MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Address that to AMD. Official OverdriveN (Wattman) API do not and will not allow overclocking HBM on Fiji. And unofficial overclicking, wich was the only way to overclock it before, is gone in 17.7.2.

2. miiksu

miiksu Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Oh... That is sad news. Way to sell new HBM2 cards.

3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I hope I haven't asked this before, I forget such things from time to time:
    Would it be possible to modernize the exe select dialog for adding applications in RTSS a bit? You can't copy and paste a path into the address bar or drag & drop executables into the application list.

It would also be nice if several entries in the Afterburner hardware monitoring area could be moved at once, e.g. so you can move all your activated options easily to the top.

In the past, I also observed some weird behavior with taking screenshots: It sometimes stopped to work after alt + tabbing out of a game and then return. In such cases, it could help to go into the Afterburner screenshot settings and reassign a hotkey for taking screenshots.

4. dDub

dDub Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
    hrmn, tried beta 16 with RTSS 27 and for some reason i could not get the in game OSD to display. Only tried Mass Effect Andromeda though, went back to beta 15 w/RTSS 26 and it was working again. Tried messing with some RTSS setting but couldn't get it working.

5. Unwinder

Zero chances, there are no such changes between the builds, but if you beleive so, you may stay at b15.

6. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Total novice with this stuff:

Is there any benefit to messing with the application detection level? As in, does high offer any performance difference between low, etc, or is it simply a means keeping the program from being detected as malicious as in the tooltip?

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The tooltip covers it a bit better, as I remember low to medium enables HookDirectDraw in the "Global" config file and then medium to high enables I think it was EnableFloatingInjectionAddress but mouse over the setting a bit and the tooltip should pop up and give a more in-depth explanation of what the different detection levels offer.

You can also just compare the "Global" and "Config" settings files between changes and see what it alters, settings name alone though might not provide much of a explanation. :)

I think low is recommended unless you absolutely require the features offered by medium detection level and higher, should be fine for almost all software.

Though it can then vary whether raster or vector or 2d or 3d OSD mode works better although I think this was primarily a issue with idTech5 games such as Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood but there might be other games too.

And then there's different settings for injection delay for compatibility with other software and a few additional options for D3D12
    (EDIT: But that's a bit more advanced and I don't think you need to alter this in general.)

Simplest is probably to set up the global profile in a way you prefer and then keep additional settings on a per profile basis as required, so far for my own experience I've only needed to set up a few applications to "EnableHooking=0" to avoid Rivatuner attempting to monitor programs like Notepad++ :)
    (The "i" button in Afterburner has statistics on currently detected running 3D processes which helps a lot with these apps.)

EDIT: Also when updating to a new version make sure to shut down Afterburner / Rivatuner (And that it's not currently being used in any running software.) and then wait 3 - 4 minutes for the various files to become fully unloaded, if the installer can't replace RTSSHooks64.dll for example because something is currently holding it then the software will ask for a reboot to replace the currently locked file which you can avoid by just waiting a bit. :)
    (For a clean install you can also uninstall the previous version first but this will remove config files and such too I believe.)

Same goes for Afterburner itself if you're updating the display driver, probably more so if you keep hardware monitoring on for deeper info and access to the GPU so ensuring it's turned off can be helpful.

EDIT: Oh right, it can also take a few seconds before the OSD appears so if it doesn't show up immediately then waiting a little while on the main menu screen should resolve it, might not pop-up if some logo video or similar is playing either so wait until that's over with too and see if it doesn't appear then.
    (Just some basic general advice, tooltip descriptions and the PDF documentation should give more in-depth and detailed answers or just a quick search or two here on these forums perhaps.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    If you use the new beta RTSS you can open the RTSS dialog, then SHIFT+Click the ADD Button and you have all detected 3D apps in the exclude-dialog already selected. Just deselect the app, which you still want to be monitored and hit OK.

9. MDKpt

MDKpt Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim X 4090
    thanks for the latest beta

is there a possibilty of telling us when or if the X299 7000 cpus frequency will be suported on RTSS ?

thanks in advance

cheers

10. Unwinder

Stop spamming and use search please.

11. MDKpt

MDKpt Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim X 4090
    thanks for the information

i used the search button as always

cheers

12. Unwinder

See no issues in Doom but could reproduce it with DOSBox. Should be fixed in RTSS 7.0.0 beta 28 now, give it a try:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta28.rar

- Added OpenGL context validation algorithm to improve compatibility of raster 3D On-Screen Display rendering mode with OpenGL applications, which dynamically recreate the context (e.g. on display mode switching)

Deleted member 255716 likes this.
  13. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Pyre issue has been fixed:thumbup: Euro Truck Simulator 2 is still affected but it's not a problem, really, since it uses DX9 renderer on Windows by default.

14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Thx. However, it would still be nice if that ancient file browsing dialog would be modernized.

15. Unwinder

Create eurotrucks2.exe.cfg in ./ProfileTemplates with the following contents:

Code:
    [RendererOpenGL]
    Context			= 1

16. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Yep, that did it. Working perfectly now, tested both 32 and 64-bit versions.:cheers:

17. Unwinder

ok, I've integrated this profile into beta 28 and updated distributive.

18. Unwinder

If you were really searching for answer, you'd seen that anything related to CPU monitoring is declared as a bonus functionality added to software with no any support from MSI side, so I provide it under zero end user support obligations and don't accept requests like "when will you add CPU XXX". If I get similar hardware it in one of PCs near me one day - it will be supported. Otherwise you're out of luck, sorry.

19. Unwinder

20. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Guest

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1070
    Would it be possible to draw a black outline for the graphs, like all the text in the OSD?
    The light colors are sometimes difficult to read on light backgrounds.

Thanks for adding the additional CPU monitors for AMD/Ryzen recently, it's nice to have.
    CPU usage for Afterburner idling in the tray seemed to drop a few percent recently too, though perhaps that's because I went through the list and disabled a lot of the graphs that I wasn't using.