CATALYST Control Center

Discussion in 'Links' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    thanks SL2, i think i better stay away from it... *points at memory*

2. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    I take back what I said before. My graphics never looked so good. The "preview" window is a great feature for some ppl who don't know alot about tweaking (aka me)

Unreal 2k4 used to run really choppy no matter where I was and now it runs great.

Now the only problem I am having is having my refresh rate to stay @ 100. In windows it's fine but once in game it's back to 60. I tried refresh force and that didn't do the trick.

Any thoughts?

(Oh btw I have the newest ATI drivers and control panel)

thanx

-+>Aaron

Oh and one more thing, about the programs running in the background... You can just close then right when windows starts or disable them in services. You can just turn them back on when needed.

3. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 MB
    yeah i have the same problem with refresh rates and no one seems to be able to come up with a good answer to fixing them.
    so if anyone has any thoughts PLEASE tell us :)

4. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I've gone back to the normal control panel now. Much more efficient and stable.
    I'll wait for the next CCC release then try it again.

5. Kord@

Kord@ Guest

I guys , i have downloaded the 4.8 cat full ad after i download the Control center , i have instaled the driver and then the control center.

But when i restart the pc appears this message :

[​IMG]

How can i get ride of this ?

6. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Try installing .NET SP1 and reinstalling just the control panel.

7. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    I got refresh rates fixed with "Refresh Force". I just needed to restart.

Now the only thing I am wondering about is why don't I see "Overdrive" in the CCP. Does it only support some graphics cards?

Thanx

-+>Aaron

8. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    thats what im trying to use but it doesnt seem to work for me, no matter what.
    its always worked before in the past

9. Kord@

Kord@ Guest

Thanks , i have instaled the . NET v1.1 , and now it works fine...

Thanks for the help ;) :D

10. NewB4Ever

NewB4Ever Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI xl1600
    Not sure off hand, maybe there is a newer version of it out that could fix that.

:eek:
    -+>Aaron

11. X-Todd

X-Todd Master Guru

GPU:
    nah, i looked im using the most recent version 1.10

12. PhelanPKell

PhelanPKell Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 Red
    RE:

Okies, just gonna toss in my opinion for kicks.

A) For all intents, if 12-28mb of memory being used is a problem for you....than you need to upgrade

B) Can't recall where(I think it was a random site), but I read some info from Dodd at ATi that this is still a beta, without being labeled as such. Which is why it isn't being released in drivers yet. They wish to get feedback, work out bugs, etc, etc.
    (personally that classes them as pretty intelligent and considerate in my opinion)

C) Thirdly, those SMARTSHADER effects aren't new. They were in the old CP, it's just that most people probably never cared for them because there wasn't a pretty little 3D preview so you could see what the effects were.

So yes, there are bugs, there are a few things that could use some re-vamping in this new CP, but all in all, for a beta-stage effort I would say this CP is worth of a 6.5/10.

Phelan Patrick Kell

13. Frant1c

Frant1c Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro | 128MB
    i hate that cp , bah , installed 4.9 classic ...... great performance ! :D

14. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    Hi um i seem to can not find the over drive feature in the new Catalyst Control Panel is it even there any more or am i just missing it.

15. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    It seems to be missing for X800 Pros... I've heard a number of excuses ranging from not 100% built to ATI's specifications, to having to have hotkeys enabled, to having remnants of Omega/DNA drivers or ATItool on your comp. Nobody's really sure why it's gone, much less why it keeps disappearing/reappearing almost every single friggin time ATI updates Catalyst >.<

Unless it's part of some marketing scheme, there's no reason it shouldn't work for Pros... Granted, it may just be to sell more XT PEs, but still, the X800 Pro vs. 6800 GT battle is where ATI is slipping, and I think they need to give people every single excuse possible to purchase their card over it's most direct competitor...

16. Marcioab

Marcioab Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600-256VTD
    Just installed. Smooth installation btw.

If I understood correctly, this "center" is a single customization panel for both graphics standards (D3D and OpenGL), so whatever you set, it's valid for both and the Preview Window is to review the results for both so, Preview is very important in this new concept.

Preview is an OpenGL application, so I suppose ATi considers OpenGL better to represent these 2 standards.

On the other side, it's notorius ATi OpenGL weakness and D3D strongs (and the vast majority of the games are D3D).

That means ... If ATi does not care much for OpenGL but used it in a very key part of his new Control Center ... so, there is something wrong here (The Preview should be D3D)(Or OpenGL is the king of the hill ...)

Am I miss understanding all this ?

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  17. cyclinggimpe

cyclinggimpe Member

GPU:
    Asus 9600 XT (128)
    Re: Problem

I had this message after I turned "Fast Write" off as is suggested for playing Thief Deadly Shadows so I don't get kicked out to the desktop all the time. When I reboot the computer I get the "No ATI driver ...." as Hunter is getting. I re-installed the 4.9 drivers and control panel and left "Fast Write" on and now do not get this error. I haven't tried playing Thief Deadly Shadows with the Fast Write on though. I don't know if this is the same cause.

18. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    a few questions about the newer control center that comes with 4.10's.

does refresh force work yet or is there possibly an option in the CCC that lets you override the default D3D and Ogl refresh rates of 60 Hz's ?

does geometry instancing work with Ogl or D3D only ?

19. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Refresh force does work for both OpenGL and D3D, Geometry Instancing is just for D3D.

20. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    cheers for the info :)