Upgrading GPU on Toshiba Tecra M5

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Xplodzion, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Xplodzion

Xplodzion Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX770 4GB
    Hi guys, I managed to get a Tecra M5 off ebay not long ago, upgraded the cpu from a T2400 all the way to a T5800 and the ram from 1gb to 4gb all for just £30, now I'm looking to upgrade the GPU, as it is limiting the laptop from becoming a decent portable gamer, it uses nVidia Quadro NVS 110 128mb which is equivalent to a 7300gs from what i gathered. but I'm not sure if it can be replaced or if its integrated, can anyone shine light on this? I mostly want to upgrade it because the severe lack of VRAM is causing performance issues in even the most basic games right now, thanks

If it can be upgraded can anyone recommend the kind of gpu i should lookout for? i'm not bothered if its not that much better performance wise, i just want something with at least 256mb of vram, preferably 512mb

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    That laptop doesn't have an upgradeable gpu, it's embedded

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba_Satellite_M55/laptop_motherboard_1.htm

is this your laptop ?
    to upgrade your GPU:
    in the case that your GPU is soldered on the motherboard
    1 yes,you can upgrade it,but you need an compatible gpu(give me exact name of the gpu*what is written on the durface of the chip*))
    2 you need an rework station to desolder the bga chip then flash the new gpu with a bga programmer ,the soldering it onto the motherboard and ,yes of course, the skillz to do the job properly.
    in the case the gpu is NOT soldered onto the motherboard
    you can find a matching gpu for the existing one,but i can tell from now that it will be expensive.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. Xplodzion

Xplodzion Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX770 4GB