Best OS for games in here

Discussion in 'Links' started by Dave, Nov 25, 2002.

1. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

this does include a desktop and a laptop:

Laptop Specs are:
    Ibm t21:

P3 800 384mb
    20 Gb HDD
    DVD Rom
    Wireless Card

2. claypigeon

claypigeon Active Member

GPU:
    leadtek 6800gt
    Its true that xp has a lot of added features that 2000 doesn't and this was done to make it easier for newbies to get into computing. Unfortunately most (such as cd burning and movie maker) are pretty stripped down and not adequate for someone who really knows what they are doing anyway. I have xp installed because my wife uses the computer some, but I also dual boot 98se which is good for gaming but you cant throw a whole lot at it or win me without them crashing. Personally I would choose win 2k and install third party software that fits your needs because you will outgrow xp's built in features. BTW win 98 allows you to boot into dos which is good if you have to flash your video card or something like I do without the need of a floppy drive.

3. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Ok, here is the deal.

I've tried all versions of Windows on my system and same hardware and same stuff, one thing i noticed is that sound has some problems with 98 (not very clear) and graphics arent that smooth and nice as in XP.

XP has a new standard of managing drivers and applications which other operating systems didnt and (dont) offer.

Preferably i choose Windows XP over all operating systems, even Linux.

If you have a rig with good hardware and configuration you can have an uptime of over 2 years with windows xp with no problems.

4. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070

5. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    well, linux is a very stable OS, and it's very fast on slow computers, I like it very much.

6. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    It has an effecient Core

7. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

Any one have Bloatware problems with XP? I did and even in gaming. Does w2k have that issue?

8. SAMman

SAMman Guest

is their any downside to taking that meory optimze recommendation on the first page for win xp?
    ive never really tweaked my machine before and am cautious- why does windows not ship with these options enabled like that?

9. Disturbedsaz

Disturbedsaz Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 270 4gb
    have any of u guys tried with window 2003 with games? cuz if it's better than xp...i'm going for it

10. backbydemand

backbydemand Guest

Hang on a moment,

If 26% of the worlds 500 fastest computers run Linux, stands to reason that the remaining 74%, errr, dont...

- right, I know its an old game but im gutted I cant run Duke Nukem 3D on XP, i have retained a crappy old P3 with Win 95 just so I can play it.

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Try DOSBox

12. StatyxiVi

StatyxiVi Guest

I <3 windows 2003 :p

13. computeerrgghh

computeerrgghh Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 Pro \ 64 mb 9600 mobility
    have you tried running the "windows compatability mode" for xp... it is supposed to allow u to run programs as if u were in an older OS (dunno how well it works though) and btw although fast machines run linux, the benchies on Anandtech show that linux is slower in games like doom 3 :(

14. adrenacrome

adrenacrome Member

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia FX5950 Ultra ->Flash
    Definently Windows 64 bit when it's availible but I recommend W2K pro or XP pro since they use the NT file system which owns... If you already have XP just stick with it until W64 comes out.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  15. AsherH

AsherH Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800
    do you need a 64 bit processor for when windows xp 64 comes out?

16. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I've used gentoo for about 2 months, and while it was a fun learning experience it was nothing to get excited about gaming wise. Gaming performance in linux is roughly the same if not less. Plus there is a lack of support of specific game options compared to the windows alternative. No 5.1 sound gaming support, slight loss of image quality (specifically shadows). If there actually was better performance in linux gaming it would be because it is less capable.

17. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I tried it briefly maybe a slight performance gain if any, since it is better optimisedout of the box, but some games won't install on it by any normal means, since it is not mean for gaming on. Doom3 being one of those conviced me not to explore too far.

18. Cogar

Cogar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT
    I doubt that many people outside of Microsoft know for sure, but a 64-bit processor is probably not required. Here is a brief comment on this topic.

http://microsoft.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000227020909/

19. StatyxiVi

StatyxiVi Guest

i'm sure microsoft wouldn't make their systems 64-bit only, although they might release a 64-bit only version it will undoubtedly come in 32-bit as well...they'd be eliminating at least 1/3 of their market if not much much more.

20. mr.popo

mr.popo Master Guru

GPU:
    CLub-3d 7600GT 256mb
    i am using auslogic boostspeed. this software really rock,very easy to set up. just 1 click i can adjust my pc gaming, it desable automaticly windows services which are not necesary for gaming.