Refresh Rate and Games

Discussion in 'Links' started by s3R!4LK!LL3r, May 22, 2003.

1. Dublo7

Dublo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512mb OC @ 700/1750/999
    SO Should I just turn off 75 hurtz or use the over ride refresh rate in the nvidia options.

2. FreemanHL2

FreemanHL2 Guest

OK everyone, the refresh rate tells you how many times you're monitor refreshes the sreen every second (for those who don't know)

If you have a really fast framerate then graphics is going to move really fast across youre screen, if this is the case and you only have a 60Hz refresh rate then you're monitor is going to be refreshing slower than the movement on the screen, this will cause tearing.

So a higher refresh rate has it's advantages such as:

SMOOTH PERFORMANCE, you're mouse will even work smoother because the monitor is refreshing the cursor faster.

NO TEARING, fast framerates will nowlonger cause tearing in the screen.

BETTER COLOR, don't ask it just gives you better color.

Everyone who DEOSN'T have refresh rate problems on 60Hz has a graphics card with a low framerate, therefore the monitor deosn't have to keep up with the frames on the screen.

3. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Framerates

I concur......mine is always set to 85 Hz....my monitor can refresh up to 120 Hz:D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  4. six

six Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Yeah but what I meant was my refr rate stays at 85hz or whatever I set it to, it does not drop to 60; I just don't have that issue and I don't understand why. Is it only a problem with open GL?

5. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    I just downloaded the FarCry Benchmark and first ran the tests with OpenGL and then DirectX and the OpenGL was very slow but the DirectX test showed impovements of more than 40 fps.....maybe try updating to the lastest greatest 9700 Pro Cat. drivers......

6. Radium6879

Radium6879 Guest

Whats nice about Radeon is you can set force refresh rate and you don't need a denotator or a 3rd person prog...just go to displays under the advanced display settings and u can set it there.

7. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Are higher refresh rates known to give better FPS on games like Doom3 with Vsync OFF? What about ON?

I have a average 35 FPS on my pc for doom3 but sometimes it drops to mid 20s. Could Vsync or a higher refresh rate help?

8. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    When you turn off v-sync, your FPS will be a bit higher I think, at least in my case it is. Try unpacking all of the pk4 files in the doom 3 directory, that's known to give a FPS boost to.

9. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    how do you do that?

10. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Take winzip, then go to the doom 3 directory, rename all the pk4 files to .zip (pak001.pk4 becomes pak001.zip) and then unpack them in the doom 3 directory. When your done, the game should start up and play a lot smoother then before, because normally doom 3 would have to unpack those pk4 files while your playing the game. Some people went from playing on medium settings (800X600 on medium quality) to 1024X786 with high quality and 4xAA enabled, just by unpacking those pk4 files. When the game doesn't start anymore, just put back the pk4 files from the cd, or backup you pk4 files before you unpack them. BTW, your game will use 4 GB of HD space, in stead of 2 GB or something like that.

11. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    What do you mean by the game wont start anymore? Is it like temporary?

12. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Also where do I unpack them on ...\Doom3 or ...\Doom3\base?

13. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well, when you do it wrong, the game won't start anymore, you need to unpack ALL of the pk4 files in the same directory from where they came, in this case the base folder. Winzip will make a lot of folders, don't change anything in those folders. The game will work fine if you don't do anything wrong. So when you start up the game, and it doesn't run anymore, just delete all the unpacked files, replace the pk4 files, and try again. It's actually the same with any other ID game, like quake III arena. You can unpack those pk3 files too, and put them in the baseq3 folder. This makes the game run a bit faster on older pc's. Another tip for doom 3, open up the DoomConfig.cfg and change the line set image_cacheMegs to 128 or 256, this gives an enormous boost in performance. If you're not getting the unpack thing to work, just try this one instead. Remember to make a back-up of the config file. Then you can always put it back if you messed something up. Look for other lines in the config file too, maybe you can do something else to change the performance.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  14. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Thanks dude!

15. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Did everything work? What settings do you use now?

16. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    It all worked great though it seems to me like loading time is longer, I got an average 5 FPS increase so I just turned on 2X AA.

800X600 Medium quality with bump maps and specular filter

With that I can get an average 35 FPS

17. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well, you're right I guess, my loading times are a bit longer too, but I can crank up the settings to 1024X768 High quality with 4xAA, and I must say, the game is looking pretty good :p

18. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I bet but you have a DX9 card and I dont. That makes a huge difference.

19. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I've got another PC with a Ti 4200 from asus (128 mb) and doom isn't running very well on that one. My friends got a Ti 4400 (also from asus) and he tried the demo. He told me that he could play the game on medium settings. You just have to get a better card for these sort of games to run very well.

20. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Yeah I am thinking of getting a FX 5700 maybe on Xmas