Guru3D.com Forums

Guru3D.com Forums (http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php)
-   Frontpage news (http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 keyboards (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366370)

Guru3D News 07-27-2012 08:30

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 keyboards

Razer teases its upcoming Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 gaming keyboards: Razer the world leader in high-performance gaming hardware proudly unveiled today the latest evolution of its critically acclaimed...

More...

Ven0m 07-27-2012 11:32

I can see that besides whole synapse stuff, they added 10-key rollover and USB to the cheaper non-backlit version. Too bad that they paired it with price skyrocket.

Denial 07-27-2012 11:58

I really wish these companies would create a whole lineup of cherry keyboards with different switches. I like the blackwidow but I'm not that big of a fan of blue switches. Currently I have a leopold brown I use for gaming and it's like easily the best keyboard I ever owned.

RavenMaster 07-27-2012 12:27

Great, more overpriced plastic

IPlayNaked 07-27-2012 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denial (Post 4373085)
I really wish these companies would create a whole lineup of cherry keyboards with different switches. I like the blackwidow but I'm not that big of a fan of blue switches. Currently I have a leopold brown I use for gaming and it's like easily the best keyboard I ever owned.

I need somewhere I can go to try out all the switches. I'd hate to buy one and not like it.

aayman_farzand 07-27-2012 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPlayNaked (Post 4373105)
I need somewhere I can go to try out all the switches. I'd hate to buy one and not like it.

The Razer one has a cutout on the box, you can try that out in some store. That'll give you a general feeling of the Blue (which I personally hate), don't know about the rest :P

If you want to buy one and try it out then I suggest you start with the Browns.

Neo Cyrus 07-27-2012 14:37

I had the Blackwidow Ultimate... disappointing quality to the point that I considered it defective and returned it. Several LEDs were of lower brightness which sticks out like a sore thumb to me and the the rubber coating was not well done, some keys had air bubbles which guarantees the coating will eventually come off of those keys. Naturally the store charged me a restocking fee and will sell it to some poor sap, they won't listen to me and send it back to Razer.

Anyway, after an experience like that I don't exactly have faith in the quality of Razer's keyboards. Also, any LED colour except blue just looks weird to me, Razer are going green crazy lately.

IPlayNaked 07-27-2012 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by aayman_farzand (Post 4373138)
The Razer one has a cutout on the box, you can try that out in some store. That'll give you a general feeling of the Blue (which I personally hate), don't know about the rest :P

If you want to buy one and try it out then I suggest you start with the Browns.

I had a blackwidow at one point and returned it. It wasn't so much that I didn't enjoy the blues...THe blackwidow keys are just too small. I was actually much slower on it because of this.

sirrith 07-27-2012 16:14

I like green LEDs. A lot. But I bought my blackwidow stealth just a month ago. Oh well. Its a very nice keyboard.

The Laughing Ma 07-28-2012 00:46

Quote:

I can see that besides whole synapse stuff
Horrible software. Just went from a Habu to a Death Adder, the software for the Habu was simple enough to use if a little twitchy. The software for the Death Adder felt like a fixed version of the Habu one right up until I booted my PC and found it automatically downloading drivers for the mouse, I then had to sit for five minutes without a working mouse while it installed them.

So far haven't found a way to disable the auto update without uninstalling the software but if I do that I lose the ability to set custom mouse controls!

Lane 07-28-2012 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus (Post 4373161)
I had the Blackwidow Ultimate... disappointing quality to the point that I considered it defective and returned it. Several LEDs were of lower brightness which sticks out like a sore thumb to me and the the rubber coating was not well done, some keys had air bubbles which guarantees the coating will eventually come off of those keys. Naturally the store charged me a restocking fee and will sell it to some poor sap, they won't listen to me and send it back to Razer.

Anyway, after an experience like that I don't exactly have faith in the quality of Razer's keyboards. Also, any LED colour except blue just looks weird to me, Razer are going green crazy lately.

Well, I have a Black widow Ultimate since one year, the quality is just perfect.. No coating problem or led problem.

I will call it no luck for you.

PhazeDelta1 07-28-2012 19:23

I love my BWU and Naga Hex. I've had the keyboard for about a year and the mouse a couple months. The only problem I have had with the keyboard is the usb port stopped working the other day. No big deal, i'll just reach 2 feet over to my right and use my hub. Overall, i've gotten my monies worth out of it. Hoepfully Hilbert does a review of the 2013 model. If I like what i read, I might just get it to match the color of my mouse.

deltatux 07-28-2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denial (Post 4373085)

The stealth version uses Cherry MX Brown.

As for the 2013 refresh, I do like a 10-key roll over keyboard, they should have done that with the current BlackWidow keyboard I have.

As for the price, what justifies the >$100 price point. To be honest, they should have one priced at $80 (or similar to the base BlackWidow keyboard).

My current BlackWidow keyboard is great and I don't see me changing keyboards anytime soon. To be honest, I think I'll only change this keyboard if it stops working.

deltatux

Chillin 07-28-2012 20:45

Who the hell buys a keyboard that costs more than some tablets?

It's a keyboard for gods sakes.

Major Melchett 07-28-2012 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillin (Post 4374032)
Who the hell buys a keyboard that costs more than some tablets? It's a keyboard for gods sakes.

Sometimes it's just nice to treat yourself (or treat your fingers - my fingers love my TTEsports Meka :D). This keyboard cost more than my CPU and mobo combined :banana:.

Ven0m 07-30-2012 12:07

I think I'll wait for them. I really like my MS Natural 4000, but it's not Street Fighter friendly.

I'll probably go for non-backlit version. Current regular Blackwidow is over 2x cheaper than Ultimate over here.

Denial 07-30-2012 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillin (Post 4374032)
Who the hell buys a keyboard that costs more than some tablets?

It's a keyboard for gods sakes.

The type of people that don't buy $100 tablets.

IcE 07-30-2012 19:26

I've had my Black Widow for over a year now, and apart from some minor glitches now and again (like random keys typing themselves, although since cleaning that hasn't happened), it's worked perfectly. I like blues a lot.

Neo Cyrus 07-30-2012 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltatux (Post 4374013)
The stealth version uses Cherry MX Brown.

Unfortunately the stealth version is only available through the Razer website meaning it's priced 50% above what you could get it for in stores much like all their other items.

I'm still waiting for a mech keyboard that matches my requirements to become available here for a sane price relative to its quality. With no preference between MX Blue, Brown, or Clear you'd think finding one would be easy.