Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cartman372, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Okay, here's the problem. I just received my HD 4850 3 or so days ago. And I've been running F@H GPU. Now the temps are up to 82C, but the damn auto speed controller or w/e its called that comes on the card. Is only running the fan at 31% which is pretty much 2200RPM. With a GPU load of 70+ percent.

Now I'm not liking these temps at all, nor am I liking the fan controller. Can someone help me find a program that can controll the HD4850 fan?

2. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    Well its not the auto speed controller that is the issue. Its the temps that ATi set as safe and the speed they thought would suffice. Currently there is no program that can control fan on these cards. Soon there will be rivatuner to do exactly that but not yet. You could just be like the rest of us proud 4850 owners and get an aftermarket cooler for it. I got the ThermalTake DuOrb vga cooler. As for those temps, they are well within operating temperature, but i agree that they are just too high for these cards.

3. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    well my 4870 sits at 76deg and goes upto about 85deg playing games but that is well within ati"s guide line

4. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070

5. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    hope that ati mini-oven inside my case is also within m-audio's guide-line, and intel's guide-line, and western digital's guide-line and nec's guide-line and sirtec's guide-line and mushkin's guide-line and... you get the point

6. buster2010

buster2010 New Member

GPU:
    VisionTek HD4850 512mb
    I have the VisionTek 4850 and I got my temps to drop by unplugging the wire that controlled the fan speed on my card it was the blue wire but the fan is kinda loud.

7. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    lol ya i bet it is loud. Ati set the fan speed for a reason ;) DuOrb is really quiet and cools well. not to mention it lets you only take up 2 slots unlike some aftermarket cooling

8. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    if you make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive( make sure clock and memory settings are correct). You can then go to the file "C:\Users\Bretware\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Bretware.XML. the xml file will have the same name as the catalyst profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
    <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="0" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="65" />

Change the value to "manual" and Want value to "65"

Save the file then reload your profile in catalyst.

65% seemed perfect for me, 70% was loud but you may need it if your case has poor air flow.

You will may have to select the profile everytime you start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp.
    Good Luck ,bretware

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  9. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Amazing! Thank you very much! It worked perfectly, and within the first minute the temps dropped from 82C to 52C running on 70% speed (which isn't that loud)

Problem is, when I tried 100% (just for ****s and giggles) after 20 seconds or so the fan started to buzz.

10. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Damn man, you're a Genius. Works like a charm but fan at 65% sounds like a hair dryer for me. I'll find something I can live with. I'll be spreading the word but giving you credit if you don't mind.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008

11. gexx

gexx Member

GPU:
    ati HIS Radeon 4890
    very nice thank you works great.

12. Rich2526

Rich2526 Member

GPU:
    ATI 5830
    I can't seem to get it to work. I make a profile but it doesn't appear in the folder, all i have is a file called profiles.

edit: i've found it and it works :)

13. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Wow, well done bretware!

Set mine at 65% and it dropped temps by 22C...

You have to set "show hidden and system files" in folder options to view the profiles.
    Also, Unlock the overdrive setting ... if you haven't done so already.

Edit... works after a reboot too!

Great find mate!

14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Works great, set 35% fan speed, idle's at 45-46c now.

With the fan at only 35%, quite quiet, I loaded up FurRenderingBenchmark and set it for stability test, after 10 minutes temperature topped out at 81c. This is fantastic, especially for only 35% speed on a stock fan and running Fur benchmark. And this was with 790MHz on the core.

For those of you who never ran Fur benchmark nothing hits a video card as hard as this.

15. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    sweet thing, thanks man. That saves me buying after market cooler. I wonder if these things work with 4870? ^^

16. sunderland

sunderland Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5770
    cheers for this had to set it to 35 as anything above that was a bit noisey for me but running at 42deg cheers,do you have to keep loading your profile everytime you bootup or will it kick in automatic

17. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Mine comes in automatically... sorted!

18. marc2003

marc2003 Active Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd4850 512mb
    that's great. i can't wait to pick up a 4850 this week. :bigsmile:

19. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    With all the hell we went through with the 3800 series with the fan speed and we could have just edited an xml file this whole time!!!???!!!

20. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Sorry about that, It will keep the settings with out having to reload the the profile on reboot.

A few things about ati cooling,
    Fans running at the highest speeds can cause two problems, the first is virbration that can cause problems on boards that do not have a locking retainer. 2nd I've seen fan speeds about 80% and over tax some power supplys causing random shut downs.

80c is way too hot!!!!!!!!, 80 degrees Celsius = 176 degrees Fahrenheit.

Between 50c and 65c is what i'm getting(Fan at 50 now). 65c is where i draw the line.

bretware
    Should work with the 4870, but it would be better if i could get the auto target temp. working or a fix from ATI