Ati driver problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by raclimja, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raclimja

raclimja Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    so i got myself a used ASUS HD 4870 X2 2GB TOP GDDR5 512bit

and the drivers are CRAP!!!

i used the latest one (Catalyst 11.8 + CAP 11.8 CAP2) and the performance SUCKS!!!

i got flickering in Dirt 3 while in menus and when in game the rain and water looks is flickering white mass of blob:bang:

also in GTA4 the performance is an absolute disaster

so i went ahead and downgrade to 10.5 and it seems it gave me the best FPS so far and i also installed the 11.8 CAP2 on top of it in hope that crossfire would work

crossfire does not work in F1 2010

this is RIDICULOUS! :bang::bang::bang:

can you recommend me the best driver for HD 4870 x2 that would give me the best performance, crossfire compatibility and stability

2. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    delete your browser :puke2:

3. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Yawn...

4. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    /format C:

5. Isbre

Isbre Guest

GPU:
    290X Matrix H2O
    Punch the computer a couple of times. Some times it works for me when it's acting up.

6. usuk

usuk Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 7970 @ 1100
    I know the pain with the 4870x2. I remember back 9.12's were the bomb. No 2d to 3d change and oc'ing was simple and the clocks didn't change. I still have my sapphire 4870x2 and just done a clean os install with 11.8 and 11.8 cap2. holy microstudder batman. But 10.5b and i think 10.6 ? were the best for that card in my rig. It's pretty funny to see toms hardware rate this card high on the pole still. ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,2997-7.html ). Its a great card for 1680x1050 but in 1080x1920 for gaming time to turn the quality down a notch. Just remember AMD/ATI driver suck. You should not need workarounds for a video card to work properly. And powerplay PSSSST sucks. Its the #1 reason for crashes. I know both have issues but the award goes to AMD/ATI. (APPLAUSE)

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    1080x1920 is awesome !!

Maybe your card needs some baking... maybe your whole computer while at it.

<< Proud owner of 4870x2 + 4890

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The 4870X2 is the disaster here, not the drivers. Don't be surprised if your graphical issues are the VRAM being toast.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OP, Broadway called for you - something about missing it's star Drama Queen...?

Or just delete computer.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  10. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    YES!!! ati drivers suck!!!!!!!1!1!11!!!!

we all know that! now take a deep breath and think what actually matters in life and realise how pointless, useless and cliche this thread rant is.

And next time u buy a video card please make sure its not a dual gpu card, as they do infact have alot more compatibility problems than single gpu cards.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think he's expecting too much from an old card. He has an i5 2500k, 8gb of RAM, decent power supply, then he skimps on a second hand graphics card and expects latest perfect performance?! Wonder how much he actually spent on the graphics?

He also has no idea what life the GPU had with the previous owner. It could have been overclocked (GPU and memory) with ridiculously high voltage for all he knows!

Its not the fact of having an old card or anything, its just mixing that with a decent setup which I'm commenting on, then complaining about less than perfect performance. I'm sure he could have got a much more recent card that performs on par or better, without the dual gpu issues that face Crossfire (and SLI too).

Nvidia aren't any less prone to driver issues, when they have problems its just 'one of those things', however if AMD have a problem with their graphics drivers, even if it were the same issue, its 'because the driver sucks'.

When purchasing anything people should do a bit of research into it. Just because one thing is good it doesn't mean another is also, and likewise just because one product doesn't perform as well as you'd expect, it doesn't mean the others can't (there are limitations to this of course).

Basically, a little research goes a long way, and asking about UNKNOWN stuff is perfectly acceptable. If he had asked whether running a HD4870X2 (or even a HD4870 for that matter) was a good idea on a i5 2500K overclocked with 8GB DDR3, he probably would have got the answer no.

ALSO
    500W power supply for i5 2500K@4.4, 8GB DDR3 1600 (no doubt overclocked), Asus Xonar sound card, say a couple of HDD's, fans, and a HD4870X2 may be a little on the low side...

12. raclimja

raclimja Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC

can u people stop posting irrelevant crap

and no my memory is not overclocked, it is Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24

and yes my PSU is perfectly fine

GTA 4 has absolutely rubbish performance using the latest drivers

and Dirt 3 has massive flickering when crossfire is enabled(it doesn't have flickering on 10.5 without installing CAP because it is not crossfire enabled)

to give you some clue on what it looks like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4FHnH6iKg

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Build a bridge, and get over it...

14. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    -Used second hand old card
    -Major graphical artifacts

You just bought a top of the line dud. Bad luck, try again.

15. raclimja

raclimja Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    i can run furmark, crysis 1 & 2, mafia 2, cs source,etc...

without any problems so that things are irrelevant

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Regardless of whether you think 500W with that setup if more than ample, its a well known fact GTA 4 is an atrocious port. Its no suprise GTA 4 runs like rubbish.

And another thing, I tried putting your setup into a PSU power recommendation thing (a few actually), and none said that 500W is enough, even as a minimum, for that setup. I included 2 7200rpm drives, sound blaster addon card (equivalent to the Asus, in terms of power considerations), 1 dvd drive, 4 high performance 12cm fans, 5 USB devices, all components at 90 percent load, and 10 percent capacitor ageing.

Of course, different sites had different options etc.

Try the Thermaltake one:
    http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

And if you have a problem with their recommendation, write a complaint to them. A 500W power supply, regardless of the quality, simply isn't enough for that setup, even if this isn't the cause of your issues.

The artifacting etc you experience could afterall be not enough power to the video card ;)

17. sprogis

sprogis Guest

GPU:
    AMD ATI HD6950 x2 CFX

Ok, two little notes, Even though you have an internal CFX card. you are not to use the CAP profile app. It is only to be used when you have two graphic cards installed. I know this since I had asked about it when I needed tech help when I was using the HD 4870x2. Second note is that you need a PSU with 40 amps on the 12V rail anything less you will not get the desired effect you are looking for. I see your system spec has the OCZ 500 which does not have 40 amps on the 12V rail. Take a look at the HX1000W it has two 12V rails with 40 amps on it.

18. raclimja

raclimja Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    oh so why is Dirt 3 have significantly lower performance without the CAP installed when using 10.5?

19. raclimja

raclimja Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC

if your theory is correct, then my computer should turn off as soon as i run furmark or vantage or crysis

so far my computer haven't locked up or bsod

artifacting is only present in the menu's and when racing in rain

also GTA4 is very playable on 10.5 while it is very stuttery and laggy in 11.8

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sounds like tessellation issues. 4870 doesn't have a tessellation engine, does it?

try running in dx9 mode and see if it persists...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.