MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
  2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    I see so many posts in official forums/reddit and other forums about Afterburner & 17.7.2 support...its getting out of control lol.

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    small issue

i think MSI AB is changing the font type from Modern to classic every time i click on the saved OC profile for some reason !!

here's a video

4. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I recall reading that OSD layouts are saved together with profiles now.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Correct, many users keep forgetting the fact that monitoring settings can be included in profiles now. That's exact reason why the last beta introduced the following change:

- "Monitoring settings" option under "Profile contents" is no longer enabled by default.

6. Unwinder

Both good and bad news on supporting 17.7.2 drivers.

Good:

AMD still have not released new SDK publicly so not all tools can be updated now, but at least they are providing private updated copies of SDK to AIB partners. I've just got my copy via MSI, I guess the same applies to Sapphire and ASUS. So AIB vendor's tools (like MSI AB, Sapphire Trixx and ASUS GPU Tweak) can be updated now to be compatible with 17.7.2 API changes. I guess I'll need a couple hours to update MSI AB and provide new beta. Vendor independent tools (like WattTool) will have to wait for public SDK release though.

Bad:

Unofficial overclocking path no longer seem to be working properly on Fiji and Polaris, it immediately locks clocks at minimum performance level and keeps that state till reboot. And considering that AMD do not support that overclocking implementation in any form I guess that the chances that it is broken once and forever are really high. For now I'll completely disable unofficial overclocking mode in MSI AB for 17.7.2 and newer drivers, but I will leave a config switch to unlock it if AMD decide to fix that one day.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Thanks for the input,Alexey.

This is Sucks,why they change these things for Fiji & Polaris?
    I was thinking they changed only in Windows 10 (WDDM 2.2),but they do it even in Windows 7(Win8.1 is out of their support)

17.7.1 is still good.

8. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    @unwinder, thank you for the great news.

Can you comment on whether GCN v1.0 has been fully ported over to the new API in v17.2.2, or not? As you yourself pointed out before, since GCN v1.0 porting was incomplete in the previous drivers, it created compatibility problems with AB for those particular cards.

9. Unwinder

New beta is available:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta15.rar

Changes:

- Active bus clock monitoring for Intel CPUs. Previous version measured Intel bclk just once on startup, so if you use software CPU overclocking via adjusting bus clock on the fly, wrong CPU clock speed could be displayed. Now bus clock is measured on each hardware polling period.
    -Added OverdriveN X2 overclocking API support for 17.7.2 AMD display drivers.
    - Unofficial overclocking API is currently broken in 17.7.2. drivers (applying the clocks with it makes GPU stuck in lowest P-state till reboot) so MSI Afterburner is forcibly disabling unofficial overclocking mode and always using official ADL overclocking codepath on 17.7.2 and newer drivers. However, unofficial overclocking mode can still be manually unlocked via configuration file on 17.7.2 and newer drivers if AMD decide to provide a fix for unofficial overclocking mode in the future.

10. Unwinder

Cannot comment that, sorry. I don't use such GPU in any of my test PCs anymore, it is too old.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ok cool , didn't read that

12. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    All's good here with 17.7.2 and R9 290, clocks are available once again.

13. Unwinder

BTW, Vega 64 is flying to me now. So I expect to provide a beta with new AMD GPU family support in nearest few weeks.

14. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Do your best/worst!

15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    New beta confirmed working fine on GCN 1.0 using 17.7.2 drivers

16. Unwinder

Anyone with AMD Hawaii GPU can confirm that the following issue still exists?

17. Unwinder

New MSI Afterburner 4.4.0 beta 16 is online:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta16.rar

- ODN X2 overclocking API support introduced in the beta 16 made it incompatible with some older driver versions (e.g. 17.7.1), having partially implemented ODN X2 functionality. Now there are more sophisticated checks for selecting proper overclocking API, so it should be fixed now, clock control should be also restored on such drivers.
    - Fixed system freeze issues when starting MSI Afterburner on AMD Hawaii GPU while playing hardware accelerated video
    - "Properties" column of active hardware monitoring graphs list is now refreshed properly when enabling/disabling all graphs at once (i.e. when clicking checkbox next to graph name in the list and holding <Shift> pressed)

RTSS distributive is updated to 7.0.0 beta 27

- Improved D3D11 state management, fixed possible resource leak issue in D3D11 applications in optimized state changes introduced in beta 24
    - Added OSD profiles for theHunter : Call of the Wild
    - Updated built-in exceptions list
    - Updated SDK sample code, the sample manifest has been changed to require administrative rights, that is necessary to modify the profiles via profile management API

New RTSS is bundled with MSI AB distributive, but it is also available as standalone installer:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta27.rar

18. MrBeer

MrBeer Member

GPU:
    --
    Thanks again for another beta.

19. MDKpt

MDKpt Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim X 4090
    thanks for the beta

is there a possibilty of telling me when or if the X299 7000 cpus frequency will be suported on RTSS ?

thanks in advance

cheers

20. miiksu

miiksu Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Almost there. I can now overclock GPU but not yet HBM. :thumbup: