The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I put the blame in the usual suspect in AMD (apart the CFX profile...): AMD DX11 driver performance.

Look at your CPU cores % usage when your GPU usage % is lower (and FPS) if CPU is not maxed at these moments then you have the guilty.

2. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    Didn't the latest patch increase graphics effects/reduce performance for most (all) people? Also, wasn't Novigrad a performance problem due to it being a huge urban area, with lots of people and buildings?

Add CPU utilization monitoring to Afterburner. If you are hitting 95%+ on any core, you are probably being limited by your CPU. Or you are being hampered by your HDD speed (constant streaming of textures and geometry)?

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nope. It did the complete opposite for me at least. The game really needs a frame limiter or vsync to be properly paced. Find your lowest FPS, and lock the frame rate a bit under there, and you're gonna be fine.

4. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    PrMinister, have you played with 1055 drives yet? Im about to load the dll's and check performance.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nope. I'm waiting for a proper installer first. Asder will probably have something cooked up by tomorrow I guess.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    ^ Improved draw calls is good thing for me, but not in Witcher 3. Because there, I already maxed out GPU utilization even on release drivers and therefore any gain from newer and considerably better drivers were in margin of error.
    But for anyone who is not maxing GPU utilization, every improvement in draw calls is worth checking.

Anyway, from those numbers AMD already doubled draw calls in comparison to what they had year ago.
    I still have many games where GPU sits at 20~50% Utilization while not reaching 120fps. Few more drivers and maybe I'll get there.

Funny thing, I have Killing Floor 2 maxed out 1080p @120fps. But that unreal engine is so bad on CPU side that if someone makes a huge pile of cash anywhere in map, my fps can go down to 36fps.

When we made that pile, some people reported like 8~10fps while not even looking at it.
    I wonder how horrible performance decrease I can expect from nVidia FleX update.

8. MSIMAX

MSIMAX Active Member

GPU:
    3x 290x cfx
    well just got my system back from being down 2 weeks. and updated to 15.7 and patch 1.07 and it runs like crap on my trifire rig getting 34fps stock profile with cpu at 15 -20% usage and gpus @47% if i use skyrim i get 48fps and gpus @99% and using AFR in ccc itll do 120 fps on ultra but flicker is unplayable. this is on ultra doesnt even benefit from turning off AA or hairworks anymore just low fps

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    single GPU performance is really good:
    2,5k resolution, ULTRA settings, HBAO+ off, Hairworks on, Hairworks AA 2, Hairworks density high, foliage distance High, avg at 55-57fps.

10. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Just curious, are you using normal or unified gpu usage monitoring on Fury X in afterburner? And if you have tested both, is there difference in gpu usage between two modes?

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am using HWiNFO64, it has D3D usage and then it has GPU usage. In some games D3D usage is lower than total GPU Usage.

But both are not doing time average, but snapshot. And as Fury is not loaded fully, it has those moments when it is fully loaded and moments when it does nothing at all.
    GPUz does same thing in monitoring. So you can see there spikes unless it is fully utilized.
    (I am not using Afterburner, am used to RadeonPRO, tho it does not apply global profiles on W10, and often even per application profiles refuse to be applied. Will likely have to test Afterburner.)

I wonder if race to idle with every frame and then waiting for next frame to render is more power efficient than to run at speed required for targeted fps. Well maybe with next generation of drivers in a year.
    (Fiji core is capable to run at any frequency MHz by MHz, so it can adjust clock exactly to match need of application.)

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The whole shebang with the driver is more or less the problem with frame evenness and the lowest fps, not the average. For me Witcher 3 had a tangible increase when I went from 8.1 to 10, both with the 15.7 driver. I stopped getting some rare framedrops in Novigrad, and I was more or less stuck at 30fps now (hairworks off, everything maxed, except foliage distance high and shadows medium). That was before the patch. Since the patch, I have all that, including the High hairworks preset with 2x aa. Downsampled from 1440p. The only time I have noticed getting under 30, is when in the water and looking up, when the camera really zooms in Geralt's hair and the waves above. And some conversations are lower fps too. Nothing to bother me though, the game looks phenomenal. If I lower the settings to high, and be a bit reasonable with the resolution, I can get a vsync lock at 50hz. But I'm a graphics whore.

13. MSIMAX

MSIMAX Active Member

GPU:
    3x 290x cfx
    ok with help from google found this game has negative scaling with more than 2 cards disabled 1 and fps are at 55fps steady at 2560x1440 all setings max hairworks on tess on amd optimized

14. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I noticed on this game that gpu usage is not getting maxed out. I sit with 80% per gpu and tried many different settings. Also disabled AA

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    OS/Driver?

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    your coup clock maybe the cause of that, i see that it's stock which i think is not enough for your crossfire setup. I have 100% gpu usage all the time.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
  18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Sorry. I must update. My CPU is running 4.6GHz. Windows 8.1 with latest updates.

19. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    stuttering still here with the update , in some parts of the maps the game runs better , but in general the game run bad with stuttering .

20. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    Is there a solution for that crossfire V-sync hiccup at all yet ?? I've Googled numerous times over the years, but yet to find a solution....
    It happens to me in every game I play when I use crossfire and it only happens in Crossfire

What happens is when the game is v-synced every 2-3 seconds there is a very slight minor stutter, or a hiccup....