Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    Since this is the suggestion thread for MSI Afterburner I thought I would post one. A nice addition to the monitor set would be GPU Fan RPM's. I've seen some cases unfortunately where the Fan Setting will stay put but the actual RPM's drop. I know RT has plugin's that can monitor this. Would it be feasible to implement into MSI AB and by extention to the GPU Monitor for it?

I don't know if this would require a plug in and if so I understand from reading the other replies that it is a no go. Would be nice though if possible.

2. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I'd like to see some more advanced fan-control stuff. I'm thinking about such things as setting a "target maximum temperature" for the fully automatic algorithm, and possibly settings such as incremental increase values (thus accelerating the fan increase values per measurement until the fan is sufficiently ahead of the temperature increase to actually arrest the temperature rise at a lower value).

Reasoning being that the efficiency of air cooling diminish as temperature rising, and thus stopping the temperature rise at a lower point would net result in a lower sustained fan noise level.

Same logic can be applied to temperature decreases, however I suspect it would be beneficial to delay decreases in fan temperature by a user definable value, with a default of say ... 10 seconds. Sustaining a higher rpm for some seconds after temperatures are dropping, will accelerate the cooling off, and thus get us to a lower temperature a lot faster (and I suspect most people can survive nine extra seconds of fan noise, if that means the fan can go almost directly to "idle" and not remain at just slightly less "jumbo-jet" levels).

If it's interesting, I'm fairly sure I can pseudo-code the necessary algorithm mathematics, however I haven't touched neither compiler nor assembler in 14 years, so I may be a little rusty in the coding department.

//Svein

3. Matrices

Matrices Member

First of all: thanks. Giant thanks. Amazing program and great to see the evolution from Rivatuner (lots of functionality, not so intuitive AI) to EVGA Precision (easy to use, but less functionality) to MSI Afterburner (best compromise of both worlds).

Only think I can think of is a more prominent, visual way to choose the GPU you want to change the options for - ideally, tabs to change and monitor the settings for each GPU.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

When designing MSI Afterburner initially I planned to add GPU selection controls right in the main window (something similar to Precision GPU selection buttons). But MSI beleives that SLI/Crossfire systems are definitively not dominating on the market so they prefer to avoid eating main window space with the controls serving just to 5% of users and hide it deeper in the settings. And that sounds absolutely reasonable for me. Anyway, it is not a problem to add it one day if the company find it reasonable.

5. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    It occurred to me today that this would be a nice feature: automatic hiding of OSD in screenshots. Only because I noticed how many times I had to manually turn it on/off to take some :)

And may as well throw this out there too from my other thread, bind take screenshot to Print Screen!

6. Unwinder

I guess that's what is called "it is impossible to satisfy everyone". Fun, but it was done exactly like that in the past (i.e. screen capture didn't include the OSD overlay), but was changed to its current form due to endless requests like "I wanna see OSD on my screenshots". I could add an option toggling both modes, but hardly see any sense in eating settings space with option used just by 1% of users, sorry.

Forget about it. Traditional OS hotkey editor controls DO NOT allow binding <Print Screen> key for any purposes, as well as some other pre-defined and reserved keys (e.g. <Esc> and <Backspace>). And I see zero sense in developing own editor just because someone cannot assing any of other remaining ~100 keys for screen capture. If you need it that badly, you can assign Print Screen to capture yourself (as it is limitation of editor only, but not the hotkey handler) by specifying

ScreenCaptureHotkey=0008002Ch

in .\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg

7. amdking

amdking Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 768MB OC'd
    I would like the ability to clock lower than designated so I can create custom 2D / 3D profiles correctly.

8. d2k

d2k Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 BE
    hi there.....

i finally got MSI AB to overvolt my 5970 ..yay (it will not alter voltage when running a dedicated NV PPU with an ATI primary), in order to overvolt i have to disable the NV card & 2nd monitor.

is there any way to force voltage detection while running the above config..?

im hoping our past communication is water under the bridge Unwinder...:)

9. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    That's all I was looking for in the first place :) However, it does not work. I change the line as specified(re-opened the cfg to make sure it saved, and it did), but it still functions on my previous binding and not Prnt Screen.

Thanks anyway~

10. Unwinder

Unreal, it does work if you follow the instruction properly. I've provided full path to .cfg file not just for fun, there are _two_ MSIAfterburner.cfg files, first one is a template with default settings in the root folder, second one is an actual settings storage located in .\Profiles subfolder. You're editing wrong one.

11. Sanhime

Sanhime New Member

GPU:
    2 ATI Radeon HD 5970 CFX
    Ability to create profiles for individual games and apps that includes forcing 3D settings (D3D override?) like AA, AF, CFX, SLI, and fan controls.

12. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    You've been a complete ******* anytime anybody has asked for you anything, what's the deal? Get off your high horse. I was nothing but courteous in my reply.

Now, again, IT DOESN'T WORK. I'm not an idiot, and I can follow your instructions just fine. I don't know why you ASS-U-ME I went to the wrong file location. I didn't. Hell, there isn't even a "ScreenCaptureHotkey" line in the other location... its impossible to screw up. I went and changed the keybind in the exact place you specified. Reopened the file to make sure it saved, and it did. I hit Prnt Screen, no screenshot was created in my specified folder. I then hit Ctrl+Insert, which was the keybind before I made any changes. And bam, screenshot.

Here is my PSR log to prove it, open in Internet Explorer if you lack the browser capability for .mht: http://www.razorbites.com/celeras/Problem_20100511_1600.mht

Take your time apologizing and try to settle down. This isn't a big deal, I was just letting you know your fix didn't work and thanking you for your efforts.

13. Unwinder

It does work, but your understanding completely doesn't. Try to use a bit of logic to understand that if you're editing the hotkey binding in .cfg files manually and the application is still using and previously defined binding, then you're definitively screwed on some step. And editing .cfg while application is running is really "smart" move, how do you expect it to pick up new settings, genius?
    And no, you don't have to take your time appologizing for aggressive stupidity. You're anyway in my ignore list both here and in EVGA Precision forums since now.

14. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    Yeah, whatever. I followed your steps, it didn't work. You say I screwed up somehow, so I post a step-by-step PSR proving I did exactly what you asked, and that it doesn't work. Yet its still my fault somehow? :banana:

Ridiculous, keep trying to save face over something so trivial. I've never met a more pig-headed dev in my life.

15. Unwinder

[ignore mode off]
    If you're so stupid that you don't realize that you're NOT editing the file being in use by application and overwritten by it on application exit and prefer to throw insults because of your own stupidity, you have to search for different place. Go back to EVGA forum, troll. This place is not for you.
    [/ignore mode off]

16. didamangi

didamangi Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I just tried it and it work perfectly, you're doing it wrong...

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  17. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Unwinder:
    Have you given any thought to the idea of making a "target temperature loaded 100%" and "target temperature idle" method for controlling the gpu fans? As I said, I can probaly pseudocode the logic, but I haven't touched compiler nor assembler since 1996, so codifying it in c/asm would take a little longer.

//Svein

18. Unwinder

Not in Afterburner, sorry. Target temperature based fan control approach is exactly what is used as default automatic hardware fan control algorithm on many modern graphics cards (e.g. GTX 200 and GTX 400 series). And if you prefer such fan control way and understand what you want to acheive, then you can always use RT to customize operating temeprature via direct low-level access to PWM controller. And talking about adding low-level fan control to Afterburner, it is really not the best functionality to be given to average Joe. Trivial temperature->fan speed curve is more than enough for average user needs.

19. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    It seems to be something like that set for the ATI 5850 as well. But with a target somewhere near 85 degrees C, and for a card that ejects only half the air outside the case (the other half on the inside), this makes for a perfect case-warmer. With some curve-tweaking in afterburner it's quite easy to keep the card well below 70 at all times (even clocked to 800/1200), but alas there is no option to delay spin-down of the fans (and thus getting to a lower temperature faster). Even adding "delay fan spindown X seconds from temperature drop" would make for a huge improvement (and would give a less variable fanspeed meaning less variance in pitch, meaning your ears would "get used to" and filter out the sound).

As for rivatuner, I simply haven't had any luck getting it to play nice with my system (Asus EAH5850 card on a P45-based mainboard), but Afterburner works splendidly.

//Svein

20. Unwinder

Nope, 5800 family uses more simple form of hardware fan controller, similar to curve provided by Afterburner but just with 1 segment (i.e. 2 control nodes).

Hehe
    Some form of delay for spinning fan control down is exactly what I planned to add to Afterburner v2.0.0 this summer (ETA is around Jule). There will be an option allowing you to customize temeprature hysteresis and adjust it within 0-15C range (0 is used by default). Defining non-zero temeprature hysteresis value results in the following changes in automatic fan speed control algorithm:

- Last temperature value causing fan speed to change is being latched.
    - When temperature is decreasing no fan speed changes are not allowed while the diffference between latched and current temperature values is less than hysteresis values.

Attached screenshot with emulated temperature sine changes illustrates the result of defining 10C temperature hysteresis on 1-to-1 temperature->fan speed curve.

The reason is simple: there is no public RT version with 5800 sereies support yet.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.