Life-Sized Interactive Hologram Isn't Sci-Fi Anymore

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Pretty tempted to pledge $300 for one... but there isn't enough info yet imo. I want precise specs about everything they're planning.

3. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Hmm, looking at the kickstarter page the finished product will be much like the mini versions, hologram displayed in a box, you can only see it from the front.

They mention a laser version would enable them to create a hologram that could be seen at all angles. That I would back.

That said, i'm getting the impression that were just paying for their R&D so they can make a nice profit when leasing out their units for corporate presentations etc.

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Ah, the pronz... :p

5. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    A hologram which you can look at from all sides presents problems, like requiring a new cinematic language. We're used to "if it is coming from the left" it is entering and "if it is moving to the right" it is exiting. How well look furniture and cars when when the holographic monitor can only partially render these? How well works giving you a notion of height in a hologram? Things like that.

Sony showed a holographic monitor where one could walk around a few years ago. They told they were not going to do anything with it (commercially), because they didn't know what to do with it. I bet the above is the problem.

Edit: They did mention educational and research purposes, though.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  6. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    If they attach 3D cameras, and work peer to peer, like skype, they'll have everyone onboard.

Imagine skype video chat, where you can see the persons head in 3D. Imagine what this could do, when you have family fighting over seas. To be able to see their head, not just their face. Where a mother can hold a child, and the father can see just how big his baby is getting.

I want this, not as bad as i want a high res oculous rift, i want this none the less.

7. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I want to see it in real time, not a CGI video.