Why most PC games are ports

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Seketh, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    EA: What would PlayStation 4 even do?

Because of people like him. The tech in consoles is already outdated, but according to him, they're still not using it to their full extent.

If the consoles aren't used to their fullest, to what level is PC hardware used then?

I think it's more and more obvious that latest-gen GPUs are only being used to run poorly optimized ports. :wanker:

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I don't entirely agree with him but he's got a point, the biggest problem right now isn't actually the hardware but rather lacklustre game programming, though I hate to keep mention crysis 2, but it really is an ample example of how badly hardware really is being utilitised by software programmers.

This guy ofcourse represents EA, arguably the biggest perpertrator of the above faults in software develoment, ironic yes, but probably more despicable as EA stands to benefit from prolonging hardware development as it means less outlay on employee training for the newer hardware.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Do EA actually develop games these days or just screw developers out of all their money with the publishing deals and ridiculous DRM?

4. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    ^^ The latter. EA is a PUBLISHER, not a developer.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
  7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The main reason is because console users are gullible, and when they do play a game on PC they play a shocking port on a low to mid end laptop (or even a low end PC), thinking that the computer is better than what it really is, probably after paying too much for it, and then say consoles are superior.

Consoles are holding back game development, thats an actual fact. Imagine where games would be now if consoles didn't exist? the effort would be put into optimising the games for PC and getting every last bit of performance out of the computer. At the moment, games are poor ports, or the ports underutilise the game engine, but more specifically the textures etc they use are console, and they use the features on the PC to make them look better.

You cannot say for a second that Crysis 2 looks better on Xbox than on PC, especially when the PC is using the Directx 11 + HD pack + MaldoHD (the new one coming out) etc.

Just look at what Fakefactory has got out of the Source engine from Half-Life 2, thats more like full utilisation of the game engine! (features and textures), keeping in mind exactly how old the game is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ7pBv0AQCI&fmt=22
    View in 720P in full screen.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

My point was that EA directly influences game development on quite a large scale, whether an EA employee practically creates models within every game is another matter.

9. GPU

GPU Guest

""Consoles are holding back game development""
    not any more [I hope]

dice will have bf3 24 player on consoles and some toys that work and 64 player on pc with lots of big toys that will work \ look better. same game about time.

maybe this will make some console player cry and demand better hardware.
    -while the other dev's might follow dice ,

I think it is a major event what dice has done.

10. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    If I have to look the ps3 hardware per se, I would be plannin a ps4 since 8800gt apeared.
    Power, size, specs, everything had evolved so greatly on the vga world that would make lower producing cost (and energy use).

And anyway, 'We don't fully utilize the hardware' is a fact that exist on computation since the beginning. If intel had waited for the full use of past chips ,pentium MMX would never see the light.

And the Vga is probably at it's peek, all 'techninques' to get more polys on consoles are probably hacks that try to get the best of Cell, because this one is impossible to fully understand: the datasheet has 600 pages.

A programmer would always want to have a better hardware,use it slightly more ineficiently (and stop wasting lots of time fine tunning bogus C++ code, fine tunnin in assembly) so he can make programms more pleasant.

But for countless other motives, backward compatibility, market size, etc, each year sony stays with the PS3 is more money and less headache (for everyone). Only if we could change the specs of the ps3 on the fly, but wouldn't be a console anymore, would it ;p ?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Console games make a mint, they program games for consoles... Then they cheaply port them to pc so that they don't lose too much money. What doesn't make sense? It's that simple.

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Not true.
    They are a publisher, but they have their own internal studios that develop games. They've even allowed some (in recent years) to branch off into their own "entities" of sorts.
    Visceral Games... used to be EA Redwood Shores. But, while developing Dead Space they renamed, and restructured. They are still owned by EA.
    Danger Close is a studio born inside EA Los Angeles.

Also, EA has several internal development teams that operate under the EA lable.
    Same as how Ubisoft has it's own internal development studios, but it's mostly known as a publisher. Or how Take Two/2K has 2K Marin and various other "2K" branded development studios.

13. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    How many PS3 games are even 1080p? Most are sub 720p upscaled and look dreadful!

They don't use 1080p native, because the GPU isn't powerful enough.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, the Cell is useless for gaming, and they nerfed the machine by skimping on the video card.

14. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    I just upgraded from a 32" 1080p TV to a 55" 1080p TV.

LOL, its time for new consoles, the AA is hideous.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    EA won't release Fight Night or a boxing game for the pc ^$@^&@#&^@.. i fecking want boxing game, i don't care if its a port, just release one god dam it.

i can't understand why they release Cricket and not boxing.. who the hell plays cricket anyway, "nicknamed the gentlemen's game" (according to wikipedia).. ..my arse :D

bin laden? lol

[​IMG]

16. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    New consoles would bring more features like the ability to use AA and other advanced graphics. Most games can't drive 1080P and if they do it is at 30fps. An upgrade of the wireless networking capabilities to more current protocols would be a nice addition too.

I'm not sure what this guy is on except the self serving fact that it would cost them less to stay with the current generation than learn a new one. If I wanted to be self serving I would argue that current consoles are holding back the PC.

17. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    why would any developer waste the time on a separate level design for the PC version? they use the exact SAME polygon count as the console version , and then just slap a higher resolution skin on there, and then devote their manpower to developing the next sequel ---- not enough PC sales to justify anything but ports

18. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    Quoted for truth. I'm a PC Gamer so I'm not happy about it either but it is the truth.

It is the same reason most PC developers develop for Windows and not Apple or Linux. If they do, they will just port it. The market isn't big enough to justify anything else for most companies. Games are no different.

19. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

yep, the only good thing that has come out of this is because pc games are mostly console ports with low poly counts, you dont have to upgrade your PC that often to get a good framerate:)

20. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Even if the next gen consoles get released i still doubt that it would help pc games get better visually on current hardware, we will still have mostly badly optimized ports that would need 4 GTX580's to run maxed out:)