So I've decided to go Haswell, input please!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by BarryB, Jul 20, 2013.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Yep, finally decided (well a few beers actually) to go the Haswell/Broadwell route and need some guidance in choosing components.

I prefer ASUS boards (even though my current X58 hates my new 780 hence it's in a mates system) so looked at the Z87-Deluxe, I gather it will do x16 on dual slots (PLX) if I want SLI?

CPU: obviously the 4770K, even I could make that decision :banana:

RAM: Not sure, looked at 16GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro but could lower speed RAM be used and still hit 2400?

Cooler: Kraken X60, even though it's not hole compatible with my HAF932 case, but I'll make the fcuker fit :D

FANS: Stock fans on the Kraken are 5h1te and noisy, any recommendations on replacement 140mm fans like the Noctua NF-A14?

Already have a Corsair 1200w PSU, GTX780 and an SSD as boot drive so don't need anything else for this build.

Thoughts and discussion!!

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ram pick 2133 CL9 or 2400 CL9/CL10, my can do 2400 at CL10-11-11-30 but it doesnt show any benefit at OC'ed freq., actually i got worse read and copy speeds in Aida64 (lost ~5gb/s).

That mobo is good, although try to avoid AISuite3..

Fans Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200rpm would be no1 pick imo, but they're a bit expensive.
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=52&lng=en

3. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I'd follow TJ's suggestions...it worked for me. The Asus Z87 Deluxe is a monster board.

My other recommendations would be a Sound Blaster Z and a Corsair H80i or 100i if your case can handle it. I'm idling at 29c and the highest I have seen under load is 45c. That's at 3.9 ghz...an amazing build so far...:)

4. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Think I'll go for the Vengeance Pro then as they are 2400 and have GOLD Heatspreaders so will match the board :D For me price isn't really a deciding factor, if those Noctua FLX Fans are better then that's what I'll order.

One problem I've encountered on ASUS boards is the location of the 8pin CPU connector, if fitting a RAD in the top of the case and you want push/pull then one of the fans will not fit due to it fouling the 8pin connector. A mate has the Cosmos2 case and even in that he had to lose one fan on his RAD because of this. I've still not seen if this board can do 16x/16x in SLI yet though!

Also noticed there's a DUAL version of this board, is that just because it's got Thunderbolt?

*EDIT*
    Just found out that the DUAL has Thunderbolt and an NFC (Near Field Communication) device for mobile devices, so seeing as I only have a symbian phone I'll stick with the normal DELUXE board!!

I'm sticking with onboard sound for now as I only have a pair of Commodore A10 speakers, had em' for years and they still pump out decent sound, besides I don't have anywhere to put 5.1/7.1 system!! The Kraken would be a better choice due to 140mm RAD, fitting it my HAF932 will be a fiddle as I'll have to either tie wrap it in place or drill out some holes!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  6. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Will probably be buying everything from Scan in the UK -Tj- as they have all parts in stock and Mushkin/TG RAM they don't stock, in fact they only stock Corsair ATM for Dual Channel 1800Mhz+ DDR3 RAM so got to go Corsair!!

The only hiccup is the motherboard, the Z87-Deluxe has WiFi which I'll never use so no point getting that! Been doing some reading and there seems to be a lack of dual x16 slot Z87 boards due to 16 lanes to the CPU or they use a PLX chip with all the problems that brings with latency. Would like to pop another 780 in later down the road but most boards will only run x16/x8 in SLI, or fake 16x/16x using PLX :( MSI have some nice boards and have a dedicated x16 slot for the GPU, looking at the Z87-Sabretooth it lacks a PLX chip so thinking this would be a good board too.

I'm going to have to go 780/460(PhysX) combo anyway for graphics and be satisified with that for now. I'll defo want to OC the CPU so that's why I went for the Kraken X60 and coupled with a 780 should get some decent gaming performance out of it.

So, to sum up it looks like I'll be ordering:

ASUS Z87-SABERTOOTH
    i7 4770K
    2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CAS 10-12-12-31
    Kraken X60
    2 x Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Unless you Gurus know any reasons to not order this setup?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Looks fine.

Fyi Thunderbolt doesn't have future, it's going the way of Firewire.

8. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Yep, I chose the SABERTOOTH as it has neither Thunderbolt nor WiFi so won't be paying for stuff I don't need/want/or use.

Anyway, just ordered the lot and delivery is a LOL:

[​IMG]

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    any soundcard in that setup of yours?

10. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    No, I said so in one of my replies. Reason being is I don't have a 5.1/7.1 sound system to take advantage of it as I simply don't have the room for such a system anyway.

I'm also getting my 780 back tomorrow, mate just rung and said he'd read this post so thought I might want it back :)

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Why not a good set of headphones with a soundcard? Good audio is an essential part of the gaming experience.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Then a 2.1 sb for example XFI Titanium HD? :D

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I use headphones 99% of the time. Surely you have room for a that.

14. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I'm a bit of an oddball in that respect. I just can't get along with wearing headphones and I can't stand surround sound, it just irritates me hearing sound from all directions. It's the main reason I don't go to the cinema anymore. It's the old Marmite syndrome, you either love it or hate it!!

15. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Not DSLR quality i'm afraid, 2MP phone camera and Paintshop Pro :)

[​IMG]

Think this will be a weekend build as my HAF932 will need modding to get the Kraken to fit, the PSU needs moving from the top to the bottom of the case so cables will need re-routing and the OS will also need a fresh install due to the motherboard so not going to get all that done in one night.

Tempted to delid the chip as well (Has well :D ) and see what the Kraken does to the temps!!

16. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    Good Idea :)

17. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I'm idling right now at 29c. There's no need to delid a Haswell and risk ruining your cpu. Unless of course you want to just for the adventure!!!!

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Unless you run high overclocks with high voltages.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    De-liding really helps load temps. What are your load temps also what are you clocked at and what voltage?

20. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I'm running at 3.9 ghz right now. Under load in games it stays around 33-40c. My goal is longevity...the voltage is 1.216...a little high probably.