5.1 Speakers: which to choose?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by dade_kash_xD, Oct 17, 2011.

1. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    Ok well, as most of you probably read in my last thread, I've got my new sound card in and my setup rocking! Now that I have discovered the magic of discrete sound and multi-channel analog, I've come to realize, my Bose speakers really suck! I compared my Bose 701 to a pair of Definitive Technology BP7004 on my same setup and I am ashamed to have the Bose in my home (even though I only paid $60 for the pair)!

I am rather particular to Definitive Technology. I've had a few of there towers and bookshelfs over the years and dearly love them. I'm open to suggestions however and want to remain under $1000 if possible for 2 Front L+R and 2 Rear L+R. I also want to keep my Def. Tech. Mythos Three Center Channel.

I mainly game and watch Blu-Ray quality MKV's. Needless to say, 3D Positional Audio is of absolute importance to me. I want to acheive the absolute best sound quality possible while maintaining the flexibility to go from gaming to movies on the same speakers.

I don't know if I should be going with bookshelf or floor standing speakers? Should I use floorstanding for the fronts and bookshelf speakers for the rear?

Current Speakers:
    Front L+R: Bose 701
    Rear L+R: Bose 301
    Center : Definitive Technology Mythos Three
    Subwoofer:Definitive Technology SuperCube II

2. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    ^bump... no response -- that's odd...

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you go with Bookies, then you would be going with a subwoofer also so I am not sure if you are looking for a new subwoofer also or using the one you have.

I just did a review of the Axiom M2 V3 speakers, and they sounded really good for the price. I am not sure if they are what you are looking for but, have a look here:-> Axiom M3 V3 speakers

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It depends on the size of the room, how loud you are able to play it, and the positioning you are able to achieve with the speakers (in relation to the rest of the room).

Bookshelf speakers all around would really only suit low to medium volume, small environments. For a larger room definitely have floorstanding at the front, it will be much better for music. The downside with doing this though is for gaming, since the sounds coming from the front will have a bigger presence than the sound coming from the bookshelf speakers at the rear. Just thinking of that now, its probably why computer speakers are generally the same size for front and rear (gaming) whereas hifi systems use larger speakers at the front than rear (music, movies).

Without even looking up the Bose 701 etc, I can say the Bose aren't designed for what you are trying to use them for. Basically they are a soundstage speaker, relying on the amplifier, subwoofer, and position to give you nice sound, and is also dependent on the type of music you want to play through them. I'm not saying they're good or bad as I haven't actually seen them, just pointing out different speakers have a different focus in terms of room size, intended use, and intentions of what you wan to play through them.

So basically, bookshelf speakers all around is probably fine for gaming as long as you get decent ones, since the sound will be balanced, but for music it won't be so good (compared to a decent floorstanding). Floorstanding in the front and bookshelf in the back great for movies and music, but may be lacking when it comes to rear sound when gaming.

Are you bookshelf speakers going to go on bookshelves? or will you be placing something there specifically for them to stand on? an alternative you have is to have good floorstanding at the front, and smaller floorstanding (maybe even the same brand and type, but a lower model) at the rear.

You may have to increase the rear channel volume slightly so the volume matches the front speakers for gaming, but its probably the best solution in terms of what you want for usage, positional audio, and sound quality.

5. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    I appreciate it your responses. I have shelves that I built on the walls where the book shelf speakers sit. They are the exact same height and distance all the way around. I am definitely experiencing that right now, where the front speakers drown out the rear speakers in gaming; especially my center channel when I am shooting. I can play my system as loud as I want. I live in a house by myself so it's no big deal. I have some JBL Venue Monitors at my shop that I was thinking to get for the rear and spending some decent money on some Definitive Tech wall mounting or bookshelf speakers for the front.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would go with bookies and a good subwoofer. Aslong as you have enough power you will be more the fine. Just depends on what you want to use and what you already have.
    Your fronts, rears and center should all roughly be the same volume.

7. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080

Since you want to keep that center, and already have a powered sub-woofer, a nice one I might add, especially for it's size :) I would personally stay with a complete Def Tech setup.

If you don't mind buying off e-bay there are a couple listings for new StudioMonitor 450's under $500 a pair w/free shipping. Mind you they aren't authorized dealers, but one of them still offers a five year warranty.

If you want to go with authorized dealer you could get a pair of 450's ($658pr) for the fronts and pair of ProMonitor 800 ($290.00pr)for rears, or 4 pairs of StudioMonitor 350's ($500pr).

Any of the combinations mentioned should match up pretty well with your center for the most part, for they all use the 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter, and have a sensitivity of 90-91 db. I myself would chance the 450's.

You should have no problem running bookshelf speakers and still have great sound quality that will surpass a lot of floor standing speakers. I would run a Crossover Setting of 80hz or 60hz with the sub handling the rest, but I'm sure you knew that.