Dolby® Advanced Audio/ Home Theater Drivers for your built-in HD Audio

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by fr33jack, Aug 19, 2014.

1. CitroHead

CitroHead Guest

GPU:
    titan sli
    fr33jack
    Hello,
    On my Realtek alc889 I have only one 3.5mm line out jack in which I can connect speakers or headphones. Windows detects it as "Speakers" regardless the connection. I want to use headphones, but windows thinks those are Speakers...
    And so does DHT v4, so I get speaker surround in my headphones, and the headphones surround slider doesn't function. It is active, I can move the slider but obviously it doesn't work, since it reads Sound Device list where there is only "Speakers" and no "Headphones" out...
    I think that headphone surround and speakers surround are different. Is there a way to force the headphone surround in this situation?
    Thanks )))
    Wish I could send PMs but I can't ...
    And another question: what programming languages is it necessary to know to be able to make such changes into the drivers (I mean mod the sound drivers the like you do). Specify the chapters if you can, thanks. )))

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    CitroHead, ain`t that possible to select the type of audio device in properties (or in Configuration dialog) of playback device?

3. CitroHead

CitroHead Guest

GPU:
    titan sli
    In configuration dialog I can only select different speaker setup - stereo, quadro, 5.1, 7.1... No headphone option.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Check whether there is difference with headphones plugged and unplugged. Also check in Realtek sound control panel.

5. CitroHead

CitroHead Guest

GPU:
    titan sli
    there is no realtek sound control panel with these drivers?
    I tried them plugged and unplugged - no change in the audio device list, the selection of different speakers setup remains the same. no headphones option appears after connecting the phones into the jack. The headphones surround slider doesn't work either.

Now, with regular realtek drivers I do get an option and I can choose what exactly is connected into the line out jack and I can select headphones among others options. But for that the realtek control panel should be available.

6. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    this works perfectly on the HDMI on my graphics cards. It totally transforms the audio over the standard NVidia hdmi drivers!

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I tried it with my VIA VT2021 on-board to see if it would work and it does.

8. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    If your audio device have one of this hardware ID's this driver works for you

9. trigram777

trigram777 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760
    Warning

This completely breaks your HDCP validation chain, so if you install this driver, you will no longer be able to playback Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, iTunes, etc. content. I imagine it also breaks PowerDVD playback of Blu-rays, but I didn't test that. For some reason this driver is seen as an 'audio repeater' by Windows, and this seems to disrupt HDCP registration (a sort of hardware DRM that's built into the HDMI specification and is required to playback most paid video content). I presume the fact that it's an unsigned driver is what is actually preventing it from qualifying as a protected HDCP signal chain. Worse, simply uninstalling this driver will not restore HDCP validation. You have to either rollback with a restore point or reinstall Windows.

Not complaining or anything, but this hadn't been mentioned yet in this thread, and figuring out this issue and then troubleshooting it was a bit of a nightmare for me. Also, this occurred both on my desktop HTPC with an nVidia GTX 760 and on my Surface Pro 2 with an Intel HD4600, so I'm 99% certain it's a problem inherent to the driver itself, not my particular hardware config.

10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Confirmation anyone? :p

11. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    @fr33jack: but I still do use 32bit/x86 Windows on two computers - on a custom built PC with an old Intel board with Realtek ALC861 audio and on my mom's Dell Inspiron e1405 laptop with Sigmatel/IDT STAC9220 audio. Both computers use Windows 7 x86 editions because these computers can't handle an x64/64bit Windows OS. The good thing about the Dolby PCEE drivers is that they do work through analog, HDMI and SPDIF audio connections.

I discovered a few flaws with the Dolby PCEE drivers with the INF files. They mention IDT audio as "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D1 ;; IDT"
    This is incorrect! The correct Hardware Device ID for IDT Audio is "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D". Therefore the Dolby PCEE drivers won't install on IDT audio chips with VEN_111D because the INF files listed it as 11D1 when it should be 111D [whoops!]. Fortunately on the Dell e1405 laptop, the Sigmatel/IDT audio chip is using HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384.
    Also the Dolby PCEE drivers won't work on C-Media HD and Cirrus HD audio chips because their hardware IDs are not listed there. Anyway CMedia and Cirrus HD audio chips are far fewer than HD audio chips from ADI/Conexant/IDT/Realtek/VIA and making the Dolby PCEE drivers work on Cmedia & Cirrus audio chips is not worth the effort.

I may consider modding the INF files and providing updated Dolby PCEE drivers with the necessary corrections to IDT sometime later this year.

Edit: and remember fr33jack: these Dolby PCEE driver / Dolby Advanced Audio V2 / Dolby Home Theater V4 MSI installer packages normally fail to install on Windows Vista unless Vista users mod/edit the MSI packages in Microsoft Orca to allow installation on Vista.

Requirements to install / run those Dolby PCEE4 packages on Vista:
    Windows Vista Service Pack 2
    .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (because Dolby Advanced Audio V2 & Home Theater V4 are .NET based apps)
    Vista Platform Update - KB971644 (which consists of updates KB960362, KB971512, KB971513 & KB971514)
    Microsoft Orca 3.1 or higher for editing MSI packages [Windows Installer 4.5 SDK includes Orca 4.5 and the Windows 7 SDK includes Orca 5.0]

All those Vista updates have to be installed first before installing any Dolby PCEE4 programs. Otherwise they may fail to run on Windows Vista.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  12. jorpe

jorpe Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980 msi
    Any chance that buying a sound card which supports the Dolby home theater v4 software will allow you to enable this with a signed driver? Trying to use it with nvidia HDMI audio.

13. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    Awesome driver for my gtx970 as I have TV connected via HDMI.Now I can control sound and have fancy equalizer settings :banana:

14. yurizinho182

yurizinho182 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Hi guys
    i have one problem, i have install PCEE DRIVERS and DOLBY ADVANCED AUDIO V2 and ok.

The drive working normaly.
    But i have error when i try configure!

[​IMG]

15. Nospheratu

Nospheratu Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7970M CrossFire
    Thank you @fr33jack for this promising mod, although it doesnt work entirely on my laptop its a step in the right direction as i cant find any alternatives at the moment.

I'd also like to thank @epguy19 for pointing out the flaw in the drivers INF for IDT's device ID.

I have corrected the INF with the correct 111D instead of 11D1 and the Dolby PCEE Driver installs fine without any complaints. This is on Windows 8.1 with driver signing turned off.

Sound works normally and under device manager the sound device is correctly named "Dolby Advanced Audio v2 - IDT HD Audio" or "Dolby Home Theater v4 - IDT HD Audio" depending on the driver selected during installation.

However, if I install the "Dolby Advanced Audio v2" application with the corresponding driver I get the same error as @yurizinho182, "Dolby Profile Editor has stopped working". This does not occur if I choose the Dolby Home Theater configuration. In both cases the Dolby software does not acknowledge the audio device and there is no activity on the spectrum analyzer.

Switching between the profiles does not help either, there is no change in the audio.

Do you think there needs to be changes made in Dolby's application itself to reflect IDT's correct device ID or the changes in the drivers INF should have been enough?

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Same problem here, no jack sensing and software is set up for speakers.

Unfortunately this means the headphone amp isn't used so the output is very low and boosting it with software hurts audio quality.

Nice find though, and great for those who use speakers and not headphones.

17. pseudodeed

pseudodeed Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Qadro M400M
    Hello,
    i have installed this drives on IDT Soundcard and it works great. Thank you!!!

18. pseudodeed

pseudodeed Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Qadro M400M
    Hi mybe you have an update from this great Software?

19. Nospheratu

Nospheratu Member

GPU:
    Radeon 7970M CrossFire
    Well I've gotten it to work now, but the Dolby effects only work then Headphones are plugged in. The spectrum analyzer is absolutely dead when playing music through the laptop speakers, I then plug in the headphones while the music is still playing and it lights up and the effects work perfectly.

I used the same modded INF as mentioned earlier and DHT v4 version that came with a Xonar X-Fi mod that I use on my HTPC.

Interestingly, under Playback devices only the speakers dont have the Dolby tab under properties, both Headphone devices do. I guess I still have a lot more fiddling to do.

20. pseudodeed

pseudodeed Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Qadro M400M
    I can confirm this. The Driver only work with win 7. On winy 8.1 i have the Same effect.