SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StixsmasterHD

StixsmasterHD Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    I wonder why you say there is no AA when you can clearly see there is AA.

Even in the sweetFX config you can see SMAA is on.

So to me you obviously need glasses and/or need to read data before you actually make your accusations.

If needed here is a quote from my sweetFX config of smaa on.

I jest chose not to be lazy and chose high, medium, or low. & went the advanced way and went extreme.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    U might wanna turn CORNER ROUNDING to 0...
    It affects text and some other stuff that is visuall unwanted..

i posted the reason somewhere on the first 5 pages or so...
    Also, from my standpoint these images look way to sharp for me, u can allready see some artefacts from it..

Try 1.0 or 0.8 and see what it does..

3. StixsmasterHD

StixsmasterHD Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    Here is me trying 0:

[​IMG]

Doesnt look like it really made any difference. Sept mayb imho a tad worse.

4. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Ouch..that sharpening stab me :3eyes:

5. It seems to me there's not only sharpening that makes this picture look that bad. Sorry, StixsmasterHD, I don't want to hurt your feelings, obviously you like the result, and as I've said earlier - it's a matter of personal likes/dislikes.

Now I want to play with it myself.

6. riddikfurian

riddikfurian Member

GPU:
    @Ceejay.dk, is there a way to rename d3d9.dll to DINPUT8.dll or anything else so my laptop wont switch from gt640m to hd4000?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Ed

7. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    SMAA is not the kind of AA that requires sharpening. At all..... and no matter what you set the custom settings to, it's limited to 1x. 1xSMAA is not really all that much for fairly detailed games. I see aliasing all over your screenshot. That is the few areas where it's not actually too grainy to see details.

Hell, I played Dishonored with 4xSGSSAA (which tends to blur) at 1620p (higher res - higher sharpening) and I still only turned it up to 1.6. And that was probably a perfect value.

You should only, ONLY be using a high sharpening value if you're compensating for blur. Otherwise, keeping it low will still enhance the game.

8. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
    My first SweetFX settings for Borderlands 2

Hi all

My first Borderlands 2 + sweetfx screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my taste.

9. MrRixter

MrRixter Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 295x2
    anybody tried this on dota 2?

10. Terrasque

Terrasque Guest

GPU:
    amd / something / somethi
    SweetFX Configurator 1.3.2 released

Changes
    * New “Game Settings” window
    * Launcher function now support:
    ** Command line args
    ** Different working directory
    * Experimental support for Split SweetFX installation, where the injector files are put in a subdirectory. Can be enabled via Game Settings window. Note : Will only work if enabled before adding SweetFX to the game
    * Program now use a new way to save settings and game entries. Old entries should be automatically converted on first startup.
    * Rename game entry function moved to the Game Settings window.
    * Fixed a bug that could prevent config diff / “List changes” function from actually listing all the changes.
    * Game settings window also have a button to open the folder the game is in

Download
    * sweetfx.thelazy.net

11. riddikfurian

riddikfurian Member

GPU:
    Hi Terrasque, sorry to bother, your configurator works without the d3d9.dll in the game .exe folder? if not can it be renamed ? got a problem in a optimus laptop when a d3d9.dll is present switches from nv640m to intel hd4000!
    Thanks in advance

Ed

12. Terrasque

Terrasque Guest

GPU:
    Let's see, where to begin. I'm a bit unclear about your meaning, so sorry if I answer the wrong things :)

First of all, I just make the UI, CeeJay makes the actual shaders.

Right now my config utility take no consideration about directx 9/10/11, and just copies both dll's in. When checking if a game already have the mod installed, it currently just checks if "d3d9.dll" is in the folder. It's not perfect, but then again, this is the first time I've heard of a possible problem regarding it.

Now, when that is said, you say that your laptop insist on using the internal gfx card if "d3d9.dll" exist in the folder? or is loaded by the game? Or do you mean that the laptop software have its own d3d9.dll that it wants to put in the game folder?

It is possible to not have d3d9.dll - but then SweetFX would only work on DirectX 10/11 games - and I suspect that the reason it goes to internal card is something SweetFX' d3d9.dll does - which in that case indicates that its a DirectX 9 game, and thus SweetFX won't work without that dll..

Was that close to what you were wondering on? Also, I'm not the dev behind SweetFX, so most here is just guessing :)

13. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    New experimental "split" (set before adding SweetFX to a game, yes).....isn't working :D
    With Clear Sky all files remain in "bin" folder.

The problem maybe lies in the name of split dir.....better choice is in the absolute path of the dir!

14. Riadon

Riadon New Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 670 4 GB
    I can't seem to get this working for the dx9 version of Dragon Age 2. It works for every other game that I have tried.

Any ideas?

15. Terrasque

Terrasque Guest

GPU:
    Some questions:
    -What was the path of the exe file you selected?
    -What structure should the files be in?
    -Did you actually click "Save changes" after enabling?
    -Was there anything from SweetFX already installed in any of the folders?

16. riddikfurian

riddikfurian Member

GPU:
    @Terrasque:
    thanks for your quick reply! :)
    the presence of the sweetfx d3d9.dll in the game exectuable folder is causing the switch to the integrated graphics, if i take it out its fine but that means no dx9 games like skyrim, TFL Replica told me that dsfix (The resolution/AA fix for Dark Souls) had a similar behavior and renaming the dll fixed it, my question is if it can be done in sweetfx, already asked Ceejay.dk but havent got a reply yet...
    i really like sweetfx it changes the bland look most games have, its crisper and more realistic! once you try sweetfx you cant go back! ;)
    Thanks for your reply, your help and your work, the configurator is very good!

cheers

Ed

17. Terrasque

Terrasque Guest

GPU:
    I suspect that the problem is in how the injectors initialize the graphics card. More precisely, I suspect that the injectors take the shortcut "use first gfx card" while the official DirectX 9 code have more advanced methods of selecting which card to use.

Also, I don't think renaming the dll was the solution, sounds more like they were using a different (DirectX 8 based?) injector (From other forum: "The solution was to switch from using a d3d9.dll to DINPUT8.dll.") instead. Maybe one that does a better initialization, or passes that part on to the original directx runtime.

This is, again, guesswork, but if it is that (and it seems likely for me) I suspect CeeJay can do very little about that without the injectSMAA (which SweetFX uses) source code.

18. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    my config for metro is finished :) Here are before/after shots and settings.

in game settings : DX11, high,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Code:
       /*-----------------------------------------------------------.
      /                      Choose effects                         /
      '-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
    #define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines.
    #define USE_LUMASHARPEN   1 //[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
    #define USE_BLOOM         0 //[0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
    #define USE_HDR           0 //[0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
    #define USE_TECHNICOLOR   0 //[0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
    #define USE_DPX           1 //[0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
    #define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 0 //[0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
    #define USE_TONEMAP       1 //[0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
    #define USE_VIBRANCE      0 //[0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
    #define USE_CURVES        0 //[0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
    #define USE_SEPIA         0 //[0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
    #define USE_VIGNETTE      0 //[0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
    #define USE_DITHER        0 //[0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
    #define USE_SPLITSCREEN   0 //[0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

/                  SMAA Anti-aliasing settings                /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.14           // [0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 50      // [0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 8  // [0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
    #define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 50        // [0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
    #define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1        // [0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
    #define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0  // [0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/                       LumaSharpen settings                  /
    // -- Sharpening --
    #define sharp_strength 0.11   // [0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
    #define sharp_clamp    0.035  // [0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
    #define pattern 2        // [1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
    #define offset_bias 1.0  // [0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
                             // I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
    #define show_sharpen 0   // [0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/                       Bloom settings                        /
    #define BloomThreshold 50.00 //[0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
    #define BloomPower 0.1000     //[0.0000 to 8.0000] Strength of the bloom
    #define BloomWidth 0.4000    //[0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/                        HDR settings                         /
    #define HDRPower 0.60  //[0.0 to 8.0] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
    #define radius2  0.87  //[0.0 to 8.0] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/                      TECHNICOLOR settings                   /
    #define TechniAmount 0.11        //[0.0 to 1.0]
    #define TechniPower  2.8         //[0.0 to 8.0]
    #define redNegativeAmount   0.88 //[0.0 to 1.0]
    #define greenNegativeAmount 0.88 //[0.0 to 1.0]
    #define blueNegativeAmount  0.88 //[0.0 to 1.0]

/                      Cineon DPX settings                    /
    #define Red   13.0  //[1.0 to 15.0]
    #define Green 14.0  //[1.0 to 15.0]
    #define Blue  13.0  //[1.0 to 15.0]

#define ColorGamma    0.9  //[0.1 to 2.5] Adjusts the colorfulness of the effect in a manner similar to Vibrance. 1.0 is neutral.
    #define DPXSaturation 0.91  //[0.0 to 8.0] Adjust saturation of the effect. 1.0 is neutral.

#define RedC   0.21  //[0.6 to 0.2]
    #define GreenC 0.21  //[0.6 to 0.2]
    #define BlueC  0.21  //[0.6 to 0.2]

#define Blend 0.36    //[0.0 to 1.0] How strong the effect should be.

/                      Lift Gamma Gain settings               /
    #define RGB_Lift  float3(0.950, 1.000, 1.030)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue
    #define RGB_Gamma float3(1.033, 0.940, 0.940)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
    #define RGB_Gain  float3(0.990, 0.990, 1.000)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

/                        Tonemap settings                     /
    #define Gamma 1.08        //[0.00 to 2.00] Adjust midtones

#define Exposure -0.05    //[-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust exposure

#define Saturation 0.0  //[-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust saturation

#define Bleach 0.15      //[0.00 to 1.00] Brightens the shadows and fades the colors

#define Defog 0.011  //[0.00 to 1.00] How much of the color tint to remove
    #define FogColor float3(0.00, 0.80, 0.00) //[0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to remove - default is blue

/                       Vibrance settings                     /
    #define Vibrance 0.15 //[-1.0 to 1.0] Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/                        Curves settings                      /
    #define Curves_contrast 0.20  //[-1.0 to 1.0] The amount of contrast you want

// -- Advanced curve settings --
    #define Curves_formula 7      //[1|2|3|4|5|6|7] The constrast s-curve you want to use. 

/                         Sepia settings                      /
    #define ColorTone float3(1.40, 1.10, 0.90) //[0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to tint the image
    #define GreyPower  0.11                    //[0.0 to 1.0] How much desaturate the image before tinting it
    #define SepiaPower 0.58                    //[0.0 to 1.0] How much to tint the image

/                       Vignette settings                     /
    #define VignetteRadius 1.00   //[-1.00 to 3.00] lower values = stronger radial effect from center
    #define VignetteAmount -1.00  //[-2.00 to 1.00] Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
    #define VignetteSlope 8       //[1 to 16] How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
    #define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500)  //[0.00 to 1.00] Center of effect.

/                        Dither settings                      /
    //No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.

//Note that the checkerboard pattern used by Dither, makes an image harder to compress.
    //This can make your screenshots and video recordings take up more space.

/                     Splitscreen settings                    /
    #define splitscreen_mode 3  //[1|2|3|4|5]  1 = Vertical 50/50 split, 2 = Vertical 25/50/25 split, 3 = Vertical 50/50 angled split, 4 = Horizontal 50/50 split, 5 = Horizontal 25/50/25 split

19. riddikfurian

riddikfurian Member

GPU:
    @Terrasque:
    If thats the case, no sweetfx dx9 games in my laptop... :(
    ENBseries works but its hard to configure and looks washed and overbrighten, but like i said, once you get used to sweetfx its gonna be hard to use another without comparing...
    im not saying ENBseries is bad but i like sweetfx better...
    Also tried to run ENB as a proxy with sweetfx but didnt work...
    Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Ed

20. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Fraps does not capture FXAA via drivers :3eyes: .Please anyone know of a good AA for ds2 except SMAA?

(DPX,TONEMAP and Luma)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.