Samsung Galaxy S4 Coming March 15th, Shipping To Europe in April

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

Is it.? Interesting. I didn't have to do that and hope won't :)

2. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Time to upgrade from my iphone >=)

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    He means the processor and GPU inside to do not run at full speed during demanding tasks (such as gaming).

They throttle, depending on the temperature, leaving as much as 40% of its performance unused.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/3

4. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Had the S1, skipped the S2, have the S3, will skip the S4. Yearly upgrades are way to crazy.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Stop moaning and read up on that 8 core cpu. it's in there to improve battery life. so there, 2 with one stone.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't see why. A lot has happened in mobile technology in the past year. Performance of the processor has nearly doubled. Screen DPI has increased by 33%. There is a bunch of new modem technologies. New wifi standard. Miracast support. Wireless charging is becoming a bigger thing now. Camera sensors seem to be doubling in megapixel and image quality is always getting better.

I mean, if the technology in the mobile sector slowed i'd probably agree, but it's not. They are making huge strides in so many different areas that it truly feels like each generation is significant upgrade.

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Stop moaning about my posts eclap.

9. AdamGray

AdamGray Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Is there really a need for the Galaxy S4 to be released? Like a previous poster mentioned earlier, the Galaxy S3 screen is very crisp.. not much, if anything can be further improved.

The only upgrade I can think of which the world would love is a bigger or dual battery set-up. Battery life is the weak point of these high-tech gadgets. In Australia, the best place to get a Galaxy S4 is from Telstra.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I never understood this point of view. If Samsung hypothetically could release a new slightly better phone every single day of the year without distribution problems, what would be negative about doing that?

Like what is the negative of the S4 coming out a year after the S3? I really can't think of a single one yet this gets brought up everytime a new OS is released, or a new phone is released, or a new video card gets released.

To answer your question, the Droid DNA has a quad core Krait S4Pro in it that gets about 4 hours screen on time roughly. My coworkers Sprint S3 (D2SPR) gets about 3 1/2 hours despite having a slightly larger battery @ 2100 vs 2020. I should also point out that the DNA has a 1080P screen and the Krait is near 40% increase performance over the S3 roughly.

So if you took a theoretical Snapdragon 600 against the S3 you're talking 60-70%+ performance with reduced power consumption on the SoC level. Then you toss in the 1080p display and all the other crap Samsung is going to throw on it like useless 13MP camera instead of focusing on real stuff that matters..

Anyway yeah, I'd buy an Galaxy S4 personally.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It seems they fixed the throttling problem.

I just ran all the tests I could that he does there, without being put in the freezer (warm room temp.), and I got the same scores as his "Freezer" run. Another person just posted on Anandtech comments about the same thing.

It seems to have been an issue with reviewer phones.

12. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    it needs to be released so i can upgrade my S2...... I can skip one Gen and go straight for an S4.........

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No, it's still an issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37890674

I believe complete thermal shutdown occurs in the N4 at 60C. Don't quote me, but that is what I think I remember.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  14. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Dunno if that'll be enough time to save up for one.
    Gonna give it a damn good try, even though I have to eat porridge three times a day to manage that! :)

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If you miss the mark for the S4 you can just get whatever Google is working on with Motorola or whoever. Now that Google is basically going against Samsung it's going to get interesting to see what devices come out of who and neat features they throw in to set themselves apart.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No idea what to tell you.

I can show you a video of my N4 running those same tests and getting the "Freezer" scores at room temp, maybe they fixed these problems in my revision?

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The throttling is pretty well known. If they fixed it in a recent revision, that's fine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2007466&highlight=throttle

I mean, 30% of the people in that thread, which is obviously biased, it's obviously not 30% of owners, report a yellow spot on their screen when the CPU is stressed.

So, yeah, maybe a revision, but it is (was) a huge problem, not just for reviewers.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Samsung should spend more time researching how to make a phone that's actually capable of making phones calls. That kind of advancement from Samsung would prompt me to upgrade. I've owned 5 Samsung phones and they've all had the same problems with the antenna....they've all gotten piss poor reception.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I know it was a problem, but I figured more on a firmware based fix rather than a complete revision fix.

I got my N4 on the second round of orders in the states. Mine is also a 16GB version if it has anything to do with it.

But the N4 does get very hot from time to time (though no throttling). One of the reasons that I'm getting a case for it.

Mine does have however a the small buzzing sound problem by the earpiece, though mine is very faint and doesn't bother me, it's only there if you look for it.

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have yet heard such a problem with all my friends and the Samsung phones I've owned. Could it be a problem with your service provider? Most of my friends and family have the Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S 3, Galaxy S II and Galaxy Nexus on basically every single Canadian carrier that carries Samsung devices. Heck, even my old Nexus S is crystal clear, my brother's using it now after I got my Nexus 4.

I've only had issues making calls on one of my friend's ZTE phones because my phone was out of battery and he offered to let me use his phone and it was crap.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013