Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    looks ok and probably get it due to nostalgic feelings at a sale in december.
    Have my hands full on rayman legends atm which is more fun imo.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm biased but Castle of Illusion looks more fun than Rayman Legends at the moment, not that I'm saying it isn't a great game but from the demo it's far too similar to Rayman Origins so I'll either get the game for my PS Vita or wait for it to appear in a Steam Sale. I played Rayman Origins on my PS Vita, PS3 and PC so I've had enough of Rayman for the time being! :D

4. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Interesting, may have to fire up the original tonight on my Megadrive....
    (Think I might have it on my GameGear too!)

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I hope the original game is an unlockable because from the looks of things the level design looks to be substantially remixed, not that I'm criticizing that as it means the game will be relatively fresh even for people who played the original game to death. Unfortunately, this is a game I only played at a friend's and never actually owned, although I had read about it in magazines and was deeply jealous at the time as I owned an Amiga. I'm very much looking forward to it - well, the child inside me is - and the HD remake certainly looks superb visually. I love Epic Mickey 2 on my PS3 and PS Vita (yeah, I'm probably the only one!) but Castle of Illusion is generally considered to be a classic so I'm hyped! :D

I was kind of a little disappointed with the recent DuckTales remake though but it was an older platformer than Castle of Illusion. Next Wednesday can't come soon enough!

6. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I'll definitely be taking a look, I was also an Amiga owner back then (BTW - 50-500 Amiga games coming for Win8/RT officially shortly!)

If you want to play the original properly though - £20 should buy you a copy and a MegaDrive to play it on.

That said beware - you'll suddenly remember all those other games, I bought a SNES to play Mario world, now I have a SNES, and N64, a NES, a MegaDrive, a MasterSystem, numerous Handhelds and loads of games!

(And lets not mention the MAME and Visual Pinball cabinets!)

Its an addiction!

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Pffft, lol. Pre-ordered. Cheers for the heads up and the discount code Darren.:)

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  9. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    World of Illusion next please :D

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    At first I thought oh, its just Trine with Mickey. But looks more interesting in it being 3d where the character can go in all directions rather than just forwards and back as in traditional platformers.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    *sigh*

I thought this might unlock at midnight but it looks like it's another game that I can't play until 6pm tomorrow. Why is that some games on Steam unlock at midnight and others at 6pm?

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Uh-oh, I got my Steam serial key for this game this morning from Green Man Gaming and entered it into Steam as I would with any other Steam game. It took a long time to activate (over 30 seconds) but it did in the end but it is apparently called Steam Sub 208260 or something similar rather than Castle of Illusion. The game is not showing in my Steam library either, although I now have a game called Spiral Knights which I don't recall buying. I cannot re-enter the game as it says the game is already owned.

Why doesn't it show in my Games library? I've exited and restarted Steam and it still doesn't show. I realise the game isn't released here in the UK until 6pm but have I messed everything up by entering the serial key too early? :3eyes:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's not in the Steam DB yet or rather it's not visible to us normal users, it'll be added once the game is released later today, at that time restart Steam and you'll see the actual game ready to be installed. :)

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Has anyone been able to download and play this yet?

The game finally appeared in my Steam library, complete with grid icon, but it's only 116 MB and when I try to run it I'm told the executable is missing. When I validate the game cache I am told all the files are OK.

Surely, this game is larger than 116 MB?

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It is, what you got was just the runtime redistributable files, seems they forgot to update and thus there's nothing else to download yet.

18. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    this.... such a WOW game for me in its day...... magadrive foreva!

19. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Anyone ever play the Fantasia game, that was decent.

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Fun game so far, locked to 30 frames though so yeah that's a drawback.