1 Sys fan header - 3 fans to plug

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Floydsound, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    Hi, everyone!

In a few weeks I'm going to buy these parts:

- Corsair Air 240
    - Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI (Mini-ITX)
    - ASUS GTX 1060 OC 6GB
    - i7 7700K (I know about the K, but I still don't want to overclock it :p)
    - Corsair H80i V2
    - Corsair RM650X Plus Gold
    - Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2400MHz
    - 2x SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

The thing is... My motherboard comes with only 1 CPU fan header and 1 Sys fan header.

The 2 fans attached to the H80i V2 are connected to a splitter that comes directly from its pump, so that's great: 2 fans and the pump out of the way with only 1 CPU header.

BUT... Since I live in Brazil, I'll also place 3 more 120mm fans already inclued with the case, and there's only one Sys fan header left.

The case's stock fans are 3x Corsair 3-pin A1225L12S-2 (max 1300 RPM), so is it OK to let them run 1300 RPM all the time?

If I use a 1-3 splitter, is it the same as connecting the fans through molex? Full speed all the time too?

Well, should I use a 1-3 splitter? Should I buy AF120 Quiet fans and let them run full speed? Should I connect one fan to the mobo header and the other two to the PSU anyway?

Really sorry for the long text, but thanks in advance if you read it!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    No one?

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would personally get PWM splitter something like is

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

Regarding the fans I would have look on 120mn fan if you are looking at quiet fans then Phanteks PH-F120SP or PH-F120MP are great fans which are pretty quiet and perform very nicely

But back to yours questions:

Yes you can run fans all the time at 100% or full speed, but noise can be issue for you there due this I would have look on low noise adapter like is this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NA-SRC7-4-Pin-Low-Noise-Adaptors/dp/B00KG3KP1U

Depends on yours board if you can control 3pin fan through motherboard, some boards can control 3pin or 4pin fans and plus depends on SW as well

Difference between the AF120 Quiet edition don't get it, they're far from quiet fans..

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    If i was you i would buy a cheap fan controller and hook the fans to that so you have more control over the speed. Like you i also live in a very hot country. I bought a case that has a fan hub and have attached 5 fans which i control from the case.
    It's not an easy task keeping everything cool in such hot temperatures.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I would agree but depends on case if you have there 5.25 space if yes then I would go as well with fan controller if not then Aquacomputer Aquaero 5LT or 6LT is best, cost more but offers lots of features and controls

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can get very cheap molex adapters. If you want to be able to control the fan speed, get a controller though.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Controllers aren't that expansive, I've got two floating around at home just in case, they can come in handy most of the times. Being a fan of my case fans running a fixed, low RPM, I have never regretted getting a controller. I've got two for 4 channel DC control and one for RPM (Aquaero 5) which take care of my main rig's radiator fans.

I think you'll see the best options via a fan controller, like the others stated.

8. Floydsound

Floydsound Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 10GB
    Thank you for all your answers, guys.

The thing is... Here in Brazil we don't have access to that many options. Drive bay controllers can be found, but my case doesn't have those bays. Other controllers, like the mentioned Aquaero, are simply not sold here :/

If I were to leave the 3 fans at full speed, which brand should I get? Considering Phanteks, Be Quiet!, Scythe and other brands are not sold here too (man, that pisses me off ¬¬). We manage to find Corsair, Aerocool, Thermaltake, Noctua (barely) and a few others.

Do you guys think the Arctic F12 with PWM Sharing Technology (PST) would be a nice idea? I could connect 3x Arctic F12 in a chain to a single PWM header! It' this one: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-PWM-PST-Controlled/dp/B002QVLBM2

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017