Steve Ballmer: Longhorn-Vista was the "single biggest mistake I made

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    To Be Honest Mr Ballmer your biggest mistake was not Windows Vista its Windows 8. Also The problem with Vista was the lack of drivers. And performance issues which SP1 fixed.

2. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Um no. Vista was buggy, but it wasn't plain ridiculous the way that 8 is. You can fix bugs, you can't fix the whole UI system of Win 8. It needs to be trashed

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Add to that mix old hardware and piss poor drivers support and you can have half office staff commiting suicide.
    Anyone fixed a sharing printer between Xp and Vista problem?You will understand

Yeah,anything above x32 HomePremium was better.
    Had x64 Vista Bussines Edition and it was good,until upgraded to W 7

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You got that right man. I bought the 2 Batman Games (Arkham Aslyum and City) for PC on steam and turns out to huge mistake on my part because the games refuse to save my progress.

5. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    wow, I still use Vista. And you have a lot of choices within Vista. You can enable/disable welcome window, turn on/off sidebar and UAC, use aero with or without tranparency or classic theme, you can use classic start menu or the new one and so on. It was really "Windows reimagined" after XP with calendar, gadgets, defender, sidebar, 64-bit, a new theme, new icons, superfetch, readyboost etc. I think gfwl is the biggest mistake undoubtedly and win. 8.1 start button is teh second. oh man that button or "thing" is really fake. even if you change the place of the taskbar it's still there :S

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    I used vista/longhorn for a long time and it wasn't that bad.
    maybe in 5 years he will admit metro was his worst. Well in the case of PC's.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, and now there's talk at MS HQ of getting rid of the Metro UI for their phones; the one system/device that metro was actually good on/usable.

8. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Vista? really? I was very misinformed about Vista back when it was new, I never gave it a chance, but from what I have heard, Vista wasn't actually that bad, obviously it needed some patch work, but what OS dosen't?

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Windows 7.

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I used Vista x64 since launch and never had any real issues with it. Sure, I had powerful hardware for the time, and I also spent an entire weekend tweaking it, removing bloat and crap I didn't need. But once it was up and running, it never really gave me any issues at all. Performance was good, too.

Not to say Win7 isn't better in every possible way. Win7 is excellent, though.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Same, even though i had Vista i tweaked it and it ran fine, better than XP tbh.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That rumour was started by someone not very credible (Eldar Murtazin) according to WPCentral, basically BS they were saying

http://www.wpcentral.com/stopping-rumor-mill-windows-phone-unique-ui

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^^Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

14. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    You guys seem to be forgetting that OEM vendors insisted on getting those "Vista capable" stickers for their machines, even when said machines could barely run Windows Vista.

When you take into account the fact that Vista had higher hardware requirements than XP, you get a very nice "unhappy user" recipe.

I have used Vista a bunch of times, and I have to say I got a weird bug at times: files that wouldn't copy. But then, XP was buggy at release, too. But XP's release was a long time ago, so either people have forgotten or they didn't use XP until its first or second service pack.

I think Vista got the hate mainly because it ran poorly (and, like I said ealier, that's partially due to OEM's) and because UAC prompts would occur way too often.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    XP was just as bad at launch, as it was in beta..... The only real difference was 3rd party support from hardware and software vendors.

16. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    the only extra thing i have to do with win 8.1 is login to the metro to access the desktop even my wife who was really anti win 8 now thinks its really no different to win 7

vista wasnt bad if like many say u had good hardware.

XP had an annoying problem of using 100% cpu and causing audio pops/crackles on certain machines

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've recently discovered my first true gripe about Windows8.x.... Skydrive integration. I've got a lot of files stored on Skydrive that are no longer accessible because MS requires the use of a Microsoft account to access Skydrive on Win8.1. If you've setup Windows to use a local account instead of a Microsoft account, you can't use Skydrive. I'm now in the process of migrating all the files I have stored on Skydrive to Google Drive because of this.

I'd say Skydrive integration with Windows8.1 is a bigger mistake than Vista was.....