Guru3D.com Forums

Guru3D.com Forums (http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php)
-   Processors and motherboards AMD (http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Build Question (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=258113)

drgonzo1971 04-01-2008 14:59

Build Question

First off, I am very particular about heat dissapation, and with that said, I decided to head off the problem very quickly. I purchased an Acer Aspire E380 system in June of last year, and while it ran very well for a while, I proceeded to add on more stuff like a second HD and a video card. I later found out that the power supply that came stock, was actually a 280W PS instead of the advertised 300W. No problem, went out, bought a better PS and everything worked fine. The problem now is major heat buildup and I suspected it was caused by two things: the crappy heatsink and fan that came with the machine and the actual size of the tower (NOT quite a mid, more like a mini).

Anywho, I do a lot of 3D work on my machine. I run Vista Home Premium as an OS, which works like a champ, the video card is an nVidia GeForce 8500GT running w/512mb of RAM, which helped take the load off the mobo and cpu. All in all, the hardware performs well, but I think since the heat problem is an issue, I thought it was time to upgrade the box.

I went out and purchased an Antec case and a cooler master cpu heatsink w/fan (to replace the subpar heatsink and fan). I was able to transfer all of the guts from the old case and transfer it all to the new one, but now I am left with confusion as to how to connect all of my switches and buttons to the mobo. The wiring harness that the old case had was all one plug that I just fit onto the pin set on the mobo, but the new case has all of the wiring separate and connecting them to the mobo is a guessing game sicne the mobo has no printed labels designating what connection goes where. That is my first question to the forum (if anyone knows how to connect all the wires). I tried to search online for info dealing with my computer's mobo, but found no results.

The second question is once I get everything connected and turn on the machine, should the system still run like it did in the old case (with the exception of the heat issue)? I really don't want to have to reinstall the OS again if I don't have to. All of the guts are the same as before without any new upgrades, so I can only assume everything should run fine.

These are probably stupid questions, but they are ones that concern me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Skiddywinks 04-03-2008 01:19

All I can suggest is checking the manual that came with the mobo. It usually lists all connections in there.

Your stuff should run like it did in the old case. No reinstalling required.