Info on Dual-Channel

Discussion in 'Links' started by Twinke Masta, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    In bandwidth there will, because 266 ram has a peak (theoretical) bandwidth of 2.1 Gb/s, and 400 ram is 3.2 Gb/s.

You would notice the difference, but i dunno if it's worth spending any money to get that diff

2. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    The problem here is the FSB and Chipset even if the ram is 400mhz it is not 400mhz by itself it needs a chipset that can send the 400mhz to the ram in the first place, and when your ram and fsb are not = to each other then its a bottleneck and does not perform at peak speeds because the one has to slow down to match the other. You will not get your ram to run at 400Mhz your chipset cannot send that signal.

3. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    And there is a huge difference in a machine that runs at 200fsb and one that runs at 133 fsb , on my own machine if I run at 166fsb or 210fsb I can see a huge performance gain in all applications. But you need to understand that the stick of RAM is not self powered its powered by the chipset on the motherboard. So in your case the ram would be better only if you increased the FSB past the stock 133 this is overclocking and then you need RAM that is faster then the stock 266 that your using now. Other than that at stock speeds of 266 RAM rated 400 running at 266 on your board will be exactly the same as RAM 266 running at 266. I hope this makes this easier to understand. The only way to gain performance in your case would be to 1: overclock 2: change motherboards 3: change cpu's 4: change graphics card

or all of the above lol ... if you buy ram today and buy ram rated 266 its a waste of money because for a few bucks more you can get the 400 rated or higher and be ready for when you change motherboards, cpu's ect ect .

4. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    No im going for the 400 stuff at £50 a piece (512),

5. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I made the cheap Ebuyer PC2700 work at 360 :D. PSU won't though, but i'm buying a 470W super flower soon to deal with that. Have you thought about getting some of the sexy low latency Corsair or Kingston RAM? that way, you'll have some headroom if you decide to Overclock which is always nice

6. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Yes I can get PC3200 to run at 420mhz some good ram can be oc'ed a little but its never enough lol

Need to spend more money on RAM soon I think ;)

7. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Guys.... Why spend a fortune on computers that will run games perfectly well already? I've never understood why people HAVE to have the latest hardware.

I saw one person say "My Geforce FX 9500 Ultra is old, I need a new one", I just thought where the f**k is your money coming from? You must be seriously in debt. Do you all sacrafice your social lifes for bits of over priced hardware? It just seems like a competition to me, if someone has better hardware they try and make that obvious with the sole objective of making others envious! So therefore those 'others' go and buy more hardware.

I would expect people to upgrade their computers if they had a Geforce 2, 256MB RAM, 1.3GHz processor and a 20 GB hard drive not a Geforce 4 TI4600, 2.5GHz processor, 512 MB RAM and a 120GB HDD. Jeeze, its criminal.

No offence intended here but it just seems totally rediculous to me, we are humans after all and us men especially are meant to be 'hunter, gatherers' not mole type hermits.

Again no offence intended.

8. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Well I agree its not about is mine better then yours I find that just plain stupid, But I think some people see their computers as a social standing, kind of the same way people do with thier cars, and homes, you know if the guy next door buys a new car well hell you gotta buy one too!!

LOL not me I just enjoy my computer and like to fiddle and add to it when I can, I dont see what wrong with "Geforce 2, 256MB RAM, 1.3GHz processor and a 20 GB hard drive" not a bad little setup cept maybe the vid card LOL

j/k for me its part of my work I work with computers, I used to work with cars I was the same way then always messing with that at the time.

5 years ago you could not find a 20gig hard drive this is a fast moving game thats for sure.

9. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Yeah i know what you mean. I know someone who upgraded from a 2800 to a 3000 and was surprised when there was no difference. Anyway there you are.

I only upgrade something if i will notice the difference (a lot), so like when people "upgrade" from PC2100 to PC2700 etc. on a 266 fsb Processor...

10. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Ok I have a brand new problem but I don't want to Spam and start a whole new topic on it.

Im facing a big dilemma, I went and ordered the wrong RAM (2x512 that didnt support DC- Companies fault and they apologised) but I have got a total refund.

Now my current processor I feel is getting a touch old, its a 2.2Ghz P4 400Mhz... Now I can get a 2.8Ghz (533 MHz because my mobo don't support 800) for £100. My current RAM as you know is 2x256 PC2100. Do you think the processor is the cause of some of the slow frame rates?

Example: When I play H&D2 (Tactical FPS shooter) I have to turn sound acceleration off to get the game to run smoothly. Would that be because my specific low spec processor is getting eaten up by all the sound requirements? I fail to see how it can be anything to do with the RAM.

Damn damn damn... Why me?! :(

Oh and here is a screenshot of the PC3200 RAM I got and its respective frequencies, I feel that something is not right here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004

11. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Well your ram is running at the same speed as the CPU which is fine.. and yes get a better cpu if you can the 100mhz fsb is a drag the one you have now ...and yes a better cpu will improve performance thats for sure.. I dont feel like looking back but what graphics card do you have right now?

12. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Geforce 4 TI4800 SE 128MB which I feel is more than capable of running most games out today nice and smoothly BAR FAR CRY.

So what do you suggest? New CPU or new RAM?

EDIT: Ok well this is weird, I have managed to overclock my CPU from 2.20 to 2.53 and it still runs perfectly stable. The temp. has not increased at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  13. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Well your using the PC3200 now no?

Thats what you showed a couple of pages back, Sure get a better CPU why not and yes that card is fine for now and will be for another year or so , even if you need to turn down some details or play at lower resolutions with some of the harder to run titles we will see soon.

Nothing weird about the slight overclock without temp raise... its only when you will get so far then, when you need to raise the vcore that's when the temps will raise.

14. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Is there any chance we can use an Instant Messenger for this problem. It will only be until I can get the fundamentals sorted then we can delete each other (Please because I am seriously getting sick of computers). I need a more 'hands on' diagnostic, using a forum just isn't the way to go.

Just to extend everything; you say that my RAM and CPU speeds are the same and thats fine? But then why does a mate of mine have an FSB running at 133Mhz with a P4 1.8Ghz running at 266 Bus speed? Surely my FSB should be running at least 140? I read something about quadmounting (I cant remember the name exactly) but that may have something to do with it. God darn I wish I had more time to study this stuff then I wouldn't be asking these inane questions.

P.S I have sent the PC3200 back for a refund and may get a new processor instead so the RAM I was using in that screenshot was PC2100 (The old stuff). However, even though I stuck the new PC3200 RAM in there was no FSB increase it just stayed at 101 MHz. There was also no real performance increase in games.

Im slowly dying here.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  15. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Relax mate your not doing anything wrong, 133 = 266 this is normal in the bios we read it as 133 but from windows we will always see the X 2 , like me I am at 210 FSB mhz in bios but that = 420 mhz again this is normal. See the RAM PC3200 is rated for 400 mhz well that would mean the FSB = 200 x 2 = 400 mhz

Now when you added the PC3200 all you did was give yourself a higher bar to play with but the RAM mhz = CPU mhz in the bios

Thats the best way to have it set ... ok so as we saw in your sceen shots your FSB = 100 but that was = to 200 mhz agian this is normal and at that setting your RAM is at 200 mhz also ... If your RAM is able to handle 266 MHZ then that would mean FSB mhz would = 133 mhz

Dont try to make this so complicated it really is not that hard to understand ... just go get a better CPU and with the PC2100 your good for a CPU that runs at 133 FSB mhz = 266 mhz total frequency like your buddies.

16. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Oh I see so my RAM is basically not capable of 266? Only 200?

But surely when I put the PC3200 RAM in it would have auto configred itself to run at the highest possible (No overclocking) FSB Speed? Like 200... (200 x2 = 400).

17. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    no your ram is set to match the cpu so cpu = 100 there fore ram = 200

Now if your cpu = 133 then your ram would be 266

and because your ram is rated 133 or if you like 266 then your ram can handle a cpu of 133

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    does my nforce1 support dual channel?

19. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB

No not that I can see on their site :(

20. Titanman

Titanman Guest

These pics show my RAM's specs.. just wondering if they woudl be usefull as dual channel ram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]