Disabling turbo boost

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Zeebedy, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Zeebedy

Zeebedy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Aero GTX 1070
    Hey guys,

Just finished installing my new motherboard, into the new case. So far so good..

How long do I let the new thermal paste "bed in" for as it was reapplied when swapping boards?

Also can I disable "turbo boost" in the BIOS and run my overclock at a set frequency?

Also to add guys, if I get a stable OC over tonight, leave it running a few days to make sure all is well, can I format and put a fresh install of W10 on and will all my OC settings from the BIOS remain the same??

Thanks, Zeebedy

2. Zeebedy

Zeebedy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Aero GTX 1070
    Thanks buddy, only aiming for a modest oc, and I'm sure the threshold for my cpu is 1.30v

3. Zeebedy

Zeebedy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Aero GTX 1070
    Hey,

Just done a modest OC, on my turbo boost, set from 3.6 to 4.2 and the core as standard at 3.4.

temps on intel burn test peaking around 70-72c at 1.235v

so will monitor a few days and see how I get on, and am I right in saying that stress test is a hammering for the CPU so gaming or basic computing will rarely test the system the same as a "stress test"

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Try GRAW WildLands beta or The Division or GTA5 or BF3,4,5, Rise of tombraider or newest COD from Ghosts on wards, this will show a issue really quick if any,

sometimes all those brute force L2/L3 cache , floating point unit tests e.g. IBT or prime95 don't stress as much as a modern game.

Even fhd x264 or windows movie maker that use x264 with SSE4.x and AVX2 pass (both very demanding and good stability indicators) and then it fails in something like The Division by loading screen :grin:

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For me personally IBT is nothing but a heat tourture test, ok it can be stability indicator too, but not so much like back in old Core2 days.

In that time it idk decompresses textures, all 8threads go to max 100% and yeah it failed, while passed x264 heavy encoding earlier from raw fraps avi 20GB data.

Asus real bench, last two parts mutli and combined are good indicators too and not too hot.

lol you can now put on ignore if u want xD

6. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I had to agree with TJ testing stability with pure syntetic benchmark doesn't guarantee 100% stability.
    One time my friend brought his Ableton projects to work on my PC and crashed in 5m ahahaha. IBT / AIDA64 and P95 was totally stable.

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I think i was related with the MIDI keyboard or/and the real time rendering ... i don't know. But i could do like 20-25 loop of IBT @ Maximum without crashing

I usually do that schema of testing :)

8. Zeebedy

Zeebedy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Aero GTX 1070
    Hey guys,

Played battlefield 1 last night and after around 10 minutes it crashed!

Changing my cooler, new one comes tomorrow and gonna up my voltage a bit as I want around 4.0-4.2 on boost and I will be happy with that.

If anyone can offer any tips or such that would be awesome. Just t keep things going...and I see to have most trouble from prime95 being stable when testing.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You will need to provide BSOD code or something if you are crashing.

Use bluescreenview and give the code, ie 0x101 0x124 etc.

4.0-4.2 for an average CPU 1.25v will be more than enough.

10. Travkin

Travkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1080 Sli
    Might be lack of RAM, ive noticed the same issue when i put in 8gb or ram in comprared to 32gb.

When I had 8GB it would be 100% usage as soon as i enter any given multiplayer game and it would it freezes until i get the Win10 error and when i switched back to 32gb it is at about ~40-55% usage and works fine