Flashing Cards. People still have problems. This might help.

Discussion in 'Links' started by Chouji, Jan 11, 2004.

1. fragglefart

fragglefart Guest

Heh thanks for replying.
    Seriously, i tried everything, several bios, all the different approaches, everything. WinXp boot , win ME AND 98!
    Tried to get the write protect off, nothing.... simply refused to work.
    Im not kidding i tried every approach with every combination for about 2 hours.....

....but i finally got it to work!
    somewhere (cant remember where, i have been to soooo many sites) there was a gainward pack with a .bat file, so i ran the bat and it gave me some weird errors, kinda like the vendor id mismatch but a bit different, then it asked if i wanted to flash, and it was smoothe sailing from there.

I know you guys put up with a lot of "i dunno what ive done, think ive killed my card", but seriously i had printed out all the front page, read every post here and other sites, printed out the nvflash commands from the readme, the lot.
    I did it all right, and it STILL didnt flash, so im thinking there must be other guys flummoxed at why their cards arent flashing either.
    The only thing i could think of, was perhaps it had something to do with the Quaddro softmod.

Ah well. its sorted now
    Currently running at 530/1000 no probs at all. :)
    Superb. So if anyone else has the same trouble i did (god knows why the card wouldnt flash, the procedure wasnt exactly hard!)
    track down that gainward .bat to sort it out for you!:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2004
  2. Bondolus

Bondolus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD 3600 512mb
    sorry to all if i missed this but, i have a GF4 Ti 4200 128mb made by Chaintech, should i bother flashing the bios? Always been curious about doing it...

Thanks,

3. jfolds

jfolds Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 470
    looking for chaintech fx 5950 ultra bios ;)

If anyone has a chaintech fx 5950 ultra bios please post a link or email it to me

Chaintech fx 5900's use the integrated vivo chip, so a chaintech bios should work good for integrated vivo's

I've got a chaintech fx 5900 myself, and i'm dying to flash but i need vivo so please if you have the chaintech bios please post it

thanks,

Jamie

jfolds1@alltel.net

4. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    jfolds, you cant ask for Bios files here. i tried making that clear. you been praticly spamming it.. just use leadtek bios chief.. and there are different Vivo chips, i will make a thread about how to do that.

and a ti4200 can probably be flashed to a 4400, wouldnt try for anything higher then that though. been doing a little research on the Ti's soo, dont go higher then 4400, and dont make a mistake and use the mx440 bios either.

5. johnston21

johnston21 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT512 1300-defaul
    Flash Gone Bad!

MSI 5900U (256): Tried to flash with the msi 5950U bios. It went bad, and the floppy isn't reading the boot disk when trying to boot up to do a "blind flash" with the saved orig. bios. I made sure that the floppy was set to the 1'st boot device.

Options (other than cry)? Can I send it to MSI to be reflashed?

6. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

I would seriously doubt that. If you have a PCI video card or have a friend that you could borrow one from, than you can boot using it and reflash it....

7. jfolds

jfolds Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 470
    I had the same problem flashing a cdrw drive once.... since then, i've been scared to death of using a floppy for a flash. THe disk booted once, and allowed me to flash but goofed and then the disk was somehow instantly a bad disk.

after reading all this about flashing to a 5950, i put in an order for a usb jumpdrive. I think that would be a whole lot safer to flash from than a floppy.

Jamie

8. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Well flashing using a floppy is pretty safe, unless you put your floppies near speakers or magnets of any kind.

the video card shouldnt interfeir with your boot selection.. if need be disconnect all your hard drives, then put the floppy in the computer and start it up. So it has to read the floppy, even if it isnt set to 1st.

wait tell after you think the dos is done. but if you using a floppy with a selection like windows ME boot disk it has like "start setup, start dos with cdrom support, and start dos without cd roms support" and stuff. you will want to use one without a selection

such as a windows 98, or 95 boot disk..

And to give you guys a note i did mention before a couple times somewhere on these forums. I do support gainward bios and leadtek bios. i do not support the MSI bios personally. i did not care for its compadibility,.. though i got it to flash to different cards, it wasnt a smooth flash.. not like the leadtek bios, which i support very openly.

This time try using the leadtek bios. or if you must use the gainward bios. as those i have both tried and both worked very well.

9. johnston21

johnston21 Master Guru

GPU:
    Re: Flash Gone Bad!

I've triple checked, and the rig will not allow a floppy boot with the dead vid card. No probs booting with the floppy when I put another (working) AGP vid card in. Even tried "Halt on No Errors."

So, I can get a PCI vid card for $20 (cdn). Would someone please explain how I would go about reflashing the AGP vid card using a PCI vid card to boot the floppy.

Have yet to hear back from MSI re: my RMA request.

10. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    ok, do this, put the pci card in, and take the agp card out, goto your bios, and set your main video selection to PCI "it gives a choice of pci or agp"

then shut down put the agp card in, both agp and pci card at the same time. i would advise have harddrives unplugged. so it doesnt boot into windows and reflash it.

"the monitor would be hooked up to the pci card"

if it flashes ok, which you will be able to tell. then restart with your monitor hooked up to the agp card..

"might have to reselect agp in bios, but boot back into dos using the agp card or boot up without harddrive, just to make sure"

and i would NOT rma the card, as they will charge you to repair it as flashing voids the warrenty.

use only your original bios, or the leadtek, not the msi 5950u or any other bios.

either leadtek bios, or your original bios, which you backed up.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004

11. johnston21

johnston21 Master Guru

GPU:
    The floppy drive will not boot when the dead agp card is in at the same time as the pci card.

Other options?

12. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    no.. like that doesnt even make sense.. the agp has nothing to do with the floppy drive, i dont see how that is even possible.

im not saying its not possible as you seem to have that problem, but i couldnt even simulate this problem or recreate this for that matter..

i seriously have no clue whats going on, i tested 4 different cards, a gainward, a leadtek and 2 bfg's.. none of them had problems, i recreated the vivo problems then fixed them to test and make a repair guide.

but i've never even seen a problem like this. unless you got a spare harddrive you can make into a dos boot drive, "like a dos boot disk, but on a spare harddrive" i dont know what to say.

are you able to see out of the pci card when both the pci card and the agp card are in at the same time?

Edit:
    ok its 11:17am i been awake all night, i got problems with daylight.. hurts my skin,

going to bed now. anyone who leaves a message look at the time at the bottom of this post its "last edit time"

then add like 15 or so hours to that, and thats when i will be back on to answer your questions. PMing me is good with support, but make sure its support related.

13. johnston21

johnston21 Master Guru

GPU:
    Trying to Recover

Ok, so I got an older PC with a PCI vid card, and I'm able to boot up the DOS floppy. When I enter the command "nvflash -f <filename.rom>" I get a message returned "Opened <filename.rom> successfully." Then it just sits there. It does not return to the a:/> prompt. The card still appears to be dead. When I tried "wfflash.exe nm <filename.rom>" it retuned the message "No NV devices found", so it appears that I cannot use wfflash.

Edit: Received my RMA, it's a local address, so off it goes.

14. ruff97

ruff97 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 7900GTO
    ok i have some some problem like PaintballerGFX

"I have an XFX FX5900 128mb 256bit

When I try to use NVFlash, i get the EEPROM error, and I don't know what to do. I can backup fine, but i can't write to the bios. I tries WFFLASH too, but that wasn't working for me either

Any tips?"

can u help Chouji

15. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    your going to have to tell me what the eeprom error says.. and what step it happened at.

you guys arent giving me enough info here.. it would be like me saying my game crashed...

without telling you what game or anything like that..

gotta give me more info. and its not just nvflash -f filename.rom thats only if its the same brand bios..

you need to use nvflash -f filename.rom -u -p

nvflash can use a force flash which bypasses just about everything. and works most of the time. "though not all"

nvflash -r -5 -6 -f filename.rom -u -p

nvflash does have a readme file which list commands as well.

Edit forgot to add you MUST!!! use NVflash 4.41 i saw someone mention it in another thread and i totally forgot to tell everyone to use 4.41 as 4.46 doesnt override propperly. soo remember.. 4.41 it can be found in the link on the first post on this thread

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004

16. ruff97

ruff97 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 7900GTO
    ok the error i an get now is

EEPROM promgramming failed and

Error: Mismatch in 256 byte page-mode programming

17. ruff97

ruff97 Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 7900GTO
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  18. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    yes -r removed write protection, it can be re-enabled with -w if you needed. but only time write protection is needed is if someone makes their video bios cacheable. which isnt a very good idea.. but does work for mild performance boost. though not much of one.

happy to hear it work. you can probably oc 500/1000 maybe but becareful and you can beat your older score, because the core voltage is higher it can OC higher.

19. Amadeus

Amadeus New Member

GPU:
    MSI 5900
    VIVO - working in DOS only????

Hm.. Igot a weird one now.

I finally found a BIOS (chaintech 5950 from Mavke) that will work with VIVO on my MSI 5900.

The truble is, this works in DOS only, and also when it is loading windows XP.

As soon as windows XP has loaded (login screen) I get the blank picture on my TV!

So i got TV out in DOS but not in windows?

I reinstalled drivers and WDM and still no luck!

BTW this chaintech BIOS is using the integrated controller which works (I have a DOS screen on my TV) same as my MSI 5900.

20. johnston21

johnston21 Master Guru

GPU:
    Perhaps this was what was preventing me from being able to re-flash my MSI 5900U. I was using 4.46 unsuccessfully. Oh well, the card has been RMA'd, if I have to pay, no big deal. I don't think I'll be trying this again when I get my card back. Besides, the card oc'd to 525/965 without the bios mod. Hindsight is 20/20.