Build Your First PC

Discussion in 'Links' started by Psychosematic, Jul 31, 2003.

1. mutant

mutant Member

OK I am going to build my 1st ever system for my 3d design business. I have never built a system before. My motivation for building this system is that if I succeed I will never need to spend my hard earned money on crappy PC shops!

My system will be dual Optweron 280/285 based so Iam kind of nervous. Do you think with help from people here I colud do it?

2. rox1co

rox1co Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
  3. far3

far3 New Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800 128
    Excellent Post

4. cyanosed_au

cyanosed_au Member

i'm building soon to. this is a realy good thread. it very usful

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Excellent guide.

I just built my first a couple months ago. I was a bit leary, but I got alot of help from the techs in another forum, both with easing my trepidation as well as with with component suggestions and OKing my build lists. I was really happy when the moment of truth came, and I powered it up and it posted (joy!).

It was actually really easy. I was done in about 3-4 hours including windows & driver installation. Probably could have been done alot faster, but I took my time as I didn't want to screw up!

I bought everything from newegg.com, and I'll never shop anywhere else. I don't like how zipzoomfly or tigerdirect have their websites layed out. Newegg has it set up to near perfection, and their service is awesome!

I also recommend that people also look at the Corsair build guide. It has tons of pics and is laid out in lamen's terms.

6. bconrados

bconrados Member

GPU:
    Xfx 7900gt (520/750)
    I would like to know how should i clean the thermal compound on my cpu since i want to put in a new fan because the one that came with it doesn't do the job well enough.
    Thx

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I used a dry lint free rag to remove as much as i could, and then used small dabs of rubbing alcohol on a clean rag to remove the remaining thermal paste.

8. extermin8tor

extermin8tor Member Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTX
    wtf 0blivious?
    it took you 3-4 hours to build a pc, im not dissin u, its just weird.
    like you unpack the stuff, take out the old crap if upgrading, or just fit stuff in and be careful.
    it took me like one hour to build my first pc.

and also anti-static gloves dont do much. ive never used any and ive never stuffed any components up (although newbies should use them)

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    :)

Keep in mind that 2 hours of that was installing/optimizing windows, drivers and programs. Also, I was trying to do some clean wire management.

And to anyone building a pc, it doesn't hurt to take your time. In fact, I'd recommend it.

10. th3cl3ric

th3cl3ric Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti
    A lil question

Hi all, im new, and always visit the guru3d website since a long time.

I recently started to work so now i hav money to build my own PC, but after reading some reviews and lot of information about videocards my question now is: What is the best videocard maker? ASUS, MSI, EVGA, XFX, BFG? cause as everyone, we want the best of the best :rolleyes: , so plz I need a lil advice in this subject.

I will apreciate all ur help

P.D. The card I want to buy is one with NVidia Geforce 7800 GT :)

11. pentastar111

pentastar111 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285's (SLI)
    Good thread

Not that machine that i'm using now is bad i just want to build "my own". Am jumping into it headfirst. the supprot from this site is very good. Thanx:banana:

12. Cerberus Knight

Cerberus Knight Member

GPU:
    Onboard
    Well I'm undergoing a New system build and one hint that i have learnt while searching for components is to look for reviews for the companies you want to deal with. I read one review that made me re do my New Pc Budget and had to spend an extra $100AUD, but found it was nessacry.......And a very good guide to boot Lol

13. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    Raid arrays

hello,
    you might want to add some raid to your pc's...i am amazed at the diffrence 2-4 hard drives made to my system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

hard drives are only about £30 and 4x is not that bigger price tag as i still got 640 gb of space...but iam mirrored and iam using raid 10 and have 320gb of space x2.

...i lov my unbreakable hard drive ..and it is loads better a raid 0 than a single...and AMD 64 x2 with ATI 2x2 mirror of performance raid 0's sounds good too....nerrr :smoke: ...wish i had the AMD x4

sata lead= 1.5 to 3gb/s

raid 0 is 2 in 1=same size as the 2 disks...like so :beam:
    raid 1 is 2 in 1=same size as one disk...like this :puke3:

1 disk is 1.5gb/s read or write, :cops:
    2 disks in rad 0 is 1.5gb/s read and 1.5gb/s write : :beam: good for fast reading and writing.
    2 disks in raid 1 is 3gb/s read and 1.5gb/s write : :puke3: good for fast reading..replacing files or reading to other hosts
    4 disks in raid 10 is 3.0gb/s read and 3.0gb/s write: :puke3: +:beam: good at both reading and writing double speed
    4 disks in raid 0+1 is 3.0gb/s read and 3.0gb/s write: :beam: +:puke3: good at both reading and writing double speed

it makes good use of all quad core and dual core cpu's :lurk:

raid 10 with maxtors 7200 =128gb/s index and 12ms random access.
    rapter 1500 raid 0 =144gb/s index and 8ms random access.

put my maxtors in raid 0 and its 67gb/s index and 18ms random access.

tested in sandra.

i got instructions to make a raid in my motherboard manual...but

to make a hardware raid might take the next steps...

1.you need to find out if you have raid capabilitys on your motherboard..most sata's do.

2. you will need number of hard drives and a raid driver from the motherboard support cd ..make disk utility...you should make a A\: drive diskette with a raid driver mine was ati raid driver and was not the jmx ahci driver.

3.add a hard drive to a red and one to the black corresondent sata port and attach the power supply ...mine is 1+3 and 2+4 port numbers.

4.start pc up and enter bios...change setting to raid enabled and hard drives as raid and change the boot to dvd/cd rom , save and restart.

5.enter the raid controller by using command..mine was ctrl and f.

6.define your raid setup..raid 0 performance or raid 1 security or combos of both or 10 or 0+1 and if you wish a single disk use jbod ,save and restart.

7.put the windows dvd or cd in the drive and press f6 when windows asks when loading from a disk...put your raid driver diskette in the a drive when asked and add the 32bit/64bit raid driver...load on windows to the drive.

8 .add the control interface for the raid controller and check it is healthy...that should be a much better file system.

...dont mean to sound like iam being funny as iam just a raid fan..:approval:
    raid is the :ying: of files.

yours sincerely,
    @renadierperforation.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  14. convicted.007

convicted.007 New Member

GPU:
    ATI / X600 / 128MB