Some news about MSI Afterburner v2.3.0

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

More good news about capturing via external VFW codecs in AB 2.3.0. I just tried it with x264vfw codec. The codec it is unable to provide 30 FPS realtime encoding on my i7 in 1680x1050, however it records fine at 30 FPS when frame size is downsampled to 720p. So if your're about to record non-fullframe video and compression ratio is a key factor for you - it will be good choice.

2. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks for that! Seems that new AB version will bring various improvements!

3. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Thanks for this! This little rounding error would drive me nuts. :)

4. deceptionist

deceptionist New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 Lightning SLI
    Thanks!

5. Unwinder

6. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    Unwinder you are doing an amazing job. :)

7. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
  8. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    mhm, does the X264cfw codec uses RAW CPU power or its working via Intel QuickSync ?

Well yeah, as Eyefinity user with 5760x1080 Resolution i'll stay at MJPG codec. Especially with Crossfire ;( even tought... havent compared RTV1 with MJPG. New version of RTV1 hm ? gotta test that out if i find the time!

Edit: ~.~ can't use Unigine Heaven 3.0 Benchmark for a Video Recording test!
    This Benchmark has nearly NO CPU load! in BL2 FPS drop way more when recording.
    [​IMG]
    Normal= Non Video Recording, and NOT uncompressed!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  9. Unwinder

It's a third party codec, cannot say for sure, but as far as I understand it is not using QuickSync.

10. skyboyextreme

skyboyextreme Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970 Vapor-x 3GB
    great work but can you consider making after burner able to deal with voltage in "boost" mode in the the 7950 boos editions and the 7970 ghz edition ? because of now the only way to control the voltages on those cards is via forcing constant voltage !

also a new sapphire trixx version just came out 2 days ago v4.0.4b that is able to control the voltage in the "boost" state but i don't really like using sapphire trixx because it lacks alot of the features i like in msi afterburner and i can't use it to adjust the memory voltage too !

please consider it man , thanks !

11. Unwinder

Good news, dual audio recording feature has been approved by MSI so it will be implemented in 2.3.0. It will be possible to record audio from two independent audio sources and either save them into independent audio tracks in AVI file or mix audio tracks in one in realtime.
    Also, it will be possible to run MSI Afterburner in limited functionality mode on the systems with no supported AMD/NVIDIA graphics card. So you'll be able to use Predator video capture module even on the systems with integrated Intel graphics.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  12. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Amazing new features! Thanks you Unwinder for developing them and MSi for approving them!

13. stevenhunter

stevenhunter Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Thanks and feedback

Outstanding! I've been looking for this feature for a while and wasn't thrilled about Bandicam and Dxtory's prices. I was actually registering only to ask that this feature be considered, and was really happy to know it's coming. So I registered solely to say thanks to you developers and also the people behind you.

Perhaps a bit off-topic but while I'm here, I'd like to elaborate why I find the VFW option so interesting. At first, MJPEG was my favorite codec, but it has tended to darken the colors on my system, something related to YUV => YV12 conversions, so it doesn't behave well with neither ffdshow or LAV Filters and this also affects Avisynth scripts. I've tried a lot of configurations but so far I could only trust Microsoft's MJPEG decoder, and this is useless with AVS. About RTV, my first experiments had me disappointed with quality, which I'd rather be as close to visually lossless as possible, though I realize a lot of work was put into it and it's last version has come a lot better... anyway I just haven't had the time and focus to really experiment with it anew. Anyway I'm really comfortable encoding with x264vfw at Superfast preset, ZeroLatency and Film tunings, IntraRefresh (manual command line option) and CRF 11. So this is really good news to me. :)

14. Unwinder

v2.3.0 development has been finished, it will be submitted to MSI for internal previewing and testing in the next couple days. Changes list includes:

• Added 9-bit VID support for CHL8318 voltage regulators to bypass 1.6V limit in Extreme versions of MSI Afterburner
    • Fixed rounding error in VID generation for offset voltage control mode for CHL8318 voltage generators
    • Now it is possible to start MSI Afterburner in limited functionality mode on the systems with no supported AMD on NVIDIA graphics card. This allows you to use hardware independent features like high-performance Predator™ video capture module on any PC, even if it is using integrated Intel graphics
    • Added frametime graph to hardware monitoring module. The graph is displaying the maximum frame time on each sampling period and it is useful for detecting microstutters, which are invisible on averaged framerate graph.
    • MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 4.4.0. New version gives you the following major improvements in Predator™ video capture module:
    o Improved RTV1 compression algorithm. New compression approach combines DXTC, RLE and uncompressed data saving algorithms and allows you to increase image quality at the cost of decreasing compression ratio, while keeping extremely fast compression performance. Please take a note that the previous RTV1 compression implementation is equal to the lowest possible 25% image quality/compression ratio balance in new implementation
    o Added 64-bit version of RivaTuner Video Codec. Now RTV1 videos are playable and editable in 64-bit applications (e.g. 64-bit Sony Vegas PRO or Adobe Premiere PRO CS6)
    o Huffman tables are no longer omitted by MJPG encoder to improve compatibility with applications using limited MJPG decoders (e.g. Sony Vegas PRO)
    o Now both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of RivaTuner Video Codec can optionally decode MJPG videos. Third party MJPG codec installation is no longer required to play or edit MJPG videos with omitted Huffman tables in some applications with limited MJPG decoding support (e.g. Sony Vegas PRO). MJPG decoder can be enabled in video capture compatibility properties
    o Multisource audio recording. Now it is possible to record audio from two independent audio sources (e.g. game audio and microphone sound) in two independent audio tracks then mix them later in video editing application (e.g. Sony Vegas PRO) or optionally mix multiple tracks in realtime during capture
    o WASAPI audio packets with timestamp error are no longer included into output audio stream
    o External VFW codecs support. Now in addition to built-in uncompressed, RTV1 and MJPG encoders it is also possible to encode video using external VFW codecs installed in the system. It is recommended to download, install and use Lagarith Lossless Codec for lossless video capturing or x264vfw codec for the maximum compression ratio, MSI Afterburner was developed to provide the best compatibility with these codecs
    o Video stream synchronization is now based on inserting NULL frames instead of indexing existing frames
    o Frame dropping implementation has been improved to provide compatibility with external VFW codecs using temporal compression and deltaframes
    o Now output video dimensions are always cropped to be multiples of 2 to provide compatibility with external VFW codecs
    o Now framerate is calculated on each frame with sliding 1000ms window approach instead of calculating it once per second
    o Improved rendering pipeline flushing implementation for Direct3D9 applications provides more stable framerate when capturing videos with VSync enabled
    o New dynamic Direct3D rendering pipeline flushing approach can decrease videocapture related performance hit when capturing videos in Direct3D applications with high rendering framerates
    o Added German localization
    o Updated profiles list

15. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    :eek2:

Thanks Alex, you're restless.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Very impressive change log, thanks Unwinder!

17. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    alex, whats this "Extreme versions of MSI Afterburner"? heard about it before, but thought thats just rumors ...
    curious! is there a way to get hold of such a version. as you know i have my own tool to bypass the limits for 2.2.3 but no idea if this will work with 2.3.0!

anyway, is there any further limitation on overvolting possibilities of 680 lightning cards in regards to 2.2.3 / 2.2.4.
    will the entries in the ini files you posted for 2.2.4 work for 2.3.0 also?

good work, although im not in viderecording ...!

18. Unwinder

It's private build of MSI Afterburner with extended voltage adjustment ranges. MSI provide it under NDA to known overclockers special for extreme overclocking parties and so on. I don't provide it myself to anyone, sorry.

Yep

19. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    asked out of curiosity. expected something like this. thats ok for me, as i have my own working solution for unlimited voltage control with 2.2.3. anyway! will test if it still works with 2.4.0. waiting for 2.4.0 as this version finally should fix the rounding errors associated with vid voltage.

20. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Superb changelog! Thanks Alexey!