New HDD thoughts..

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by tsunami231, Dec 18, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Newegg reviews what's next? Tech syndicate? Toms hardware? Newegg means nothing. Look up some Seagate drives on there, you'll get a lot of bad reviews. In fact, Seagate seems to be getting a lot of negative feedback everywhere you look. More so than other drives?

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Rough indicator of HDD reliability (component return rates):

Seagate did have a bad rep for reliability a few years back mainly due to faulty firmware that bricked certain models, but I think they're past that now.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well anyone who has ever worked in IT can tell you how bad Hitachi drives are, they have quite a reputation. Almost as bad as Maxtor. I've seen more dead DS drives than I can remember.
    But anyway you asked for proof so I gave u the LMGTFY Deathstar link partly in jest....then on a whim I checked out your NewEgg link.

Now normally I take those reviews with a grain of salt but there's a limit to how much bad feedback one can ignore, even on newegg. lol
    I mean jeez man nearly half the drives were either DOA or died prematurely. HALF! That says something....

I'm not trying to rub it in at all, just letting u know for next time... I understand that it sucks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Just looked at those benchmarks again and I have to say they are totally skewed mate. The only time the speed dropped was when the r/w heads moved to a different platter, which takes a matter of milliseconds - 9999.99999% of the drive is well over 100MB/s.

So whoever posted those results either doesn't know how to interpret the data or else they're spreading FUD. There is nothing wrong with the transfer speed.

*PS can u plze reduce the size of your screeenshots.

@alanm: I meant to ask u this ages ago but forgot....are you from Seagate by any chance?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Okay so according to AIDA64 my 2TB Seagate has 3 platters, however the read speed is normal.
    Yes the min transfer rate was 88MB/s, but that was only for the last 100GB of the drive. The other 90% of the test it stayed between 100MB/s -210MB/s, so maybe the platters are smaller or maybe AIDA is wrong.

I'm happy though (and relieved lol).

[​IMG]

I should add that I have 8 Seagate drives installed, oldest is 7yr old 7200.8 which still purrs....also got the infamous 7200.11, FW was updated when new so all good.

6. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    pill a speed of 165 vs 135 is, in my opinion, quiet big, i can mean arounf an extra 30 minutes if wait time if you were to fill it up, and i highly doubt adida64 is always accurate, its based on a database, which can contain errors on hdd platter, head count. anyway, i cant convince anyoone to believe me, its up to you to believe what you wish, anyway, am out, laters guys

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nope. I know SG have a forum admin with same name/initial, but aint me.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have always used Seagate, I will probably always will they drives have never failed me I have drives going back 15+ years that all still work, short of the random bad sectors that all drive get as the age. I cant say the same about the Random Samsung/WD/Quantum HDD I owned they all dead and no longer boot in anyway

If I was to get different brand it will probably be the WD Black drives. And that only cause reviews say those drives are the fastest HDD out there that arnt 10000+rpm

Thanks for all the feedback though

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Todays WD Blacks are slow (vs blue). HDD speeds are mostly determined by spindle speed and platter density. Blacks dont have 1tb single platter drives yet, but blues do so they are faster. Blacks were a hit a few years ago due to their 640gb single platter drives (still have mine) and were faster then others back then. HDD scene has changed since.

10. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    Always prefer WD, never had any issues with them at all.
    New models are superb too, this is on sataII so can't wait till Jan when I upgrade the system..
    [​IMG]

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    And here's a 2tb Seagate, 155 people scored it 1/5, take that as DOA. lot of others scored it 3 or less. This is the better one of the two 2tb Seagates on Newegg, the other one reviews even worse.
    [​IMG]

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Seagate ST1000DM003 has really aggressive head parking. Chirp, chirp, chirp -> early death, probably. My mom has two, really annoying without hdparm.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Don't get me wrong. I have 2 Seagate drives, one Samsung, one Hitachi and one Toshiba. They all have worked fine for years. Also just recycled 2 250gb drives, a Seagate and a wd. Never had any issues with them.

I've been really lucky with drives, the only drive that ever broke on me was a Maxtor back in the day. Mechanical drives will break, no matter who makes them.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Head parking on the SG's is no more 'aggressive' than WD's Greens, some models which do so @ 8 secs. Still have a 4 year old WD 1tb green running healthy in an older machine. Am aware of complaints re the chirping on the SG 1tb drives and which were supposedly addressed with FW updates, but I've never experienced it on my drives even before the newer FW.

Finally, there are no statistics that show early deaths with these drives due to aggressive head parking, just theory that it 'should happen' rather than cold bare statistics.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think there is a FW update available to stop the chirping.

**Btw I weighed my HDD and it does indeed have 2 platters.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    just found a ST2000DM001 at tigerdirect but i not sure if need the so much i would pay for 100$ for one, I still think HDD prices are still inflanted since the flooding. I am leaning toward staying with seagate though