Getting auto Fan Control to work

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Conquerz, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Conquerz

Conquerz Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores
    Hi,

Sorry if this is a repeat topic. I am aware that getting the automatic fan control isn't possible for everyone. I have tried all the suggestions on this forum, like setting AutoFanControl to 3 and ForceDriverVersion to 1 etc. but I still can't use the auto option enabled the Fan tab. I have a 7600GT graphics card and I'm using Vista.

Therefore, I am left with no choice but to configure fan control manually. I came up with these settings after experimenting:

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
         Name		 temp	upward crossing	downward crossing
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     30% Fan for T > 55C	  55*	 30		 25
     35% Fan for T > 57C	  57	 35		 30
     40% Fan for T > 59C	  59	 40		 35
     45% Fan for T > 61C	  61	 45		 40
     50% Fan for T > 63C	  63	 50		 45
     55% Fan for T > 65C	  65	 55		 50
     60% Fan for T > 67C	  67	 60		 55
     65% Fan for T > 68C	  68	 65		 60
     70% Fan for T > 69C	  69	 70		 65
     75% Fan for T > 70C	  70	 75		 70
     80% Fan for T > 71C	  71	 80		 75
     85% Fan for T > 72C	  72	 85		 80
     90% Fan for T > 73C	  73	 90		 85
     95% Fan for T > 74C	  74	 95		 90
    100% Fan for T > 75C	  75*	100		 95

(Name = name for the rule; temp = temperature; upward crossing = launch rule on upward threshold crossing; downward crossing = launch rule on downward threshold crossing.)

I've put a " * " next to the first and last temperature because I chose the fan speeds for those myself. I then stepped the temp by 1 or 2 degrees while stepping the fan speed by 5 %.

My idle temperature is 55 degrees, while my load temp goes up to 85 degrees (sorry i can't do anything about that yet... can't afford a cooler.)

I just want to ask people's suggestion on the rules I created. Are they OK?

And if someone knows how to get that auto fan control feature in RT to work, please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Auto fan control is hardware feature, not RivaTuner's one. You cannot expect to get access to automatic fan controller's parameters in RT if your hardware lacks automatic fan controller.

3. Conquerz

Conquerz Member

GPU:
    Thank, but I think I already know that. :)

Also, I've seen people having problems enabling the autofan option even if their hardware supports it.

I've also seen people reporting to have success using the autofan option in RivaTuner, while other's have been claiming that the same hardware doesn't support it.

So which is it?

Anyways, my question really was asking if those settings were good enough as a substitute for auto control feature.

My fan does change btw if I manually configure it through RivaTuner.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There are just too many lamers around discussing the thing they don't understand. That's it. You don't have to enable anything in RT to get automatic fan control working, it is either implemented in hardware or not and it is not RivaTuner's feature.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008

5. Conquerz

Conquerz Member

GPU:
    OK, I trust what you say. Thanks for that info.

But this makes me wonder, if I can manually create rules in RivaTuner for fan control and they do work, why can't RivaTuner create these rules automatically for me if I should set the max and min values of my temperature and idle fan speed value?

It is so simple to create a linear interpolation between x and y variables when you have defined two coordinates on a line.

Therefore, if I am able to configure fan speed manually by creating rules, then it theoretically possible to have these rules created for me automatically if I define two points.

But thats not the case, auto option is disabled.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008