HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    PM/post 'em with any special settings, etc. Installing it right now, so will get to it tomorrow (well...later today by this point since its tomorrow now).

And it doesn't seem like it was ever discussed, but I don't think Bioshock Infinite isn't doable. I never realized it uses HDAO, which seems on by default with use of AO ingame. I went through all current flags here and in the driver that weren't here, and couldn't get it to activate, not even slightly. However, that was with "EnableHDAO=True" and was using the Alternative post-processing mode (so DoF on). Doubt changing either will do anything, but will be on my list of things to do.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    This is not an official listing, i know you want screenshots and before/afters mr.bonk and i'll take them when possible. But for now some observations that i'll make into an official post sooner rather than later:

The provided dead island hbao+ flags are pretty horrible, 0x00000017 (Wolfenstein) <--- actually renders behind the fog. It's super rare for that to be the case. Zero fog bleeding. Almost raises it to an official level of hbao+

0x00000017 (Wolfenstein) <-- also is the best flag for risen 3, on the main hbao+ thread it's listed as non-functional where in fact this flag also works with fog in risen 3. It's a great flag. Just need to disable the ingame ssao completely. Almost never turns off in both dead island, dead island riptide, and risen 3. And renders behind fog, also has a shorter range so you don't get shimmering in the distance while still getting hbao shading for the entire area around you.

I'll come back and edit this as a proper listing soon.

3. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Has anyone ever gotten HBAO to work with F.E.A.R. 2? The default SSAO is hideous. I mean really hideous.

4. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That is Fear 1.

Do need to get around to trying a flag for Fear 2. The official flag didn't produce good results when I last tried last year.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

Proper post indeed needed. Sounds promising though.

7. milesrotaru

milesrotaru Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 880M
    NaissanceE

- NaissanceE -

0x00000030
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||
    Might seem a little strong but this game's flat, minimal aesthetic benefits a lot from the extra detail accentuated by strong ambient occlusion.

Comparison: imgur.com/a/L8YK3

Disable built in AO by editing Steam\SteamApps\common\NaissanceE\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini. Just search the file for "ambientocclusion" and change the relevant setting from true to false.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thank you.

9. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    But the official flag ( 0x0000000D ) is HBAO+ ready, no?

10. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

11. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    - FIFA 15 -

Flag: 0x00020000

OFF: http://i.imgur.com/6QG95qn.jpg
    HBAO+: http://i.imgur.com/rarH6e8.jpg

Notes: Bioshock flag worked fine imo, found no issues so far.
    0x00110000 and 0x00140000 works too, but randomly flickers, and 0x00060000 adds a very strong effect that sometimes can be annoying :)

UPDATE: I do not recommend using hbao anymore, since a user reported flickering issues, and after doing more testings, it really flickered alot, and it happened to all compatible flags! http://youtu.be/4rPRBQbG7vc
    ATM, HBAO is impossible without flickering :bang:

Vsync helps to reduce flickering :infinity:, so i recommend you to use it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  12. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
  13. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    many thanks
    "17" looks perfect imo :eyes:

14. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Yeah I had to share it. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to hbao+ flags, so i'll only share the ones that don't have background shimmer/flickering.

I'd rather no ssao than background bleeding. Fog must be respected!

Speaking of which, something has to be done about that gothic iv arcania flag. So much background bleed.

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    "0x00000017" looks a little too subtle for my taste, but I agree "0x00000019" is pretty useless in Dead Island because of the terrible bleeding through fog in your screenshots.
    Any chance you found a stronger flag, which doesn't bleed through fog?

Btw I found, that "0x00000007" applies a stronger AO effect in Risen 2 than the "0x00000017" flag you suggested for Risen 3.
    Perhaps it is worth testing "0x00000007" in Risen 3?
    Would do it myself, but I don't have R3 yet :)

16. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    I think subtle flags are great if it means you get absolutely zero artifacts. You will find most of the hbao+ flags designed for games (diablo 3 just as one example) tend to lean more towards the subtle side of things since you don't want to be noticing the hbao non stop. First person games even more so because even hbao+ has shimmering.

I tried that flag you suggested with risen 3, it's more noticeable but i find it turns off sometimes around ships and water. Whereas 0x00000007 does not.

I can't tolerate going back to risen 2 to see if i get the same results as you because i literally cannot handle the amount of desaturation and bleaching that game has. Skipped it entirely. Might dig into the ini oneday and see if i can get it looking the same as risen 3. Since the actual .exe did not recieve that much more code over risen 2. It's mostly just ini settings that made it perform better. Last resort being sweetfx.

Anyway, i'll keep messing around with risen 3, but for now i think that flag is pretty damn good for dead island.

17. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
  18. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
  19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Very well, I was just curious if you found other artifact-free flags for Dead Island.
    "0x00000017" it is then :)
    And honestly I think Risen 2 looks pretty darn nice with the right mods, 4xSGSSAA and HBAO+ ;)
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10178666&postcount=75

20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I can now finally conclude, that forced HBAO+ is impossible in ArmA II & Operation Arrowhead without one issue or another.
    The official "0x00000013" flag causes the grass to look very "fuzzy", and flickers on and off depending on viewing angle and distance.
    The only two real alternatives to this are "0x00000016" and "0x00000026".

The "16" profile is slightly less prone to flickering on and off than "13", but unfortunately bleeds through distant fog.
    On the other hand does "26" apply a more subtle effect than both "13" and "16", but also flickers on and off especially on grass.