Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Power is temporary fun.
    Once you get used to any power level, flooring it just stops mattering. It's all the same.

A car's long term fun is mostly based on how raucous it is.
    Good engine noise, good feedback, and some drama.

Crappy cars can be the most dramatic.

I can go down a windy road in the woods in my old accord, and the car is bucking and swaying all over, the engine is straining pulling out of every turn, all kinds of noises, all smiles.
    ... and I don't even have to speed to do it.

My nissan on the same road, going the same pace, is sedate by comparison. It feels like a slow cruise.
    You really gotta push it to get any joy out of it, which means that you can't enjoy it on normal roads without being illegal.

-scheherazade

2. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    A wise man once said. :thumbup:

3. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Hmm, in some respects, maybe. I used to have a 200SX, small and light, I used to have some great fun chucking it round the back roads near me, it was all over the place and required constant adjustment on the throttle and wheel, but on the same road my big FWD Diamante was a different beast, still fun, not as chuckable, but fun none the less, but then it does boil down to your preferences too. I loathe small cars, can't be bothered with them, done it and glad I don't have to anymore and even though I now have a 528 that is not exactly chuckable, I would still have more fun, because of its weight, trying to man handle the thing into submission whilst trying to keep up with the MX5 or Civic in front, in the corners and on the straights.
    The difference is once you get on to the motorways, I hated the 200SX, 60mph and 3200rpm, you could hear the wind, road noise, engine, bumps and thumps and everything, the BMW? sit at 90mph and I'm doing 2700rpm and barely hear a thing and just waft over any perfections on the motorway surface.

Big car and medium to high power for me, no questions.

4. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    A nice highway pull does feel good, especially merging in effortlessly.

Too bad the speed limits around here are sadly low...

Then again, when I drive my parent's pickup truck, I get the impression that the speed limits are too high, lol.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    nope, im not seeing it. much rather be in a nice, fast card going any speed over going in a slow crappy car at the same speed. but yes i know what you mean how some cars feel slower at the same speed.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The exception to that rule is hybrids my ct200h if i just drive around town i get about 46mpg as soon as I hit the highway to go somewhere across the city like say work (us stupid American's love to live about 15-20 miles from where we work one of the guys I work with lives 65 miles from work:bang:) my MPG drops to 40-42.

7. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I think you're getting at a separate issue, which is that some cars are more comfortable than others.
    A lot of comfort is the damping out of vibrations and jolts.

Whereas a lot of mechanical excitement comes from conducting the vibrations/jolts to the driver.

Cars are liked for different reasons.

I like an FFR cobra, because it's jerky, loud, and has a violent turn-in.
    To most people, that's a list of things they don't want in a car, and you'd have to pay them to drive one.

Whereas I would be miserable in an E-class.

It's clear that you're after good pickup and a smooth ride.
    I personally wouldn't put that as criteria for 'exciting/fun'...
    But I can understand how my idea of excitement/fun would just be excessive/unnecessary to someone else.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^ best drivers car PERIOD is the Honda S2000 with the 2.2l engine great turn-in high corner speed makes all the right noises and a lively rear end that can be controlled nicely with a skilled right foot. A close second to this is the mazda MX-5 and I hear the new Toyota GT or the Scion FR-S as it's called in the states is really good to but I have not had the pleasure to drive one yet.

9. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    No its not the speed3, GT just means grand touring (the highest trim available as far as options)
    I debated the speed3 a lot...but I commute 15000 miles a year and I autocross (solo) I'd much rather stay in the HS racing class vs DS which includes the new mustang v6 (which is an absolute beast with racing slick hoosier a6's).

On the slow car discussion:

To tell you the honest truth ive driven an audi r8 v10 on a road course and my autocross mazda2 (demio for uk folks) was more "fun". Yes the audi was super fast and had super acceleration (and no brake dive at all)...but in just plain fun the 2 is 100hp of pure fun.

10. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I rode along in an FR-S at an autocross.
    I liked it, but for some reason I feel like I'd want an s2000 more.
    Can't say why. I just do.

-scheherazade

11. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Ahhh, I think now you are blurring the lines too, whilst I love big fast but quiet cruisers when comparing to small engined cars, if you bring something like the Cobra into the mix then of course that is different again, who doesn't like a loud v8, fat tyres and the threat of being spat off the road at every corner? If I'm going to do that, I would rather it was in something powerful and do it at 100mph rather than 50.
    I agree with some though that lower BHP can be fun on the twisties, I know I've kept up with 6L V8s in my 1.6 because I didn't have to break at every corner, but I know that soon became tiring when a hill puts a stop to any acceleration, that takes the fun out of it immediately.

12. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    The power didn't even occur to me with the Cobra example.
    I was thinking small, light, noisy, jerky, squirly.

I could have said Lotus Elise in its place.

But yeah, it's got fun power.

And it's nothing like a C63AMG.

-scheherazade

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I like my Minivan because it's a "hybrid" of sorts, it's roomy and comfortable when I just want a simple drive, but when I put my foot down it moves like it's possessed (very torque-ey) and the engine makes an incredibly satisfying sound. It's also got some really smooth and light steering. Corners are very unique at speed, because the center of gravity is high so it feels like every inch of the vehicle is resisting the turn, even though it can pull through some really tough ones. One of the most fun things ever is pulling through a winding road near my house going 50mph in that thing. So much fun, even though it's not really fast by any means.

14. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    My 900 is like that. A modern high pressure turbo diesel is probably similarly fast, but there's something about the 80's-tastic whack of torque that's just insanely addictive. And it handles amazingly. And it sounds awesome.

Really missing driving it now :(

Rebuilding the engine at the moment. Will be back soon - with more boost and much bigger ports / valves :D

15. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    S2000 is great until you push it to the limits,

I've been in one pushing a backraod for a good 8 minutes, full throttle in a sweeping 55mph 2nd gear corner, 80% steady throttle squeezing towards corner exit, grip grip grip and then without warning no grip sideways in both lanes!
    Barely had time to correct with the wheel, stayed in about 60% throttle to maintain control over it kicking the tail out in the other lane.

Those things are ridiculously twitchy at the limits.

Depends on the driver, though. I personally love it but at the same time would warn potential owners about this.

I've talked to people who have raced these on autocross and have the same issue, spinning it way too much.

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    More info/pics needed Tom. I see you went down an interesting car route but not the Italian one I had you down for all those years ago. :)

17. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Chap at Brands took me out in his S2000 at the last track day I went to. Was very impressed, very tail happy but I believe this can be nursed a little with a proper geometry setup. Still, would demand some respect out on the road. And in a straight line was level pegging with my Revo'd Cupra R so they go pretty well. Gearbox was like a rifle bolt!

I'd buy one but due to their nature they're double the insurance cost of most similar cars.

18. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I'm sure I've posted this picture about 3 times in this thread already, but never mind...

[​IMG]

Currently off the road as it's a bit crusty in a few places and had an epic oil leak (one of those 'they all do that' type things, but still a bit annoying).

Took the opportunity to fix that along with new timing chain / guides, new bearings, etc. Also installing a head off a B234 longblock (9000 Carlsson) which has somewhat bigger ports and valves.

Will be getting a new exhaust when it's back on the road as the current one had had it - thinking an Abbott stainless system as it's the same size as standard but apparently sounds a bit nicer :)

Tempted by some Bilstein B6s as well, but not sure the finances are up to all that any time soon lol

Runs alright though :) Long term goal is 200hp, but i'll keep it at base boost for a couple of k while the new bits bed down. Should be about 150-155hp i guess, then the APC will go back in and things can be turned up. Can't wait!

What're you running around in at the moment? Was gonna guess a Coupe - but sounds like you've gone over to the dark VAG side lol

Was very tempted by a Coupe 20VT myself but the 900 has been a long standing favourite for longer than I care to remember. Just need to get it back on the road!

The 155 no longer with you?

19. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Looks good mate, nice to see one being cared for and brought upto a good standard. Far too many newer cars on the roads these days. I have Bilstein B6s, would be a good replacement if you're on knackered standard dampers and springs but in all honestly I'm not sure they're worth the money. I take it you've got the Saab on a nice cheap classic policy? What's your daily runabout?

I have both a Coupe 20VT and a Cupra R. The Cupra R is **** and I just use it to spank to work and back and track days. It was a sensible commuting replacement for my much loved RX8. And my Coop is immaculate and only comes out when it's sunny. Spec is quite big but basically 330bhp with a GT28RS and handling/braking mods. I sold the 155 start of 09, has it been that long!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Never told me it was red!!! :D

Would never have thought you would get a Seat though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.