Info on Dual-Channel

Discussion in 'Links' started by Twinke Masta, Dec 30, 2003.

1. AZT3C

AZT3C Guest

help!

here's my question i have 2 sticks 256mb(512 total) CL 2.5-4-4-8 OCZ Dual Channel Gold Edition PC-4000, dual channel is enabled everything is working perfect , but after playing Far Cry i noticed that i need 1gig for the game to run on very high settings so what i want to know is if i get 2 more sticks of 256mb CL 2.5-4-4-8 OCZ Dual Channel Gold Edition PC-4000 will the dual channel still be enabled? or i need to get 2X512 matched pairs

thx in advance :)

2. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I would suggest 2 sticks not 4 the reason being that some boards act flakey when all the dimm's are in use, mine for example with all 4 dimm's in use was fine at stock speeds 166 x 13 .. but was unstable at anything above 180 FSB ..

3. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    Re: help!

I was considering this dilemma when I built my current PC last year. However, my mobo only has 3 slots, and Dual-DDR gets disabled when you use all three. Plus, the FSB on my mobo would drop down to 333 mhz rather than the 400 it's at- it might have a noticeable affect on game performance.

I opted for two 512 mb sticks rather than two 256 mb ones for the reason that 512 mb is probably sufficient for now, but not next year. I intend to keep this machine for another two years before I get a new motherboard/CPU. By then, I'm certain 64-bit CPUs would actually become a requirement for some games and applications.

Just one question- is the AthlonFX and Athlon64 only different in that the FX has dual-channel memory controller?

4. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    I'm Stuck.

I was or am hoping to get 2x512 PC3200 DDRAM but I have just worked out that my motherboard (Gigabyte GA - 8INXP) supports only Dual Channel DDR 266/DDR200 which I fear will only run PC2100 and lower.

I am very confused... Only really thought about RAM yesterday and its implications on my gaming FPS.

Here are the specs for my motherboard memory modules::::

4 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
    Supports Dual Channel DDR266/DDR200 DIMM
    Supports 128MB/256MB/512MB/1GB unbuffered DRAM
    Supports up to 4GB DRAM (Max)
    Supports only 2.5V DDR DIMM
    Supports 64bit ECC type DRAM integrity mode

Will those specs run this:::

400MHz 184Pin 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec

Oh and I have a P4 Northwood 2.2 GHz 400MHZ (FSB)

Help me please.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004

5. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    The ram will only run at the 266 mhz speed as indicated by the board .. it cannot run faster then the chipset can drive it ...... but if you bought the ram you could always use it now at 266 and move it to another board later one that supports 400mhz

6. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Re: Re: help!

What board and what configuration ?? See the way it works with 3 dimm's is #1 256mb #2 512mb #3 256mb and that works in duel channel now the catch is the SS , DS some boards you need to check and make sure you respect the proper configurations .. its all listed in the mobo's manuals but I am sure 3 dimms work in duel channel because I do it all the time on at least 4 different motherboards made by different company's

SS = single sided
    DS = double sided

7. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Thanks for that, its cleared alot up :)

So I guess this is where overclocking comes in? :(

If I bought a Gig of PC3200, would it dramatically change the frame rates I get in games compared to the 512 of PC2100 I have now? (I get 30 in FAR CRY on Medium/High settings which is ok I guess considering my system) but in Hidden & Dangerous 2 I need to turn Sound Hardware Acceleration off to get better frame rates :(

8. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    By using Ram set to same speed as the cpu's fsb is the best way to have it set, so if the CPU runs at 200mhz , 333mhz , or 400mhz then you set the ram at 100% or a ratio off 1:1 to match the cpu's fsb.

If your ram is all ready set at the same speed then no you won't see an increase, When you want to overclock you need Ram that can run higher then the CPU so again if your CPU runs at 333mhz then Ram that can handle 400mhz is what you would use because this way when you go past the 333 normal settings for CPU to let's say 375 for example the Ram still has 25mhz of play ... this way there is no stress on the Ram.

Ram can be overclocked a little but its usally the first thing that reaches the limits when over clocking thats why I always use Ram that is the next level higher then the board can handle when I intend to overclock like in your case I would have got ram that handles 333mhz because your board said 266 so I would have gone up one level.

But as I said you can always keep the ram and move your stuff to another board at anytime, if needed.

9. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    So your saying I won't see an increase in performance if I buy 1GB of PC3200 from 512 MB of PC2100? (In accordance with the specs I posted above).

All I really want to do is take the old stuff out and put the new stuff in (A.k.a PC3200). Over clocking is a last resort, its something I really don't want to go near (Too scared).

10. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Only get as much ram as you need. I have 512 and it's hard to fill up more than about 400 of it. If you have enough, if you're using 300mb of it, then 512 will be as fast as 4096. Run it at a 1:1 ratio it makes a big diff.

11. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    I wish I knew how with my BIOS... I still don't understand the 1:1 Ratio business.

12. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    On mine which is an Award bios, go into the advanced chipset stuff, and change the system performance to manual. Then, select 1:1 in the FSB/DRAM ratio. Dunno what your bios is like, but that's how it works on mine

13. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Right, i'll go and have a look for something similar in my BIOS.

EDIT: Nope, nothing about setting ratio's :( Just Memory timings etc.

The processor clock is set at 100MHZ, not sure if thats right.

Here are 2 shots taken with Sandra, don't know if they make any sense.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the version of my BIOS:

[​IMG]

Here is the closest I could really get:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  14. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Hmm try changing the top thing to "enabled" if you haven't already that might get you somewhere

15. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Yes you need to set the bios to either enabled or in some cases expert to be able to change the ram speed what your looking for is ram speed or resulting fequency and it needs to match the cpu fsb now if thats at 100mhz then the ram is going to be 200mhz which is normal it is 2 x the fsb as in my case FSB = 210mhz and ram is 420mhz but I will say this 1 gig of ram is mighty nice and its easy to use 300mb of ram and if you did and only had 212mb left you are going to see that your machine with 1 gig will be very smooth. Win XP loves RAM no way around that.

Go for it buy the RAM its not going to be lost in the future

16. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    surely though, as long as it's not swapping all the time, then you don't notice the difference? cos when i went from 512 -> 768 by stealing RAM from my other machine, the benchmark results stayed still

17. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Well it would appear that my MOBO's tweak utility said the RAM was at 200 and the CPU at 100 so I guess thats 1:1 then, thanks! :D

Right off to get the RAM, it has to do something at least!

My computer is slowly upgrading itself, next it'll be the processor - what fun :rolleyes:

Last thing: Will the new RAM mean I can perhaps overclock by CPU to a higher clock Freq.? Because at the moment anything above 100 means the computer reboots and resets.

18. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    That's what i was getting. FSB at 266, RAM at 333
    Without any voltage adjustments (i didn't have the guts back then:D ), the system wouldn't post at above a 338 ram speed so i backed the ram off to 266 and gave it a 1:1 ratio, then brought the FSB up, and now it's at 350, so it does help

19. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Ah ha I see that your seeing the light my fellow tweakers

Very good and yes when you have ram that can handle higher speeds this is what allows you to set the ram at 1:1 and then edge the FSB up in small amounts and of course because the ram is set to follow the FSB you will start to really see a performance gain as the fsb is raised.

Now the only thing you really need to moniter is the temps, you will get to a point where you are no longer able to post at a certain fsb or you will hit windows and it is crash / restart this is where voltage comes into play and then you edge up the vcore on the cpu BUT <<<< you need to have good cooling a stock fan is out of the question here , well I am glad to see you all caught the overclockers virus . Word of warning YOUR HOOKED FOR LIFE

yes when you start to tweak and fiddle in the middle you just can't stop

lolol

Peace:D

20. PandaKing

PandaKing Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Not me im afraid, I just want to play games at playable frame rates with good quality. This overclocking business is dangerous and if you screw up it's bye bye money (Im not saying you will screw up). My computer is perfectly stable, I left it on for 5 days once (by accident) and came back and everything worked very smoothly, like as if it had been only turned on for 5 minutes. But then why if it is this stable and runs IE and other applications without a hitch or a slowdown, why do I get poor frames in Hidden and Dangerous 2 and Deus Ex 2? This is why I have come to conclude that I simply need more RAM and at better quality.

However I have stalled on the fact that my motherboard only supports RAM of 200/266 MHz. Will there be much of a difference between 400 MHz (Which is the RAMS max) and 266Mhz?