NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Would one of you make a post describing the problem, the list of games you know it affects, and a solution?

I could add it as another reference to the affected games

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Strange. Then again,I haven't played PinballFX2 in a while. I'm gonna try that out and see what happens

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Testing PinballFX2 on 347.88 has 0 problems on my end.

However after installing 335.30 I am unable to test thus far because the drivers after several minutes turn my display into this flashing mess.
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/DSCN1171.jpg

I'm assuming this might be an OC problem? Which doesn't make sense since i've had the BIOS modded for these clocks for ~6 months now without a single crash, BSOD or problem of any kind. Even stress testing.

4. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    I play at 1920x1080. Do you want a profile backup or a screenshot of my settings?

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Finally with the latest drivers installed and my normal 8xSGSSAA setting in PinballFX2, YUP Stuttering like crazy!

We need to find other games as well that this might affect and create screenshots of inspector settings to send to Nvidia.

I'm honestly afraid now, because at one point in the 275.xx drivers they broke forcing AA and FXAA at the same time and it was never fixed.

And WTF, you are right turning on the OSD of Afterburner fixes it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  6. Phoenix VII

Phoenix VII Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    Anyone know of a working AA flag for Mount and Blade: Warband?

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I was going to try and record video of the problem. But using the framerate overlay with FRAPs fixes the problem as well!

I did manage to get videos of it. I included it in my bug report to Nvidia. Hopefully they read it :(

https://copy.com/9SUNasbq3kqvPJT0 (Videos)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  8. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi, had the same problem. I keep all my profile settings and import them after each driver install, and some of my older games were set to settings no longer supported my Maxwell gpus, and also had the games crashing. Odd how certain AA modes are no longer supported. Some older games still look better with higher AA settings.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    CSAA was removed because it was a pointless endeavor that had 0 benefit on image quality and performance. Unless you had a REAALLLY old GPU such as the G80 when it was introduced.

Which is entirely irrelevant today.

MFAA despite my own personal issues with it is essentially the successor and actually does make a difference to both IQ and performance. Unlike CSAA.

And as it has been mentioned. 8xQ is the real 8xMSAA.

No other AA modes have been removed since days of ye'old, I'd say the GeForce4 days.

10. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Pity MFAA is not supported if you have SLi, which is madness

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I have discovered another game with the stuttering bug with forced AA

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Also: Wow, after all this time the forcing AA + FXAA bug is finally fixed now thanks to someone pointing it out to me.

Dang.
    Comparison
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134343

This seems like a pointless thing (especially the comparison since it makes AA worse). But there are cases where it is actually helpful!.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  12. daninthemix

daninthemix Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I think I have this problem - get judder during cutscenes with SGSSAA. Did you figure out how to fix it? I'm on 352.86.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    this is all related to the current bug I have been talking about. Report it as a bug to Nvidia

14. daninthemix

daninthemix Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Okay, done. Would be great if someone else could test Mass Effect 3 with different compatibility flags though, just in case I've made a mistake.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The way you guys have described the problem sounds like the exact same one. The faster and with greater volume of reports, the better chance we have of it getting fixed!

Try rolling back to 347.88 and see if the problem disappears. (It should).

This provides a clear line between releases when the regression or bug occurred.

16. daninthemix

daninthemix Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Okay, will try 347.88 as soon as I can. Can I just run the installer and it'll figure out that I'm rolling back?

EDIT: why don't you make a thread in the Nvidia drivers forum? You have more hard data than me, and I won't be able to test the old drivers until mid next-week. Might attract more attention than simply filing a bug report (my bug report has apparently generated a tech support response from a friendly fellow who has no idea what I'm talking about)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The one who I am in contact with seems to understand my problem so far. I am awaiting another response once the weekend is up.

I dont' think posting on their forums would yield any fruitful results. I've almost never had success in reporting a problem there. And filing a bug report is the easiest way to get a direct connection.

Here's a quote of my exact post in the report that clarifies what the problem is and shows some evidence of it to help them understand

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    EDIT: 08/2016
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...768-monitor-on-windows-/post/4899134/#4899134

Following this post, you can actually edit DSR axis multipliers in the registry to achieve perfect resolution scaling (IE: 1.4x1.4, 1.7x1.7, 3.3x3.3).

This is very useful for games that are aspect ratio sensitive (Ex: MT framework games). Some games won't detect non perfect AR resolutions at all.

Using this however, you can do so!

EDIT 2018:

There are issues with this working with newer drivers. You have to change the registry back to the old format for it to work properly.
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...nvidia-dsr-more-then-4x/post/5241430/#5241430
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-207#post-5516100
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-207#post-5516100
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-207#post-5515511

EDIT 2019:
    Latest tool that works with modern drivers! You can even type in your target resolution manually. Want 3200x1800 easy peasy.

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=593534

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Donel likes this.
  19. kindred

kindred Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
    Soldier of Fortune - Payback 0x200100C5 SGSSAA Works OK and game looks much better.

For custom in game resolution, use hex editor on Save/profile.dat and alter to whatever res you want. I'm Using 1920x1080 and game looks much improved with higher resolution and AA.

20. daninthemix

daninthemix Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    OK, rolled back to 347.88 and confirmed that SGSSAA is now working without judder.

MrBonk - as far as you know is 0x000000C1 still a good bit to use for all three Mass Effect games? It seems to work (4 x SGSSAA), most aliasing is gone, just some mild crawling on distant objects. Performance seems fine - definitely better than DSR 4K which I was trying before, and which in any case is useless in ME3 because of the UI scaling.