nVidia GTX 680 Specs and Images

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fxmercenary, Mar 14, 2012.

1. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    Here for the real deal:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/

----

Well it looks like the specs and and a photo of the GTX 680 is now circling around for people to view! For those of you at work, and unable to browse around everywhere, here you go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images and specifications of Nvidia's upcoming GeForce GTX 680 Kepler graphics card have cropped up early on a number of Chinese sites. The 680 will be Nvidia's first card built using a 28nm process and the company's answer to AMD's Radeon HD 7970. According to a leaked slide, the GPU will be clocked at 1,006MHz but will be able to temporarily increase its speed to 1,058MHz when necessary, which we assume will work in a similar way to Intel's Turbo Boost technology. The number of CUDA cores has been upped to 1,536 — a significant increase over previous generations — and 2GB of 256-bit GDDR5 RAM will be included.

Despite the across-the-board spec bump, the GTX 680 apparently has a TDP of just 195W — far more frugal than the GTX 580 it replaces, which uses 244W. The lower power consumption explains the switch to a dual 6-pin PEG connector setup for power. We'll have to wait to see how these numbers translate to performance, but we recently saw a mobile version of the Kepler GPU giving an ultrabook an extreme performance boost, so our hopes for the desktop card are high. Unfortunately there's no release date for the card yet, and pricing is also unknown. An educated guess would put the cost in line with AMD's flagship card at around the $550 mark, but we'll bring you the full details as and when they emerge.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/14/2870287/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-specifications-leak

---------------------------------ARTICLE 2--------------------------------

We already wrote that Nvidia planned to hold a GTX 680 related event yesterday, and it is no wonder that we now have a bit more info regarding the card, while Chiphell has provided a much more clear picture of the actual card.

It looks like our sources were spot on yesterday when we heard that the new GTX 680 will feature two 6-pin PCI-Express connectors and have a TDP of around 200W (190W to be precise). When combined with 1536 shader units, 2GB of GDDR5 memory clocked at 6GHz and, according to what we heard, a very high GPU clock, it comes as no surprise that Nvidia is claiming higher performance per Watt for its upcoming GTX 680.

This is a big win for Nvidia as we aren't used to hearing performance per Watt from Nvidia and now it appears that the tide has turned. The performance of the GTX 680 is somewhere around Radeon HD 7970 as it wins in some games and benchmarks and loses in others. Of course, these are all results that came from Nvidia so we'll hold our judgement until we see some reviews.

As noted before, the card is based on Nvidia 28nm GK104 Kepler chip that is around 300mm² in size.

The bad part of the story is that our sources were again spot on with the US $549 price tag. Nvidia has a card with similar performance and better TDP so the US $549 price tag isn't really a surprise. We guess that Nvidia has additional maneuvering room when it comes to price and we just need to wait and see if AMD is going to bite down and head into a new round of price wars.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I guess the fact it only has 2 x 6 pins (225 W) means that it won't have anywhere near as much OCing headroom as the 7970 (300 W). Have to wait on the frame rates to judge whether the architecture is any good or not, though.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The TDP (if true) is awesome if this matches the HD 7970 and would make AMD's high-end card look like the GTX 480 to the Kepler's HD 5870! lol

This is only the mid-range card, right? Isn't there a more powerful high-end Kepler card coming sometime afterwards?

I'm not interested in owning a card that only matches the HD 7970 as it isn't a great upgrade for 1920x1200 gaming (it's partly why I was disappointed with the HD 7970 benchmarks vs. my GTX 580). If a more powerful single GPU card is due out some months after the GTX 680 then I'd rather wait as there isn't many games that tax my GTX 580 nevermind a GTX 680 at the resolution I play at. Most games run at 60 fps or near enough and that is absolutely fine for me.

4. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    need to see some actual benchmarks, but from what i've seen sofar i'm not to impressed.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Like I said, it will win some benchs and lose in others, same sh*t different gen.

6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    gonna wait for GK110

7. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    that's the maxwell right?

8. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    no its the high end kepler, maxwell wont be out for another 2 years-ish.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I hope the reviews turn out positive compared to the 580.

I most likely end up buying it anyways because i badly need more than 1.5Gb VRam for Skyrim.

I would end up buying the 4GB Version tho. But that depends on a couple of things and one of them is Arctic Cooling.

10. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    I will probably not buy it. For one i lack PCIe 3.0 still. Two a good time to change processors is coming up. I see ivy bridge having a significant increase in performance over my x6. I will wait until prices have settled and games actually make use of this card next year around this time.

that 256bit looks like its gonna be a ivy bridge purchase for me.

11. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
  12. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    From what I understand, this is the mid-range card nVidia is releasing.

13. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Yeah. Mid-to-high range actually, that is anything at around 200W power rating. Spend $550 to purchase one of these now and then spend another $550 by the end of the year for the actual ~300W unit (that will be the same with a larger core & memory interface).

A 300 mm^2 GPU with 256-bit memory interface normally has a production cost that is far from justifying an $550 retail price. Of course, bad yields and rumors of TSMC raising 28nm prices on NVIDIA/AMD due to Apple getting in the game, can change that, but I'm not impressed to say the least.

14. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    Yep for absurd price, that's if 549$ is true.

imo its max 350-380$/€ for what it offers. Nvidia can forget rivaling AMD's "high end" excuse, AMD would be forced to lower prices anyway.. Maybe even release GCN Tenerife sooner, even better for us :nerd:

The way i see it GCN is AMD/ATI's 9700pro gem and Nv is just playing along.. I mean AMD copied nvidia's cuda unified approach and actually outdone nvidia that's been using it since Geforce 8800 (G80).. lol funny outcome :D

15. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    no, there is no GK110. Nvidia said that the GK104 is the flagship card.
    [​IMG]

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    makes no sense.
    [​IMG]

the release schedule seems like the same as the 6000 series and the 7000 came out less than a year after it.

17. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    @Isidore

How can Maxwell stand for codename GK110, if the K means Kepler ^^

Maxwell could be GM110

And if you look closely NV Mod quoted that guy and said they didnt leak any info regarding his facts.

But i agree when he said we won't see GK110 anytime soon.. Well unless AMD starts a new round with Tenerife, which i hope they do, so we get stronger gpus really worth their price. :)

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If it can beat the 7970 why is it an absurd price? People pay the same for a 7970...i don't see the problem.

19. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    If you're a "blind tech slave" then go ahead and pay 550$ :D

20. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    I think that Nvidia is doing Marketing Research now. Many of us here or on many other websites consider the price tag of $500-600 too expensive for this card and would wait for GK110 cards. Then they will think about it. Their main point is how to make a profit. If many of us hold onto what we have now, they need to release GK110 cards earlier and/or reduce a price of this card. I don't trust anything that Nvidia guy talk about GK110 cards at this moment. Their main point is to make us to buy this so-called gtx680 right now at the highest price possible and to make money. They will say anthing that they want for this purpose.