Guru3D.com Forums

Guru3D.com Forums (http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php)
-   Network questions and troubleshooting (http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Gigabit Full Duplex Network (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=341962)

jakko 04-02-2011 16:15

Gigabit Full Duplex Network

Hi guys,

I'm having some issues getting my network card to connect at 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex. I suspect I'l end up just purchasing a new NIC for this issue, however, any suggestions or anything I might have missed would be appreciated.

I've recently purchased a TP-link gigabit ethernet switch (TL-SG1005D) to upgrade my network as I've received a new Virgin Media superhub (Which is a cable modem/router with Gigabit ethernet ports).

My desktop PC has an onboard RTL8168C/8111C Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20), I have wired this to the switch and have configured the NIC to auto negotiate. I get a flashing amber light on the NIC initially which turns to green, however, Windows acts as if the cable is unplugged. (No connections are available/Red cross on the network icon)

I've tried this same cable from the same switch on my Laptop and I'm able to connect at 1Gbps with no issues.

If I configure the RTL8168 to 100Mbps or 10Mbps it will connect in an instant with no issues at all, but as soon as Auto negotiate or 1.0 Gbps Full duplex is selected it will no longer connect.

I've downloaded the latest drivers and still have no success.

Any idea's?

Alan87i 04-02-2011 23:26

Check the cable All 4 pairs have to be properly matched for giga to work

jakko 04-03-2011 01:19

From original post.

"I've tried this same cable from the same switch on my Laptop and I'm able to connect at 1Gbps with no issues."

deltatux 04-03-2011 01:37

Is your computer far from said switch? If so, how long is the cable? Also, what category is the cable rated at?

I found out that if the cable is longer than about 30 or so feet:
CAT5 - no gigabit
CAT5E - gigabit OK
CAT6 - gigabit/10-gigabit OK

I originally had a 30-ish CAT5 foot cable from my router to my machine and didn't realize I had a CAT5 cable, and was wondering why I couldn't reach gigabit, it kept renegotiating for 100 mbps speed. I plugged a shorter CAT5E, et voila, full gigabit. So I replaced the long cable with CAT6 I got in Hong Kong and now I have full gigabit speed.

EDIT: My NIC on my motherboard is the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Also, make sure to install the latest drivers from Realtek and don't use the ones Microsoft includes. I've generally found the ones bundled by Microsoft is unstable for some reason (even for my Realtek NICs on my other machines). It completely hard locks my system for my Atheros L1 NIC.

deltatux

StoneyOC 04-03-2011 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltatux (Post 3941958)
Is your computer far from said switch? If so, how long is the cable? Also, what category is the cable rated at?

I found out that if the cable is longer than about 30 or so feet:
CAT5 - no gigabit
CAT5E - gigabit OK
CAT6 - gigabit/10-gigabit OK

I originally had a 30-ish CAT5 foot cable from my router to my machine and didn't realize I had a CAT5 cable, and was wondering why I couldn't reach gigabit, it kept renegotiating for 100 mbps speed. I plugged a shorter CAT5E, et voila, full gigabit. So I replaced the long cable with CAT6 I got in Hong Kong and now I have full gigabit speed.

deltatux

If he used the same cable and got GigaBit with the laptop then distance can't be the issue. Although you are definitely right about cable categories and length deltatux.

My only thought is that the NIC is dodgey (either driver issues or the hardware itself). Can you borrow another PCI gigabit NIC from somewhere to test it out?

Also, you could try a couple of commands to test the loopback to the NIC to make sure it's working properly...

1. Go to start menu -> run -> type "cmd" (no quotes) hit Enter
2. Type "ping 127.0.0.1" (no quotes)
3. Post the results so we can see if the NIC is definitely the issue or not

/Stoney

jakko 04-03-2011 14:19

I've already ruled out the cable and the switch. I've also tried a couple of different drivers from realtek as well as letting windows auto install the driver. Same results.

Auto negotiation mode: Won't connect at all and says "Network cable unplugged" when connected to any Gbit devices (tested with both the router and the switch).

1.0 Gigabit Full Duplex: Same as auto negotiate mode.

10 and 100Mbit modes: All of these operate normally at the correct speeds

I've come to the conclusion that it must be a hardware issue with the NIC.

I'l keep you posted and let you know if the new NIC resolves this when it arrives.

Thanks for the suggestions.

deltatux 04-03-2011 23:41

Alright try a PCI/PCIe NIC card, because it does sound like a ethernet controller failure.

deltatux

jakko 04-09-2011 01:37

Hi, thought I'd let you know new NIC resolved this. All up and running at 1.0Gbps.

All I had to do was plug it in.