OC Guide- 2600k with Msi P67A-GD65 5GHz+

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Mr.Joe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Okay, so here it is. Took me about 10 minutes to get it 100% stable and i've been running Everests FPU-stress test for about 2 hours now without any problems.

As you've probably already figured out my system contains an i7 2600k, an MSI P67A-GD65, and some other not-so-important stuff...

The story was...
    I didn't use to be able to boot with anything above 4.6 GHz so earlier today i figured i might look for a newer bios cause i thought there might be some new features that would help me with my oc... It was running on v1.6 when i got it and i had heard about the v.1.8B6. Spent some time looking for it and i finally found it! So off i went and fetched a usb drive to flash it with. (Just copy the bios to the flash drive and open the flashing utility from your bios)

Indeed it did come with a whole bunch of new tweak able parameters :) But the only important thing for me was the PLL override feature. -enable this and you can shoot for the stars!

Here we go...
    So now, a few hours later, i've managed to get it fully stable on 5.1 GHz using the following settings:

CPU Multi: x51

FSB: 100.1 MHz (to make sure it stays above 5.1 GHz :nerd: )

CPU PLL override: Enabled!

CPU Voltage: 1.45 (control center) 1.5 (bios) 1.528 (cpu-z)

CPU VTT (also known as QPI VTT/CPU IO): 1.17, might be some room for undervolting...

CPU System Agent: 1.03

CPU PLL: 1.8

PCH 1.05 (also known as southbridge): Default.

Dram voltage: Default (1.65)

Disabled Turbo. Kept the power saving features (EIST, C-states and so on)

Don't forget to go to advanced cpu settings (at the bottom in the oc settings) and set the max cpu power to 255 BEFORE you disable turbo or it will down clock, under load, to keep it at the right TDP (bug?):3eyes:

[​IMG]

Temps and power usage...

Using my customized H70 with res and additional 360 rad.

In the Everest stability testing set to FPU stress only the temps are (after 2.5h):
    Core1: 70c, Core2: 80c, Core3: 80c, Core4: 77c With the fans currently going pretty noisy at 1700 RPM.

As for power usage it goes:
    100% Load: 315 watts
    And Idle: 135 watts!

...Accordingly to the Zalman MFC2 (whole system of course)

[​IMG]

Please note that these voltages have not been that carefully adjusted to maximize efficiency and the reason I did not do these last step fine tuning optimizations whatever, is of course cause we've all got different boards and CPUs so my numbers really wouldn't be all that relevant when it's "your" turn.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Just ran 3D-mark 06:

[​IMG]
    Specs to the left ;)

3. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    GOOD NIGHT WORLD! :p

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    nice overclock...but those are very high temps as far as i know... for sandy max temp is 72 celsius , and wow you have watercooling

5. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Right. Forgot to mention. The temps rendered in everest aren't the ones that should not exceed 72. Their tj-max is about 95 If I remember it right.
    The one that should stay under 72 however is the same one as reported by the msi control center (II). And that was about 61c so it's all good ;)

6. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

7. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    good overclock.
    IMO voltage and temps are little bit high for 24/7 use.

you got nice setup :) top performance for non-top (reasonable) price :D
    would like to have something like that myself.
    but i don't want to upgrade, trying to hold myself from switching to p67, would like to skip it.
    dunno if i should wait for LGA2011, Sandy Bridge-E. in this case i have to wait till Q4
    for now power of my CPU is more than is actually needed :D

8. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    What's the default CPU PLL?

Nice overclock, but I wouldn't run it 24/7 at 1.45v. I have my 2600k next to me. Waiting for the motherboard :)

9. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Well isn't that a positive approach to a newbies first try...

It doesn't mention anywhere that its either professional, highly detailed nor that it's any good at all for that matter.

Just thought I'd share the success with my world and make a thread where anyone can ask me anything about my config and potentially help out with theirs....

10. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20

Well... The temps in black ops for example with an avg load of 35% on all 4 cores is about 40-45 so the "real" temps are pretty cool alright. Doesnt really ever use any more that that 2 b honest.
    I'd (kid of) agree that the old 9XX or whatever you've got ATM is pretty much all one needs as for the voltage.
    I've read a thread reporting that intels own tech support said it says max safe vcore for 24/7 is 1.52v don't know what it's based on but it said so in the Tech documents. Also I'm not that bothered if it'll just survive 3 years instead of 5 years... Pretty sure I'll get the new top-model system to the summer ;)

11. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Default pll is 1.8000V

Once again 1.52 works fine for me ;)

Mind typing down your batch number? ^^

12. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    L039B155T

I haven't seen anyone else posting results for this batch. Fingers crossed I can get to 4.8-4.9 with reasonable voltages.

13. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

How hard can it be, I can overclock SB with my eyes shut.. definately easiest chip to clock thats been released..

14. szore

szore Guest

GPU:
    Corsair Vengence 2X4gig
    Cannot overclock

OK, I am trying to follow your oc guide. Several problems. First I went into MSI Control center, and I made some changes based on a guide. I saved the changes and nothing happens. It's not saved.
    Then I go into the bios to try and OC and BASE FREQ (10,000 default) is adjustable, but the CPU ratio (42) is LOCKED. All the oc guides I've looked at (two of them) says the cpu ratio must be modified.

I have MSI P67A-GD65, i7-2600K, 8 gig Corsair Vengence memory, Corsair H70 cooler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to unlock this beast!

15. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Sounds to me like you've gt the oc genie button enabled... Also, what bios version are you running?

(wouldn't recommend msi control center for anything but monitoring)

16. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    That's a sick overclock

17. szore

szore Guest

GPU:
    Corsair Vengence 2X4gig
    Ahhhh the OC Genie i indeed enabled. The bios is the latest. This is one of the newest boards that just came out. Bios = 1.9.

18. szore

szore Guest

GPU:
    Corsair Vengence 2X4gig
    Dear Mr. Joe,

I turned off OC genie, and the features were unlocked. I set as much of the settings as I could. The bios may be different with the 1.9 ver cause some of the features you mentioned were not there, like cpu vtt (didnt see it) and CPU PLL enabled (ditto) and FSB (ditto) everything else I changed. I save the settings and reboot. Go into control panel system and the cpu freq is unchanged, at 3.4 gig. I go back into bios and all the settings were saved.. i.e. cpu multi still at x51, etc based on your guide. So the bios is saying i'm running at 5 gig, but windows still says 3.4 gig.

Can you help ?

Thanx in advance.

19. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    way too high voltages.... i reach 5ghz with 1.45v and i havent even tried to lower yet. i just punched in 1.45v and went 50 multi with some small voltage tweaks to pll and llc

20. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    I know my voltages are high. It's either my motherboard or my CPU that's crap.
    Instead of making guesswork I am saving up until I have enough money for my new build. Hopefully I will reach Ivy Bridge in time. I guess it will be Haswell.

I was hoping I did something right here :/ But at least I made a good attempt to do something good.