Just curious about surface format optim. in CCC what exactly does it do?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by savannahmick, Nov 18, 2010.

1. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    I noticed new options in CCC 10.10e one is surface format optimization and I was wondering what does it do? Also what games does this work with? One more thing what is a game that MLAA works well with , so I can test fps with it enabled? Thanks for any info/help!

2. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    MLAA is for games that dont support Anti Aliasing,GTA 4 is one example though i cant use it as MLAA wont work on my 4890

3. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ATI surface optimization is automatic FP16 to FP11 format demotion and it affects base texture quality. But I think its only used in 6 or 7 older dx9 titles. If you want the best quality disable it.

4. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Hey thanks for the info don't play many DX9 games!

One more thing if you set the new slider for AI in CCC to quality is this the same as standard setting in old CCC? Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

5. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    Not directed at you UnrealGaming. But OP if you want to know more about FP16 demotion here is a link: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature...and-degrading-game-quality-says-nvidia.aspx/1

Pretty much says FP16 does exist but it's affect on games is not universal. Out of 4 games they tested only one had visual loss. The other 3 had none and 2 of them had significant improvement in performance. Can just turn it off, really won't affect you IMO, performance hit won't be a big deal as they are mostly DX9 games as UnrealGaming said.