[TwinTech 8800GT 512Mb HeatPipe Edition] Core temperature reports 0.

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by SinRJ, Jan 27, 2008.

1. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Unwinder do you have a clue why RT and SpeedFan shows same temperatures both GPU and PCB but GPU-Z 0.1.6 show same PCB temperature and ~8°C lower on GPU?

[​IMG]

2. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    well, it might be a bit lat, but here is the info off my inno3d 8800 gts 512:

Reg 20008 : c00836d0
    Reg 20400 : 00000000​

rivatuner reports a core temp of 52C (built-in dataprovider selected as datasource)

my bios can be found here:

another question comes up reading your post:
    do i get this correctly: nvidia does not even use the thermal diode for temp measurements. instead the external sensor in the adt7473 is used. there is just the offset added to the reading of the external sensor and nvidia assumes this is an approximation of core temperature.
    so when i select the built-in data provider in rivatuner, is rivatuner just blamed by the bios and gets the external sensors temp + offset reported back to display this as temperature?
    thus finally all datasources in rt (built-in, and the two atd7473) are reading from the very same sensor differing only in the offset which is added for the built-in sensor by the bios while the adt7473 sensors are readings without the offset.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

burebista

Peek in RT's diagnostic report in "NVIDIA VAG BIOS information" and pay attention to "Thermal compensation" line.
    Forceware always adds thermal compensation to temperatures read from external sensor. And both RT and SpeedFan are reading data from ForceWare by default. If you wish to see the same temperatures as GPU-Z in RT - switch RT to ADT7473 data provider for "Core temperature" graph.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. Unwinder

Correct.

RT does nothing to calculate / correct temperature when default data provider is selected. In this case monitoring is performed by means of NVIDIA driver, driver selects desired sensor (according to BIOS), calibrates reading (according to BIOS thermal table again) and reports resulting temperature.

In G92 case - yes.

5. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    may be gpu-z is reading from the external sensor directly instead of using the value supplied supplied by the bios.

6. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    thanks, that was how i understood your post and exactly what i expected ...

7. Unwinder

That's what I said, GPU-Z is reading ADT7473 directly without applying any BIOS-specific thermal compensation: If you wish to see the same temperatures as GPU-Z in RT - switch RT to ADT7473 data provider for "Core temperature" graph.

8. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    thanks for clarification - its nice to get my observations confirmed as i already experimented with the various sensors ...

9. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Core thermal compensation : 8°C
    Correct.

[​IMG]

Correct again.

Thanks alot Unwinder. :thumbup:

10. BailA

BailA Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 5870
    My Asus EN8800GT report this:

[​IMG]

Have a solution to read the temperature with Rivatuner?
    Thank's :)

11. Unwinder

BailA

Solution is to read the thread, it is not that huge and contains all info ASUS 8800GT owners need to know. Don't be lazy.

12. Unwinder

Guys, I'd like to see the same reports as requested in this posting captured on 8600 series cards. G84/G86 seem to have similar internal sensor layout and unlike G92 they really seem to use it for thermal monitoring. Any 8600GT(S) owners around?

13. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    OK, I launch your request in our forums. For now Palit 8600GT Sonic+.

[​IMG]

I hope I'll come with other results.

14. Unwinder

Thanks, I guess that my assumptions have been fully confirmed even with this single report captured on this 8600GT. Let me explain my ideas:

Probably many of you noticed that initially I requested G92 report with _two_ registers (20008 and 20400), but it fact only one of them (20008) contained trustworthy temperature related data on 8800GT series.
    According to my analysis of driver's internal thermal monitoring implementation internal sensor of G92 (or more precisely internal sensor of all NVIDIA GPUs newer than G84 A2) can report both raw data (as the previous thermal diodes included in NV4x, G7x and G80) which can be calibrated by software algorithm in the driver and ready to use temperature calibrated with special hardware logic. However, the second register (assumingly containing calibrated temperature) was set to 0 on all G92 chips so I thought that I simply misunderstood the driver's code. Now I see that I've not misunderstood it and new chips really contain hardware calibration logic and unfortunately it is not working on G92 at all. I vote for hardware bug in G92 internal thermal diode.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  15. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Another one, if you need it. Gainward 8600GT SilentFX.

[​IMG]

LE: Two more.
    Gainward 8600GT GS GLH

[​IMG]

And another Palit 8600GT Sonic+

GPU 50°C

Reg 20008 : c00817c0
    Reg 20400 : 00000030

16. Unwinder

Thanks, no more 8600 reports needed. I clearly see that G84's diode is able to report calibrated temperature directly via 20400.

17. levicki

levicki Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX980
    Ok guys...

A bit of a good news for everyone who has NVIDIA G92 based video card -- mainly 8800 GT 512 MB models which do not have the reference cooling solution and lack ADT7473 chip.

Until Unwinder releases RivaTuner 2.07 and an updated NVThermalDiode plugin, you can download, install and use G92 plugin I wrote from my website downloads section -- www.levicki.net.

Be sure to read the disclaimer though.

18. Nicanor

Nicanor New Member

Thanks ... but how can i select thet plugin to be loaded as default ? i mean i installed it and got a g92.dll but i can not select it in rivatuner ! or i hate to rename it ?

PS : i got it .. it works now !

19. levicki

levicki Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX980
    G92 plugin installation instructions

A short guide for those who are not sure how to install and enable the plugin:

1. After downloading, unpack G92.zip archive and you will get G92.rtu file. Double-click on it and you will get the following screen:

[​IMG]

2. Read the description carefully and then click the OK button if you agree with the terms of use. Plugin will then be installed.

3. Start RivaTuner and click on Target Adapter -> Customize... -> Hardware Monitoring icon, you will get the following screen:

[​IMG]

4. Click on the Setup button. You will get the following screen:

[​IMG]

5. Click on Plugins button. You will get the following screen:

[​IMG]

6. Make sure that there is a checkmark next to the G92.dll and exit that screen by clicking on OK button. You will get back to this screen:

[​IMG]

7. Make sure that there is a checkmark next to Core temperature and that the row is highlighted and then click on Setup button below. You will get the following screen:

[​IMG]

8. From the Data provider drop-down list select G92.dll:0 and click on OK button. Click OK again and you should now see the temperature graph showing value other than zero.

20. pirlouy

pirlouy New Member

Waouh ! Nice one. It works for me. And thanks for the guide !

I'll be able to uninstall gamerOSD and SmartDoctor (what a crap !).

I suppose it's impossible but can this value be accessible with SpeedFan application ? I could maybe use it if I were linking my GPU fan to motherboard connector...