Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CrazY_Milojko, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Firefox keeps corrupting itself or my profile, been happening for a week or something now, already completely uninstalled FF, deleted all traces of my profile, then reinstalled FF and imported a backup profile using MozBackup

This works for about a day, then it starts freezing and not loading pages again

Symptoms are pages saying they are loading, but just hang on the loading circle animation, sometimes the whole browser freezes for a while, and after maybe 1 minute everything works again and all pages start to load

Can't figure it out, Chrome is starting to look a more attractive option right now

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ive been using Chrome for quite some time now.
    basicly since they ruined all those beautifull addons. extentions are either quite old (so wont be updated) or dev stated to not continue it anymore.

besides the ones that were disabled, working ones have started to show weird and glitchy behaviour now as well.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I wondered if it was an addon causing it, so restarted FF in safemode with addons disabled but it did the same thing, unless the addon is corrupting the profile

But yea, I've tried moving to Chrome a few times, and it's always addons that bring me back to FF, Chrome's equivalents just aren't on par with FF's

Mainly the speeddial addon, I use that dozens of times a day and like to have it set up with specific dials in specific locations of the grid, Chrome won't let you do that, they have to be next to each other, and if you move one to another location, it shifts the location of all the tiles inbetween those two you just moved, where in FF it just swaps those two over, and you can have dials with spaces between etc

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

FF/CF seem to be iffy these days, Web sites that out right crash on 1 computer work fine on another pc that is using all the same addons. and almost identical hw. still refuse to use chrome though

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I might go back a few releases and see if it still happens, maybe they messed something up with this latest build

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The only reason I'm on firefox is because my passwords are retained between windows installations. Vivaldi (chrome) forces me to type everything again and I cba to rely on cloud **** when everything works just fine right now.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I use Lastpass, but MozBackup is a life saver between OS wipes, soon as you hit the desktop you can restore and be back exactly where you were before you wiped

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just cut and paste my profile from windows.old :p Firefox has its own sync which I use for new machines/phone but I just cut and paste because I do it for every other program anyway.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I like it, simple, easy to remember :D

I never have a windows.old, well rarely anyway, I generally backup and clean install unless it's something like RS1>RS2, but now on LTSB for life that won't be a problem, at least for a couple more years

I use Dolphin Sync on my phone to restore bookmarks, but not on Desktop

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is reason why I have my FF/CF profile on my HDD and not on my SSD which has my OS on it. all i need to do reinstall FF/CF and point it to my profile and i good to go if I had to reinstall the OS.

And in case of that being screw up, I use FF sync which only syncs my Passwords and bookmarks.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not a bad plan, I'm in the habit of creating fairly regular MozBackup backups now though, and I store them on my HDD so similar thing apart from instead of changing the location of the profile to HDD, I restore from HDD :D

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe 1 day I will actual have my profiles for FF/CF and Thunderbird on my actual SSD :banana:

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D Well still early days, but it appears downgrading to 52.0.2 has fixed the problem

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    cyberfox 52.1.3 here, I have not use offical build in years now

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was using one of them, Waterfox I think but something didn't work, can't remember now but was forced to go back to FF

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nightly x64 is pretty good and fast. Give it a shot.

Downside is that it has disabled add ons which aren't explicitly multi process compatible (it can be overridden via about:config) but it has noticeably improved responsiveness.

18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Anyone else getting crashes lately? Like there's some websites I can't enter without crashing.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I haven't, which sites are they?

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.