NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    DX11 definitely.

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    You do realize, that the TF2 AA fix has absolutely no impact on IQ or performance above DX9?
    It was only created to remedy color and line issues with driver forced/enhanced AA in DX8 and DX9 (i.e. Source and Chrome engines).

That is exactly why, we must insist on proper comparisons before adding anything.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I don't know. The actual function name doesn't mention DX9 specifically.

Would have to test it on off to be sure. /shrug.

4. type1

type1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia gtx980 sli
    Following.

5. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I've been way too busy to do anything with it lately, sorry. I might have some time later to add some better comparisons.

6. JDR13

JDR13 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770
    Anyone got a AA flag for Prey? The in-game AA is decent, but there's still some temporal aliasing. I'd to see what SGSSAA looks like there if possible.

It uses the CryEngine, but I'm assuming it's a new version.

7. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Can someone explain to me how Hybrid Sampling works?

8. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    nope that impossible because PREY use API DirectX 11 and in game no option to force MSAA, btw you can use SSAA in the configuration file C:\Users\[account name]\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg, add this line r_supersampling 2 . if your GPU can handle it

http://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1605684

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    HSAA modes are simply more than one method combined.

In the driver, standard HSAA is OGSSAA+MSAA. (8xS 1x2+4xMSAA.)
    Sometimes the flag will have to work with MSAA for it to work, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, it only works when combined also with SGSSAA.

So you could do 8xS+4xSGSSAA = 1x2 OGSSAA + 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA

This can get costly, and the results aren't always great. Though often, if you prefer a sharper image. This will get you right on the money as it can many times be too sharp. (Resolved poorly due to box filtering on all 3 counts. OGSSAA,MSAA and SGSSAA)

If you were to use forced 4xMSAA but then also use DSR for downsampling. This would also be technically HSAA.

Same if you used GeDoSaTo with built in game MSAA or PPAA.

Anything not clear?

10. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Yes.

WHAT'S THE BEST WAY WE CAN IMPROVE PREY'S AA?

*we needs it*
    *slinks off*

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Use DSR 4x.

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Exactly. That's your only option. You are at the mercy of developers. Who really in general, don't give a crap about AA or quality. They want the best they can get, for as fast as they can render the effect as possible. Extra options for better quality are lazy after thoughts.

13. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks, a friend of mine and I were discussing the 12xS mode and how the sample grid would look with the OGMSAA.

I was looking for some ss of it but couldn't find it on here.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    OGMSAA is a bit weird. I'm not sure exactly what it's doing there. Whether it's trying to use the subsamples of MSAA for the output rather than the Ordered Grid or what. But it usually ends up looking odd. It even effects overlaid OSDs.

15. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Is there any white papers of hybrid sampling to look at?

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    True, real quality AA options are a rarity these days in most games.
    And honestly I'm still far from sold on most TXAA/TAA methods, there are simply far too many compromises in terms of smearing, blurring or plain poor quality.

Proper old school DX9 SGSSAA is sorely missed in modern games.
    Native 4K/5K monitors are the closest thing, we will ever come to reaching such image quality in DX11 IMO.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not really, it's just a general term for combining two or more AA techniques. When you are using DSR for example along with in game PP or TAA. That could be considered HSAA.

Since I have been playing it a lot. Warhammer Vermintide is a prime example of this. It's labeled as being tough on the GPU in their settings annotations. But it's not at all. It barely costs anything per frame, doesn't make any significant difference in GPU usage.

And because of that, it suffers in quality. I'd put it as better than UE4 TAA, but it gets close in some areas as being as bad as it. (Smearing surfaces in motion. Inability to deal with fast movement on high contrast areas of the image which leave either an after image artifact or temporarily reduces the quality of AA on that part of the image where it has to try and play catch up to reconstruct the image.)

At 30FPS it fares even worse and all of the problems are much more visible.

The SSAO is also likewise garbage and combined with the TAA it almost negates the positive effects the TAA has and emphasizes some of it's problems.

Now if they simply just took that and made a more costly TAA technique that could potentially solve all of the problems TAA in general has these days. They all seem to be trying to follow in the footsteps of UE4 TAA. Which is not a good thing.

At least Prey uses SMAA T2x and which doesn't introduce any of the problems that the likes of Vermintide, FFXV,UE4,Fallout 4 or Unity 5 have.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  18. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I understand that part, but OGMSAA + OGSSAA is clearly out of the general area. So there must be something to documented.

19. RaygeSTG

RaygeSTG New Member

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X
    King of Fighters XIV is OpenGL, but I can't figure out how to setup TrSSAA or even if the bits I'm using even work. I could use DSR for 8K, but you lose the depth of field effect... which is a minor issue, but still irks me.

Anyone here successfully implement something for this game?

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    OpenGL? Pour quoi.

You are out of luck buddy. More than likely forcing won't do anything (SGSSAA in OGL is using "Transparency Supersampling" instead of "Sparse grid..." So you set say "4xMSAA + 4x Transparency Supersampling" and set it to "override application setting.).
    Which again leaves you to enhance the in game MSAA if it has any. And likely the quality will be meh.

There is no compatibility for OGL games. Older OGL games could force AA easily. But new ones not at all. Probably depends on which OGL version it runs.
    Look at Doom 3 vs Doom 3 BFG. You can force AA in OG D3, but not BFG.
    I was really hoping this would end up DX9 as KOFXIV has a bunch of aliasing.

DSR+Any in game AA or FXAA/SMAA is your only choice.