Guru3D.com Forums

Guru3D.com Forums (http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php)
-   Videocards - NVIDIA (http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Just got a 7900, it came with some spare parts!! (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=177177)

mcpalms 03-30-2006 21:00

Just got a 7900, it came with some spare parts!!

hi all,

Just got a BFG 7900 gt, primarily to play oblivion. I stuck the card and it worked fine, then when i went to put the packaging away i noticed a little silver cyclindrical electrical type thingy with the label BH 100 ETZ on it. I thought arrrgghhh! my new graphics card is missing a thingumybob and is about to explode!

So i turned the computer off and took the card out only to find it already had a BH 100 ETZ thingumybob and I couldn't find a place on it for 2 of them ( not that i know anything at all about graphics card hardware architecture ). So i put my thingumybob in a plastic bag just in case, got up from my computer and went to put in with the rest of the packaging.

As i did so i trod on something, hmm what was that, i thought, and bent down and picked up another BH 100 ETZ thingumy bob!! they're breeding! i thought. So now i've got 2 of them, who knows how many more i will find in the future!!

BTW does anyone know what these things are? And should i be worried?

daveid 03-30-2006 21:02

umm.. can you take a picture of what you are talking about?

SniperDaws 03-30-2006 21:05

if they have come off your card then yes be worried, if there like you say spare parts then no, try to find a pic of your card and compare its to see if it is indeed missing any.

Advis 03-30-2006 21:40

Sounds like two capacitors may have fallen off. Contact BFG support ASAP and in the meantime keep them seperate : they may breed further.

mcpalms 03-30-2006 22:20

but my card works fine - though i haven't used it for any great length of time - 30 mins max. If the capacitors had fallen of the card it wouldn't work would it? What does a capicitor do?

Kon$olE 03-30-2006 22:30

Lol, i love the way you've told the story. A great read :)

If caps fall off, its not always noticeable. Someimes, no change at all. Some times, something will start melting. I would thourougly look at the card and see if theres any possible place they could have fallen off of.

Rama72 03-30-2006 22:36

It capacitates ;)
I'd be careful with that card until you've made sure what those things are supposed to do, besides breeding.
I never got spare parts with any of my cards, so make sure how your card should look. Compare it to a picture or in your local hardware-store.

mcpalms 03-30-2006 22:44

You know, i don't think they have fallen off the card - the two connectors that attach the capacitors to the board look too "clean", and from my brief examination of the board i couldn't see any obvious places they could have broken off from.

I think i heard in the past that some card manufacturers included spare parts for boards where some parts of the hardware had a tendency to burnout. Or am i wrong about this? It would be kind of like admitting the graphics card was faulty by design. Mind you, these 7900's are pretty new so maybe they haven't got them quite right yet?

BTW I tried to take a pic of the thingumybob but my camera isn't good enough to do extreme close up

mcpalms 03-30-2006 22:49

ok, i'm looking at the mo for a pic of the card and will compare. Has anyone put a capacitor back on a card before? Will i need a soldering iron?

CraptacularOne 03-30-2006 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpalms
ok, i'm looking at the mo for a pic of the card and will compare. Has anyone put a capacitor back on a card before? Will i need a soldering iron?

For your own good, if you've never soldered anything on a video card before, just walk away.....return it and get a new one, and slove all of your worries, and if the same parts are there in the next one, then just assume that they are in fact giving you "spare parts". Though if this was the case, I think we'd have heard about it by now because the 7900's have been out long enough for somebody else to notice this.....

mcpalms 03-30-2006 23:09

i just checked a pic of the board on the bfg site and the capacitors have indeed fallen off the card. I'm sending it back, from what has been said the card will probably melt otherwise, especially as its an OC version. I'm p*ssed off now. Its such a hassle sending stuff back over the internet, and cheap 7900's are really hard to get in the uk too. Everywhere is sold out. Ah well, c'est la vie. Cheers for the help everyone.

SniperDaws 03-30-2006 23:52

Good luck mate its a pain when somthing need to go back when bought of the net, i bought my telly off the net and 6months on it packed in so they said they would refund me, that was 4 fricking weeks ago!!!!!!

mcpalms 03-31-2006 01:19

I just filled out returns form to send it back. Just ordered an XFX 7900gt, 9 due today apparently. Yeh, we'll see, i'm not holding my breath. Nearly ordered a gainward bliss 7800 512mb for same price cos i could get it in a few days. Actually paid for it, then cancelled. i thought wtf am I doing? Why buy old tech at the same price as new? I'm so desperate to play oblivion though. Then i thought, why not use the card I'm sending back until they come and pick it up? hopefully by then the new card will have arrived (in 1 piece this time i hope) and everything will be hunky dory :)

dusty909 03-31-2006 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpalms
I think i heard in the past that some card manufacturers included spare parts for boards where some parts of the hardware had a tendency to burnout.

I doubt the manufacturer would want your average Joe attemptimg to solder components back on to the card on their own. You can imagine the tech support nightmare in that situation.