View Single Post
Need help?
Old
  (#60)
El Bastardo

Videocard: EVGA e-GeForce 9800 GX2
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus Formula
Memory: 4 x 2 GB Corsair XMS2 (DDR2-1066)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty & Teufel 7.1
PSU: Enermax MODU82+ 625W ATX 2.2
Exclamation Need help? - 03-04-2008, 12:29 | posts: 16 | Location: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
I've posted a new RivaTuner v2.07 Guide on my site.
Really good job indeed. Nothing new for me but really informative and compact.
What I can offer you for your guide is additional explanation for the difficult part of the "automated fan control".

I for myself also were in the situation of finding the "best" settings for my graphics card and used various information from the forums here and wrote this excel spreadsheet for myself to help determining good settings for the automated fan control. If you wish you can use it or information from it for your guide.

What your guide lacks in this passage is mainly more information about how to disable dynamic Trange control, some more nice formulas and examples.
You can also add the information that the new 8800 GTS 512 MB has an offset of 8 C.

I would also like to see more information about the more difficult parts of this great piece of software like the StatisticsServer and for example how to use the screen capture feature right (something I do not know well enough yet).

So here's a link to the spreadsheet.
I locked all cells except the ones in gold (B2-B4 & B6) color where you should enter values:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php? f=f4519c791b02d73d320fcccfcb550c66

Additional explanation for usage:
The document has my current values saved as default.
Think for yourself about your desired duty cycle min and max and your desired temperature min and max and fill them in and the exact best T range will be calculated.

But you can not just choose this exact value, you can only use the values listed in the table on the bottom left ("T range of your choice"). So choose the value which is closest to the calculated one.

To disable the "dynamic T min control" you have to alter the three values given in the table section. Use the three values noted there (151, 0, 151) but in general it's important to use values so high that your card will never reach such temperatures. I found the information that 191 is the absolute maximum the DLL-plugin can handle so these values are appropriate.

Column C and D will give you information about your fan with the chosen T Range (B5). Which speed at which temperature.
I capped the temperature column to "realistic" values (why making it too long and unclear with temperature values from 1 to 100).

At least cell E4 and F5 are (more or less) just for fun *cough* I mean information ^_^
I had some formulas left and wanted to use them anyway so these cells take into consideration your chosen values from the gold colored cells and calculate the mathematically best and exactest values for T min and max.
Sure you can not choose decimal places but these two values would be the calculated optimum (that's why I named the columns "optimum".

-----------------------------------------

So all this "theory" summarized with this example using my own card and settings:

Think about your desired values. For my 8800 GTS 512 it was easy. I just chose the default cycles of 36% minimum and a logically "full speed" at max (100%) and temperatures that "fit" my chip and I think are healthy so up to 60 C everything is OK with the chip and the fan can run at 36% but no more than 70 C please. So I chose a T range of 10.

With this my card runs at the following real temperatures:

Idle and underclocked for 2D at 395/990/470 MHz: 43-45 C
Idle and overclocked at 700/1835/990 MHz: 48 C
In Crysis and extreme overclocked at 810/1890/1152 MHz: not more than 64 C

Feel free to ask about everything unknown and if desired use the spreadsheet for your calculation!!

Last edited by El Bastardo; 03-10-2008 at 13:21.