Edifier 3400 replacement

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by nagual, Mar 18, 2017.

1. nagual

nagual Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD4550 Xfx fanless
    Edifier M3400 replacement

Back in 2010, thanks to a review from Robscix , I´ve bought an Edifier M3400 set (2x1) for hearing music, mainly. The best $$$$ I´ve ever spent, but unfortunately the left channel died. The only similar speakers available where I live are the Edifier R1700BT, wich have good reviews at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B016PATXSI/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_3?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=four_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=3

These have 2x 4" woofers vs 1x 6,5" of my old one. On the other side, I can get the Logitech Z313 (2x1) that have 1x 7" woofer, but poor treeble and midrange. Seem to me, it will be very difficult to replace the balanced sound of the M3400, and his satelites with 1 tweeter and 1 midrange, each.
    Any help will be wellcome !

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Edifier is nice indeed, i've used the s550. Lots of power without distorting.

Right now i have something different, i have the Behringer Studio50 speakers. I said to get these cause they were cheap and i didn't really want something too powerful (sensitive neighbours) but something that is clear and also more compact without too many cables etc. Studio monitors usually are.

Boy was i wrong regarding their power. I never listened to them at more than 40% volume and that was once for a min or two, usually i have them at 4-10%. Anyway,they're loud is all i'm saying. And also the sound is clear without distorting.

So,my opinion is ,if you want nice sound get studio monitors, not necessarily the ones i have, there are better ones out there just that they weren't in stock for me so i settled with those. And if you want more bass you can always hook up an active monitor sub down the line if you really need more punch. But for me the bass is enough.

Can't go back to "PC Speakers" tbh, it's like refresh rate, once you experience 144hz you can't go back to 60hz.

3. nagual

nagual Guest

GPU:
    Thank you Corbus , for your answer !
    I also think monitors are the way to go, but, adding a subwoofer later would not be easy to me, since there´s no much choice, and what exists is much expensive than the monitors themselves.

4. nagual

nagual Guest

GPU:
    Thank you, DW70 !
    I do like Edifier, for sure. Even because I don´t have other choices !
    These R2000BT seem great, but there´s something I forgot to say, I use the speakers, nearfield, and at a low volume, so, will these 120w monitors fit ?

5. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti
    If you are really into sound quality, you could try to build your own set. This kit from parts express is very highly regarded and would open the door to a new hobby.

http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

You wouldn't be able to buy speakers that sounds as good for less than $400 in my opinion and although they are passive, you could buy an amp with a built in DAC and call it a day.

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digita...8&qid=1489974399&sr=1-15&keywords=class+d+amp

Just thought I'd throw it out there as an option!

6. nagual

nagual Guest

GPU:
    Frances, thanks for the advice but I´m afraid I don´t have room for passive speakers, amplifier, and cables.

DW75, I´ll try to lessen to the R2000BT before buying them, since they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Anyway, just to give an idea of the market here, JBL sells the famous LSR305, and just one monitor costs the same of a pair of these Edifiers. Maybe they are 2x better ?

7. nagual

nagual Guest

GPU:
    Well, finally I replaced my old M3400 ! So far I've been using my son's A2 Audioengine, great monitors, no doubt, but with not-so-serious bass, after all the woofers do not even reach 3 " ! I bought a pair of Edifier R1100 monitors, for about $ 130,00 (double the price they are sold in the North), wich are easily found here, and in many other markets, I guess. In order to avoid entering into a series of subjective descriptions, I have to say that I am not missing the Audiengine´s, especially with regard to the bass, middle-bass in fact, and that I recommend the R1100 for those with a budget a little tight.
    Thanks to all who answered my previous questions !