Flashing Cards. People still have problems. This might help.

Discussion in 'Links' started by Chouji, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Creative GEFORCE 5900 Ultra

Can anyone help? I am tyring to flash the bios of my creative fx5900 ultra to a leadtek A380 ultra using WFFLASH with the A380 bios but I keep getting failure messages due to checksum errors, is there anyway to bypass this to force it to accept the new bios?

2. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    ok sorry would have replied sooner, but my IE doesnt like me.

Ok you can try
    wfflash.exe nm bios.rom

if that doesnt work you can try nvflash, nvflash has alot of features but its all commands.

nvflash -f bios -u -p

if that doesnt work and its write protected then

nvflash -r (to remove the protection)
    nvflash -f bios -u -p

if you still get errors try

nvflash -5 -6 -f bios.rom -u -p

and if you want to readd the write protection, your choice, its

nvflash -w

if you have any other problems then im sorry thats all i know..

3. Thanks for your help but its useless

Thanks for your help but it seems that my creative fx5900 ultra graphics card just does not want to play ball, i keep getting pci device id, vendor id mismatch errors, i have tried removing the write protection, using nvflash to try and force / override the protection but it will just not work! I am using nvflash 4.46 which i think is the latest version, i have tried using the -o command which is the override command at level 3 but nothing seems to work for me!

4. Apologies to Chouji

Sorry if my previous post insulted your Chouji the card is useless not the advice given by you, I will get the hang of the english language eventually as I tend to use is 24/7, 100% of the time!

5. lost_soul9k

lost_soul9k Member Guru

GPU:
    ???
    has anyone tried it on a gainward card ?

6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Re: Thanks for your help but its useless

You should try using wfflash.exe instead of nvflash.exe. Most are successful are using the leadtek wfflash program. You can use it with other bios as well -- I flashed my 5900 Ultra using wfflash.exe with both the leadtek and then gainworth bios. Ended back using the leadtek 5950 bios.

wfflash.exe nm bios_name.rom

Pharma

7. PhelanPKell

PhelanPKell Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 Red
    Flashing FX BIOS's

Here is a question outta left field...

I have GeForce F5600U with:
    400Mhz core clock
    800Mhz mem data rate
    128Mb DDR SDRAM
    128bit memory

My friends MSI GeForceFX 5700 with the exact same stats...what is the chance I'd be able to flash my 5600U with a 5700 BIOS and it would work? I've noticed those similarities between the two...but is there a difference between the GPU's and their functionality or is the difference something stupid that won't effect my card if I flash it...? For anyone who could answer this I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thank you
    Arigatou
    Merci

8. evstein7

evstein7 Guest

Ok, my turn now :)

I got my comp back today and tried it...
    WFFLASH doesn't work; gives me a 'can't run dos4gw.exe. Error code 0002' error.
    NVFlash can at least backup the old bios and ATTEMPTS to write the new one, but fails miserably.
    What can I do?

9. adam805

adam805 New Member

GPU:
    Gainward FX5900nu (flashed to 5950u)
    I just flashed my Gainward 1200/XP (5900nu) and all seems succesful. 3dmark01=13700 3dmark03=5750

But when I load up RivaTuner it says core=300 mem=950

Is this right, or is Riva not ready for the 128mb 5950? heheh

<edit> well nvhardpage shows 475 core so I guess Im in business. Best $225 I ever spent!

When I bought it I thought I would eventually o/c to 5950 speeds buty hadnt bothered. Now its a freebie, with 10 degrees lower temps than before. Rock On!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  10. nugie

nugie Guest

Is GF 4 MX 440 8x can do this too?

11. adam805

adam805 New Member

GPU:
    Sorry nugie not even close. Just O/C it.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I was using the Leadtek 5950 bios, but decided to try another I found at Gigabyte's site.

Noticed 2 bios at Gigabyte's site; one regular 5950 (GV-N595U256V) and the other performance bios (GV-N595U-GT) for their new card. I flashed my PNY FX 5900 Ultra with the performance bios using wfflash and get default clocks of 475 (core) and 1001 (memory). No issues yet, and have not overclocked yet. Idle temps are about 42 C and when gaming mid to upper 50's C.

The bios can be found at gigabytes home page http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Produc...roduct_List.htm

BTW ... You can use gigabytes flash utility to flash by following their directions. The command is:
    gvflash.exe -p 0 "name of rom file"

Enjoy

Pharma

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  13. ArrBeeBee

ArrBeeBee Member

GPU:
    Build by ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB
    Just attempted to flash my MSI 5900SP VTD-256 (I know I'm stupid for paying 330 for it -_-) with the MSI 5950 Ultra bios. The flash went well with nvflash 4.41 and was able to boot into windows no prob. However, windows didn't recognize it, so I had to uninstall the drivers, go into save mode and use driver cleaner, and then boot back into windows to resinstall the drivers. The driver installation went well also, but the reboot after the installation didn't go so well. After the login screen, dots and lines started showing up on screen and the system just pretty much locked up. The first thing that hit me was that the card was not able to handle the new clock speeds with the StarStorm 53.03XQ settings. I did not want to risk damaging the card by going into save mode to uninstall the starstorm drivesr and then try to boot up again with the regular nvidia drivers, so i just reflashed the card with the backup bios. I was forced to go through the drivers reinstallation process again, and everything worked fine including booting back into windows after the installation reboot. The question that I have now is could there have been any other factors to the dots/lines other than the starstorm 53.03XQ drivers?

14. 2fast4u2

2fast4u2 Guest

i think there may be something different with this card, i have the exact same card and got the same results, only my backup is corrupted so i have a dead card until i can get someone to email
    me the bios,
    oh yea, this card must not be very poular becasue after 2 days of serching your the first person ive found with the 5900sp-vtd256
    btw ygpm arrbeebee:help: :help: :cussing: :help: :cussing:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2004
  15. mechwarriorr

mechwarriorr Guest

How do you startup into dos comand prompt w/Windows 2000? Also, i have a Gainwood FX5900nu, but i cant find the 5950 bios on its website, how do you get it? sorry if i bothered you by asking about where to find bios, but i appreciated if you would be able to help me out

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2004

16. Angel H.

Angel H. Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 5600 Ultra 128MB DDR
    how to speed up my 5600 ultra?

17. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

okay, I have a leadtech FX 5900 NU with VIVO..... the leadtech 5950U also has VIVO, so theoretically my VIVO should still work. But before I flash my card, I would love to hear from someone with the same card as me that flashed and if their VIVO is still working. Cuz it seems some ppl are having problems with TV out after they flash.... but I dunno if thats just TV out, or the TV out part of VIVO....

18. V9950Monster

V9950Monster Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 SLI
    Success story!

Alright, I've got the ASUS 5900. I flashed my card with WFFLASH and a Gainward BIOS. Flash was highly successful and current OC is 500/950, memory wouldn't take 1000, but core is still going.

However my cards TV-Out is not working. I am currently looking for a solution, not sure if it's a driver problem or BIOS.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  19. ariman

ariman Guest

You have a good luck if You can have a workin VIVO after flash.
    Example Gainward has 9 (!) different bios versions for 5950 cards.

I have Gainward 1200 XP GS with Semiproduct-Part no:

G932000IP0J0

Closest numbers from Gainward 5950 serie would be

1800 XP

GC32000IQ0J5 V4.35.20.35.08 v32fde00.zip
    GC32000IQ0J4 V4.35.20.24.00 32003800.zip

1800 XP Colden Sample

GC32000IQ0J0 V4.35.20.35.08 v32gdd00.zip

If these Semiproduct-Part numbers can give any hint I would still have 3 bios versions to pick... ?

Well, not sure if this is even a right way to make any conclusons in first place...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  20. adam805

adam805 New Member

GPU:
    ariman-

I flashed my 1200/XP Golden Sample withe the 5950e400 BIOS. Worked on the first try and the performance boost has been stellar.

I think that is the Gainward BIOS that most are using. I was unaware of other options, but the 5950e400 should be the 1800/XP Golden Sample 5950 w/ViVo. At least I think so. I havent tested my ViVO yet so I dont know. But clocks are 475/950 temps are down and fps are up!

Let us know if those other BIOS turn out to be something better. And Good Luck!