Animation reel from Obsidian's cancelled "Aliens Crucible" RPG

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by pusscifer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. pusscifer

pusscifer Member

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    http://vimeo.com/56606365

just stumbled across this, seems like it's yet to be covered by any news site...

might be wrong though...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    I wish colonial marines are like that.

3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    ...some footage of Aliens: Crucible RPG (pre-alpha build)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tY27Qehork

and those are some concept arts and renders -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some Info:

Released: Cancelled
    Publisher: Sega
    Developer: Obsidian
    Formats: PC, X360, PS3
    Genre: Role-Playing Game

Description:

Sega announced on December 13, 2006 that Obsidian Entertainment will be creating a role-playing game based on the Alien film franchise which will be released on PC and next-generation consoles. The game was due to be released sometime in 2009 but now has been delayed until 2010. Obsidian is well known for creating games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2. The role playing game will “build upon the distinctive look and feel of the original films while utilizing next-generation technology to create an entirely different and unique Alien experience“.

Simon Jeffery, president of Sega, said “With Obsidian Entertainment’s development pedigree, they were our first choice to bring the Alien franchise to the RPG universe. They are the only developer for us that could effectively combine the Alien mythology with compelling RPG gameplay to create the ultimate Alien experience.” Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment also said “We are thrilled to be working with the great production and publishing teams at Sega to deliver the ultimate in-depth Alien experience to gamers worldwide. Building an epic RPG with a license as heralded as the Alien franchise is truly a great honor.” Unlike the majority of RPG or dragon games online, Crucible would have been set apart by its unique gameworld. The dark, brooding Alien universe would have been unique to RPG games. Unfortunately Sega shelved the project in 2009. Since the cancellation, Obsidian has gone on to create other major titles including Fallout New Vegas and Dungeon Siege III.

Cancellation:

When AvP was announced in February 2009, Sega announced that development on the game had been “indefinitely suspended”. No reason had been given. It was reported that several employees at Obsidian had lost their jobs. The game was officially cancelled in June 2009. Both Sega and Obsidian confirmed it and Obsidian removed their Aliens RPG forum shortly after. Again, no reason was given, however our sources told us Obsidian weren’t meeting their goals and building levels took much longer than anticipated.

What Did We Know:

Not much was released about the game. The first concept art was leaked online in February 2009 showing various locations. We also learnt the name of the game: Aliens Crucible. More concept art was leaked online over the months. You can find them all in our gallery. The first video footage was leaked online in January 2010. It was from an early build from 2007 and showed the player exploring a facility.

by www.avpgalaxy.net

4. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    ...but it gets better :lol
    NEW! Untitled ALIENS Game is in development state for xbox720/ ps4/ pc -

[​IMG]

Information:

Release Date: Unknown
    Official Site: Unknown
    Publisher: Sega
    Developer: Creative Assembly
    Formats: Unknown (nextgen consoles/ pc)
    Genre: Unknown

History:

A new Aliens game was announced in May 2011. No information is known about the project. It will be developed by Creative Assembly who are best known for their work on the Total War* game series.

* - "ALIENS RTS"??!!!..Are you @ucking kidding me!!!!? :lol

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    was there not news a week or two back of obsidian making calls recently trying to revive it?

more than likely buying the idea that acm would be a AAA hit, and that interest might be high in more aliens based games, and hey they had work done on stuff. smart play too bad gbx lied to everyone through their teeth :p.

6. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    i've read somewhere that Obsidian have they hands full with new Star Wars: KotOR 3 game...

7. kapo

kapo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Where did you read that? Didn't tor pretty much kill off that story?

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    partially on IGN, partially on some russians sites and some rss channels i've read and such...
    they make it for "nextgen"...i've read that they are already in "WIP" on SWKotOR3, but without any announcements yet...

just google it ;)

9. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    ALIENS: TOTAL WAR.....interesting concept I say :D

10. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    No, they said that they would be interested to make one, yet they are not currently working on a Star Wars game as far as I know. What they are currently working on is "Project Eternity" and "South Park the Stick of Truth". So they are probably having their hands full right now.

11. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Doubtful, i would expect gameplay more along the lines of their non RTS games. Like Spartan Total Warrior or Viking Battle For Asgard.

12. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    They already started on KotOR3 right after they've done with KotOR2...before LucasArts cancelled project for better times. Also, yes they already talked with publisher in 2012 about KotOR3 and how they would be "interested" about making it...this means (and this is how it works) they already have a bunch of concept arts, 3d renders and prototype of game mechanics concept (pre-prototype alpha build) to show those on publisher/ Obsidian meetings, ergo "WIP" already started...kinda ;)

EDIT:
    as for "South Park"...this game already finished, as they said. They working on final testing with this one, I presume. "Project Eternity" have a different bunch of "Obsidian" people working on it...so I don't see any obstacles for them to work on KotOR3 game. Obsidian Entertainment not a small company...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    First time I hear about this Alien game, sad it was canceled now that I know of it. Obsidian are great at RPGs, and even though in my heart I still hope there will be a Kotor3 I seriously doubt it will ever happen. TOR had so much potential singe player lore wasted to a crowd that doesn't even appreiciate story and dialogue that it's a real shame. I know it was made by Bioware but still...

One thing is sure though, with the coming of the new SW trilogy there will be many SW themed games coming out, maybe even some RPGs amongst them!

14. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz