ClockBlocker (profiled AMD power-management control)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by A2Razor, Dec 10, 2015.

1. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Next version released.

This time I primarily am focused on quality of life changes for people that play in windowed mode. Thanks to the addition of wildcards, you can now set a foreground matching rule that applies to your entire Steam Library at once.

2. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I don't know why but all crimson driver fix my gpu clock and voltage ...

3. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    That's pretty odd right there. If it's reproducible through fresh installs, cleaning with DDU, etc, and it doesn't happen with older CCC versions .. definitely make sure that you're reporting that one to AMD.

Usually it's the opposite that people seem to be having of excessively low clocks, and clocks all over the place on Crimson.

EDIT: Also incase I'm mis-interpretting that. I'm assuming you mean by "fix my gpu clock and voltage", that with Crimson drivers your card never downclocks at all. Nothing would surprise me at this point honestly if there's two totally opposite issues in the drivers.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  4. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I can't use Gaming evolved ( Highlight and record ) with all crimsons . And i have flicker in Rocket league ( i never had this trouble ) but clocks are stable , bf4 and battlefront are ok no downclock , gpu and memory clock are stable . Sorry for my bad english i will test more games later .

5. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    I was more assuming you meant that the clock speeds on the desktop, out of games, etc, were fixed at max. If you mean just in games then that's probably not a bug (I would have misunderstood). It might be true for the games you play that there's no issues and that dynamic clocking is working right, producing good loads, etc.

Alot of the games that I run are very low graphics though, such as Indie games and JRPG titles from Steam.

Rocket league, not sure on that one. Battlefront and BF4 are both high demand & high graphics.

6. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yes and i'm talking about " idle " 2 . iddle perfeclty stable 300/500 voltage 0.9500v with crisom , with all 15.x gpuclock/voltage are horrible in "idle " ( or desktop )

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  7. ndugan

ndugan Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 Fury
    So my friend and me uninstall ur program and run lots of virus scans. They found tons of viruses after install it. Now the advertising has stopped too, very suspicious. Im sry it not worth it to use this trash. Waiting for amd to fix this.

8. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    I gave you a very thorough answer ... and even took your accusation (or poorly worded report) of an AVG false-positive quite seriously (spending hours on it). Through that, I've eliminated the false positives on the "Loader" processes to the point that none of the software once installed, in all of Virus Total's scans, has any detection whatsoever. Furthermore, the only scanner that was a big name scanner of the false-positives was TrendMicro. (which is addressed and no longer flags on said Launcher processes)

Updated Virus-Total scans on those two:
    Loader_x86.exe

Loader_x64.exe

Now you've moved on to not only implying that my software is "malicious", but beyond that to calling it "trash"... At this point I'm done being civil. I've been as polite as could've been expected. If you were similarly polite I would've probably even provided advise on malware removal.

I personally use this software, I've invested quite a bit of time in to it, and it's intended to help people with similar problems to the ones I face. If you don't like my software, don't use it, it's clearly not for you. Don't waste another moment of your breath typing on these forums with such insults.

--I'm not a moderator and I can't hand out infractions obviously, yet the next post of this style from you I will just report to moderators instead of replying to it.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    looks like you got your wish, banned.

geez, some people...

The rest of us appreciate your work.

10. yeswhecan

yeswhecan Guest

GPU:
    290 tri-x oc
    This tool is awesome. I never buy a amd gpu product again after 3 times buying one but this tool makes everything a bit less painful. I have payed a 290 trix oc 2 years ago. Never had a real smooth experience till now. Everything is so much smoother also after many gaming hours. Never had this experience from the amd software, only bugs and stutter. But it looks like its over for now. Tank you so much, i have made an account here to make an replay to your tool. (when i enable overdrive power limit to 50 with your tool the clock bouncing between 300 and 400 mhz on idle, wile without overdrive its stable on 300 mhz). My clocks without your tool (full screen) were bouncing between 990/1000 an with clockbuster its solid on 1000 mhz. :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

11. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    There's been alot of great feedback in this thread and I've gotten in alot more testing, across alot more hardware, than I honestly ever expected (couldn't have done it without you guys). Both knowing who it works for, and also also who it doesn't work for. I absolutely don't mind negativity as long as it's constructive, as I definitely do want to get us the most we can out of our hardware.

Fortunately most of you guys here on Guru3D are great!

12. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    As a heads up, going forward I've merged the archive directories (no separate folder for 7zip extractors henceforth). All 1.1 branch versions from this point on will have both a 7z (no-installation) and also an SF-Installer version. These will be in a single web-folder. I've also finally gotten around to linking that on the main website's downloads page. Just like with the installer's link to "ClockBlocker_Setup.exe", there will similarly be a link to a "ClockBlocker_7zExtractor.exe".

--These main files will always be the latest version, so in the case that you're manually updating you can just bookmark that download link in your browser.

The updates will probably slow down a bit once I start running out of improvement ideas, but of course getting new versions is totally voluntary too. (if everything is already working great for you, despite that I always appreciate testing of the newer additions)

I do have a question for you guys that like the installer-less copies:
    Right now both versions are writing their config files into "Documents\ComroeStudios\ClockBlocker\".

--What would you all prefer? Do you want this to work more like a standalone version and to write the config-files in to the directory it's launched from, or to stick with the way it is now?

Put another way, is there anything that you'd like changed about the software based on the way that you're using it? For example, if you're using it on a special PE environment for benchmarking or game-testing. Open to anything here really if it'd make it easier for some other usage.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  13. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Sweet, nice initiative! I saw you're using an OpenCL kernel to force the GPU to run at full 3D clocks, even though it should work for the majority of use cases, some setups with multiple GPUs from different vendors may run into trouble.

A less conflict-prone solution would be using AMD ADL interfaces. When 'Always use highest performance clocks while gaming' is enabled in RadeonPro, it tries to set all performance levels with the highest entry in ADLODPerformanceLevels, then finally the performance levels are set using ADL_Overdrive5_ODPerformanceLevels_Set. Previous performance levels are restored when the game is finished. I don't know if it works with Fury cards cuz I didn't have the chance to test one but I guess ADL should work for all AMD cards.

14. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
    Do you plan to make a new version of RadeonPro? We are in need of an update after the release of broken Crimson.

15. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Fortunately on the OpenCL and DirectCompute usage, I've not had much of an issue getting it working on rigs with IGP's, multiple videocards, etc. (Even having my Geforce 980 present concurrently with the Fury-X) I'd borrowed a friend's machine for testing where we had Intel + NVidia + AMD CL ICD's installed on the system, and so I got to see what this type of setup looks like a bit -- and to solve some of the problems with it per distinguishing between the platforms.

Regardless though, I was definitely considering adding ADL to the project later-on (for built in clock plotting if nothing else), and because some time back in the thread it was suggested that I take a look at RadeonPro (and how your locking method worked). ---Thanks a ton for that.

I hadn't gotten around to it yet, but that sure saves some guesswork and hooking on my part for when I do. I plan to add some alternate approaches so that people have some choice if one doesn't work well for them. OpenCL and DirectCompute being constantly active seems to have some implications for people using AMD's built in overdrive or Afterburner when in official overclocking mode. Although TriXX and Afterburner using its "unofficial" mode seems to work fine, given they adjust the perceived base clockspeed.

16. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Wondering, would it be possible for it to Block when a 3D game is detected like MSI Afterburner?

Why i am asking is cause overclocking Tonga is a mess and i noticed that to solve some idle clock you can switch profiles and let it be overclocked when gaming (as those are only stable on high clocks).

Problem seems to me that it can still cause crashes if a "game" or similar is detected by MSI Afterburner that is Not Fullscreen and makes the overclock but not max clocks.

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    a simple blacklist could accomplish that.

18. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    You mean manually adding those application/games?

19. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    I picked a different approach than Unwinder's because I didn't want to deal with false-detections of games. That is to say, programs that use 3D for a simplistic 2D GUI (aka, apps that really shouldn't be using D3D or GL, but are). The purpose was to try to minimize the number of rules that people would need to add in ClockBlocker as exclusions. While I could certainly attempt to add a 3D-detection that mimicked Afterburner, it would pretty much need to make the exact-same decisions as Afterburner does (in all cases it sounds like). If I'm understanding you right on this, then if Afterburner makes a decision to upclock the card and clock-speeds aren't enforced -- the card may become unstable. So, anytime that Afterburner makes a decision to boost your clockspeed, you want the clock jittering to stop.

--Probably the safest way for me to do what you're asking would be to not attempt to second-guess which programs Afterburner is going to detect, and instead use Afterburner's Shared Memory to check whether or not the decision has been made. (This is certainly doable, and I could add another special profile rule literally called something like "MSI Afterburner")

For right now; you might try the wildcard addition that I put in with the last version. That should minimize the number of rules that you need --- just like in the SteamLibrary example (for covering all Steam games in one rule). Pretty much everything seems to be installed under specific paths these days thanks to online distribution. [Make sure that you use a general "Block" rule for your additions, rather than a foreground or background exclusive]

EDIT:
    I should probably add that there's another consideration here. Afterburner detects ClockBlocker due to its loading CL (which loads OpenGL). For something like this to work an exclusion in Afterburner may also be needed. Unless of course I do some combination of my own 3D detection + watching Afterburner's state (to know that ClockBlocker is the only remaining 3D app).

--Need to think a bit about it.

Update:
    Quickly probed some people on Skype that're using ClockBlocker. I didn't expect it at all, 3 out of 4 of them would prefer 3D detection over the fullscreen detection (none of them even use Afterburner). ... Looks like I'm going to be adding my own 3D detection as a choice.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  20. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Ah, sounds quite complicated.

Well thing is, i am not totally sure this will work, thing is that it's not the jittering that can fail it, it's that it goes idle, like low clocks.
    I don't really get why it fails there if it's overclocked as those clocks are the same as before, it's just the max one changing basically.

So if you happen to wana add it, add it. But i don't add it in the sense that your are curing something, it's basically more of a guess that it actually works on my side:p

I will though try your latest wildcard things, as pretty much every game etc are started from specific folder that i know of.

(Though interesting thing, the game ESO isn't detected by MSI Afterburner as a 3D Application).