Intel will release 20 New Haswell CPUs in May

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In a new report from Intel they made clear that another 20 new Haswell CPUs will be released in May 2014, including a high-end CPU processor bump. This Haswell refresh includes a Core i7-4790, Core ...

Intel will release 20 New Haswell CPUs in May

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So ... is this broadwell without the name? :-S

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    yeah kinda lame yet again you havto purchase another new board just to upgrade the cpu or make a simple cpu change....im sure Intel has people 50x the iq of me but these road maps for cpu changes etc switching back and forth is getting lame....I will stick with my xeon e3 1230 v2 as my workstation/gaming rig...as it runs almost as fast as my friends i7 4770 in games.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    They're moving the VRM off the CPU die to reduce power consumption IIRC, hence new boards needed.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Didn't they shift those to the CPU recently :-S

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    They did, but given the cheap thermal paste between the IHS and the die and the extra heat the VRM makes, just made the OCing problem even worse than IB.

8. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yawns wake me up for HW-E

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Why would you wanna upgrade anyways with a 4770K? If you want i can give you my bank account to transfer some money...

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man that sucks that you will have to purchase a new motherboard just to get these processors to work but I can understand why they did this. Less heat. Another thing that sucks is that OCers are going to have to wait until the 3rd qtr of the year for the unlocked or K processors to be released. If they purchase these processors that is. If they all ready have a either a 4670k or a 4770k then it is unlikely. When I upgrade my rig this upcoming summer I am going to stick with the 4770K since I can't wait any longer.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Actually that news is old and based on some rumors.

Look here directly from intel CEO

That VRM is not a deal breaker, z87 has VRM on mobo too :)

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    will be free upgrade so why not :banana::banana::banana:

13. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Oh my god, intel forgot about i5 4430K again

14. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    "Next generation Haswell refresh"

Next generation my ass, they're insignificant speed increases.

15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Gone are the days of BIOS updates then for supporting new/refreshed CPU's. I only just found out a few weeks ago that my Asus P8Z68 (SandyBridge) can now take Ivy Bridge CPU's (1155 socket). Then again with my current CPU, I just put it in, whipped it up to 4.5GHz and put my feet up for the last year and a half. I'm sure it could do 5.0GHz easy but my cooling isn't good enough.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    my p67 mb supports ivy too. bios update took care of that long ago. If I were to buy a new cpu it would not be IB though

17. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    The only good thing about this refresh is what you stated above,which will reduce the heat as well.
    I just hope they use solderless flux this time like on Sandy-Bridge and not some cheap thermal paste between the die and heatspreader.
    That's the reason why i went with a 2700K and not an Ivy-Bridge when i upgraded from a s775 platform.

18. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    That and the fact that folks are knocking the IHS off the chip and replacing it with clu etc lol

im not sure how intel feels about that...seems as if they don't care but imo I bet they don't want folks moddifing the chip like that...esp as long term use and difrent pressure on the dye over time is certain yet...as most delids are only 6 months old give or take....ive delidded 4 chips but for my personal setup it is not delidded for stability assurance etc...

isng correct tech. this go around and not cheaping out would be a good idea..

19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I have been told that Ivy Bridge runs a lot hotter than SandyBridge. I've just bought a new case and a Corsair H110 which I was going to keep aside until I change my i5 2500k for an i7 3770k. If the temps are going to rocket high I may need to rethink and go custom water cooler or simply wait. Time to read some reviews in the interim I think.

I've read about people taking off the heat spreaders and using their own non-metallic thermal paste to reduce the temps, if it works then fair enough.

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    hmm refresh of cpu or refresh of mobo CPU, intel should stop it already and make heat issues NONE just like Sandy Bridge.

heck SB are the best cpus ever made, i think the 2500k 2600k are the two i can say perfect, 2700K as well.