Sony Announces Wi-Fi Smartphone Lenses

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by morbias, Sep 7, 2013.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Sony's new QX10 and QX100 lens modules support Android and iOS handsets and are designed to provide optical zoom functionality along with other abilities usually associated with purpose-built digital...

Sony Announces Wi-Fi Smartphone Lenses

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nice product, But...$249.99/$499.99...no thanks...

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Yeah why not just buy a dslr, I mean the point with camera phones is they are convenient you carry them around anyway so they are nice for the quick snap

but if you carry one of these around you will need a protective bag to put it in...so might as well but a cam in the bag too...

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I can actually see quite a market for this. As a student, I always have my phone on me but I never carry around my DSLR (who does?). This little thing can go inside a small protective case in my backpacks upper pocket for whenever I feel feel the need to grab a picture and have a few second to get it out. This will allow for great group photos considering you can control it from your phone in your hand while the unit itself is perched up somewhere.

Props to Sony for thinking out the box.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^exactly my first thought

as a remote camera and shortcut to having DSLR like pictures without another device to carry around this could be great, though the price is a bit high

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I really like the concept of this and i could see buying one of this myself.

The problem is that only sony´s huge phone support this accessory leaving my Xperia Ray out of the picture...

7. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    As far as I understand it the device relies on BT for pairing and Wi-Fi for data transfer. It should be pretty independent of the physical characteristics of the phone, as evidenced by iOS support.

Granted, no guarantee that it'll work with the Ray specifically but it's certainly more phones than just the Z1.

8. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    This is just silly. lol

They should just do a smart cam like Samsung is doing.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Then you are paying again for the (poor) screen, processor, memory, etc, etc. Why do that when you can just link the lens and CMOS chip to your phone and let the phone to the rest of the heavy lifting.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You're pretty much paying for all that stuff anyway. The QX10/100 have SD card readers and image processors on them. The only cost cutting is the screen basically.

Also from reviews I heard it takes a few seconds for the camera to send the photo to the viewer via wifi-direct, which is pretty meh. I think it's a cool concept but probably has a ways to go before it's perfected.

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I think its a good concept, portability and if you want good pics you just take it out but for the price point.. I'm not too sure on it.

Preorders priced them at:
    QX100--£399 ~ $623
    QX10---£179 ~ $279

I mean to each is their own but I personally would get a real or dedicated camera for that price. But if you want to use your phone to do the picture taking then I guess thats up to you.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well there is the huge convenience factor. On the phone, I can edit the photos; I can send them to others through bluetooth, wifi, internet, MMS, etc; I can also upload it straight to cloud storage for safe keeping.

Other than a ridiculous contraption like the Galaxy Camera (ironically, Android was originally meant to be a camera OS), this is the best compromise.