External HDD file permissions

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 26, 2012.

1. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone can shed some light on my issue.

I have 2 external 2TB HDDs both through USB. 1 for music and software and games, the other for moveis/tv shows

The problem i'm getting which is more of an annoyance than anything is that when moving my drives to my laptop for what ever reason the music/games HDD cannot be used untill I reset all the permissions for the laptop to access it. Then when I move it back to the main comp I have to reset permissions again.

The annoying thing is the Movies drive is OK, I can move it to what ever computer I want and its just like a thumb drive.

I've looked at both drive permissions on my main comp and they're identical.

Cheers Guys.

2. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
  3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    There are permissions and then there are ownerships.
    For permissions, you need to ensure that it applies to sub-directories and files.
    And for ownership, check whether it's SYSTEM or not.
    Also, using an external drive to be shared over the network could also lead to such problems, especially if it's on a Home Group.

4. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    hmm thats where im probably screwing up. When I get home ill check what they're on but that being said can only 1 comp "own" a folder at any one time? or do you mean if its set to system then any system can access it if its on the comp compared to just the user account im using. Im confusing myself now :(

the confusing thing is only 1 drive has the issue when i've used them both identically :(

Also that link is very useful and ill probs use it if i can't seem to fix why but i guess what i'm really wondering is what I need to set it to so its like the drive that doesn't have a whinge when plugging into other computers.

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If it's set to SYSTEM then any system can access the files and/or folders.
    If the ownership is set to a user, it'd make some problems when it's accessed with another system, even if the other system has the exact same username.

Did you share any folders over the network?