The Devastating Effect of Ad-Blockers for Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    ghostery and ad block disabled!

2. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    It seems like tracking and ad-blocking is becoming the norm rather than a "geeky" thing to do. We even got official support for content blockers within iOS for heavens sake.

I do get why this will be very bad for the future of free content on the web, this is why I keep telling people that I do not run ad-block on sites like YouTube as I know that will resolve into many of the people that provides content I enjoy each and every day vanishing as times go by and more and more people starts using ad and tracking blockers.

On the other side of things, I do see a huge benefit of using ad and tracking blockers like uBlock Origins and Ghostery. There is no real doubt that it will give you a improved experience in-terms of visuals, speeds and efficiency and the most important part, it's much safer. There has been so many cases of ad's being injected with malware the past couple of years, even ad's serviced through Google Ads/Analytics's so there is no wonder why more and more people start blocking. And a huge amount of websites do also integrate all kinds of unnecessary and "scary" tracking on their sites that I can see no reason why people would not want to block.

I will keep having the sites and content I love the most whitelisted, but upon visiting new sites I do prefer to have it activated just for my own convenience and safety.

On mobile on the other hand I will keep using Purify (iOS), it's not because I do not want to support your site but it's a matter of saving on limited bandwidth and improving the experience on mobile as it get really drawn down by ads and trackers. The good things is that I barely visit this site from iOS-devices anyway.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Maybe he didn't use protection and caught a nasty virus :banana:

Geez you guys have dirty minds :D. You should always use a reliable reputable anti-virus regardless of what your browsing habits may be.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  4. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    Added to the while list straight away! Live long and prosper Guru3d! Thank you for all the content!

5. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    the problem with ad blockers and ads is that its so unregulated by law, I mean, first we had ads and then some genius went on a rampage and started doing full screen focus grabing ads, pop ups, fake buttons etc. its because of this we have ad blockers, not because of ads that are on guru3d, these are pretty quiet and I have to admit that asus background on the site makes it look a little more slick. I simply forgot I was using ghostery and ad block. But if they regulate how these ads should be displayed, in a pleasent non invading form, I think more people will stop using ad blocks.

6. rpjkw11

rpjkw11 Guest

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 1080Ti
    I don't, as a general rule, dislike ads. They are a necessary evil and I understand the need for them. What I DO object to are the in-you-face-smash-mouth ads, especially those with nag screens, BIG nag screens, that require a mouse click to clear. So, the reason I use adblockers is to prevent those types of ads from popping up. Not all sites use those ads, but I don't know in advance who does and who doesn't, so EVERY SITE is blocked. Don't come crying to me about adblockers when YOU have far more ability to eliminate them within your own community than I do. Losing money? Well instead of bellyaching, why don't various sites and ad creators talk to each other and tone everything down? If that's done, you might be surprised how many people delete adblockers. You AND the ad developers have created this monster, NOT the poor schmuck who would like to read your content in relative peace. For the reason adblockers are popular, look in the mirror and not at me.

Having said that, I will, for Guru3D, do this: I will white list this site for a period of 30 days so I can judge your advertising policy. This is a trial period, and it's entirely up to you whether you pass or fail.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Whilelisted, cheers!

8. Bounty

Bounty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    Guru3d added. Ads are very unintrusive btw doesn't affect enjoyment of the site at all.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Of course we do and yup proper anti-virus/malware remover/blocker. Maybe he didn't yes! :D

10. Ali-K

Ali-K Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    I agree ads are a necessary annoyance. Thing is they interfere with your experience. For instance in Google Chrome without ad-blocking software the smooth scroll (middle click scroll) is not so smooth. With ad-blocking enabled it's silky smooth. So they do interfere in more than just one way even if the ads are not intrusive and relevant.

11. Blanky

Blanky Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPERXTrio
    After reading everything I fully understand your position, I personally will not disable advertising or whitelist add to this or any page, navigate and the fact I have advertising seems intrusive harassment and annoyance that I personally refuse to allow, I understand your views and positions but also understand users can not compel them to receive advertising that is not interested and does nothing for my interest, only bother when browsing the Internet. I am the first that if some kind of donation opens would be willing to contribute and collaborate with help, but can not force a law that we have all the people and freedom of expression and freedom of a clean internet without harassment because if you wants to go to a page to read or enjoy what you like does not have to eat an unnecessary harassment as a consumer. I repeat that I am willing to cooperate in donating is needed, but my blocker remain activated in this and every page of my browser, if they threaten the web disappears, then nothing happens there are a thousand more websites like this Internet is an infinite world remember ... (sorry for my bad English)

12. newbuser

newbuser New Member

GPU:
    8800gtx
    If it is down to unblocking adverts or not using Guru3D, then it would be bye bye Guru3D.
    Most of the same content can be found elsewhere, this is not a unique site its not unique content and to hear how me blocking ads is "devastating"... that's just hilarious.

I don't have a TV or watch TV for the same reason, I tell people coming to my door to sell stuff the same, I find advertising more intrusive then I find Guru3D useful.

For users actively involved with the forum and commenting, fair enough. The "devastating" loss of ad revenue from me blocking ads wont matter as if I could not block them I simply would not come here.

In fact, I am just going to remove the bookmark and say "it was nice knowing you" - it is not my loss. Bye o/

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I feel I speak on behalf of the entire community when I say, Please please please do not leave, your 3 posts contribution have been second to none, I'm not sure how we will manage without you

Devastated you are leaving.... please reconsider, for the good of G3D

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I don't know, I see his attitude as a bit selfish. Expects to get everything completely free? It has the same effect on the other sites, just they usually make cut backs, lower their quality, probably get paid for being biased (I bet you there are people on here that could tell you some sites like this), and simply not provide the same level of material enjoyed previously.

I've got a great idea! If newbuser has a job, maybe he should go a year or two without being paid (assuming he is a worker that hasn't got millions tucked away like a CEO or something). If he expects stuff to be given to him for free, then we should expect him to work for free too.

I dare say he would not like that suggestion, despite expecting it from Guru3D and other websites.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  15. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I'm okay with the advertising on the main site, but what I really can't stand is the ads in between replies in the forums. If you could move those to the side (or just keep the ones on top and bottom of the page), it would be better.
    I'm keeping my adblocker disabled in hopes that you change that, at least.

16. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    This is an I.T. orientated website so I'm not surprised that 50% of users use adblockers. I myself would happily contribute towards paying for the site as apposed to having ads turned on. If you have a donation link I will happily contribute.

PS: In the spirit of good things I will reluctantly add guru to my empty 'whitelist.'

17. ManiusNG

ManiusNG Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX970/4GB
    As this seems to be a honest pledge, I've updated my whitelist. Good job guys!

18. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Unblocked. I love this site too much :)

19. tomfuegue

tomfuegue Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 980 Ti Lightning
    Ok, I understand your position on this and I've decided to disable uBlock in this website.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ads in newspapers
    Ads in magazines
    Ads on the radio
    Ads on TV
    Ads on billboards
    Ads on public transport
    Ads on bus stops/train stations
    Ads in shop windows